Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Elric Books Reprinting in US

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's fantastic news!
    I'm looking forward to New Elric reprints contains Amano's illustrations.

Comment

Sounds exciting. I understand that the basic mythology isn't going to change, but how much is? You know, I'm one of those lousy lower class types who want to know everything, but don't have the dough to hand out every time a few spelling errors are corrected. Will there be anything significantly new?

[EDIT: Oh, and welcome to Lulu. I always had a soft spot for lupins.]
      "If the environment were a bank, we would already have saved it." -Graffitti.

Comment

Excellent news! I've been getting tired of explaining to people who Elric is because the books are vanishingly scarce on bookstore shelves nowadays.

Speaking of which, I'd kinda like to see mass-market paperback editions again. Trade paperbacks are fine, but they seem to come and go quckly in bookstores, aren't stocked in as large quantities, and tend to be pricier. Since the original novels were short (certainly by today's bloated standards), two of 'em could be included in each volume, a bit like an Ace double.

Illustrations.... I'm curious to see what my e-friend Travis Smith could do for a cover. He's best-known for doing album covers, primarily for metal bands (an astonishing number and range of styles, really), but a lot of his work tends to be dark and kinda 'evil.' Which could be a Good Thing with Elric, of course. :D

Comment

Be glad to add him to the list but I suspect they have their own ideas. The Howard trades have stayed pretty visible, at least in the shops I've seen, and I know various buyers have been asking when they'll be out again, so with luck they'll stay as trades for a while, though like the REHs at a reasonable price. I'm much looking forward to them coming out again, being extremely impressed by Del Reys other publishing. The editor there, Betsy Mitchell, is also the editor who bought the last three Elrics which came out from Warner. She moved to DR a while ago.

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in Europe:
          The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
          Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in the USA:
          The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
          Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

Originally posted by Pellaz
            Speaking of which, I'd kinda like to see mass-market paperback editions again. Trade paperbacks are fine, but they seem to come and go quckly in bookstores, aren't stocked in as large quantities, and tend to be pricier.
            Forgive my ignorance, but what is the difference between mass-market and trade? And, why the difference?

Tony

Comment

Basically...

Mass markets are usually around 6" X 9" in size and tend to be printed on rough paper. Almost always cost around $6.99-7.99.

Trades are a little larger in size, and are generally printed on better quality paper. They usually cost upwards of $12-$16 on average.

Here's some more info:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mass_market_paperback

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trade_paperback
              Last edited by devilchicken; 07-12-2006, 12:51 PM.
              Batman: It's a low neighborhood, full of rumpots. They're used to curious sights, which they attribute to alcoholic delusions.

Robin: Gosh, drink is sure a filthy thing, isn't it? I'd rather be dead than unable to trust my own eyes!

Comment

Originally posted by Jagged
                ... [EDIT: Oh, and welcome to Lulu. I always had a soft spot for lupins.]
                Is Lulupin "werewolf on demand"?

But this is terrific news!

Ciao,
                Ant
                Last edited by Ant; 07-12-2006, 01:42 PM.

Comment

Hey Mike, can you reveal which Elric books are going to be collected?
                  Best/Mario

Comment

Originally posted by Mario
                    Hey Mike, can you reveal which Elric books are going to be collected?
                    Any word on the order yet?
                    Batman: It's a low neighborhood, full of rumpots. They're used to curious sights, which they attribute to alcoholic delusions.

Robin: Gosh, drink is sure a filthy thing, isn't it? I'd rather be dead than unable to trust my own eyes!

Comment

Originally posted by devilchicken
                      Basically...

Mass markets are usually around 6" X 9" in size and tend to be printed on rough paper. Almost always cost around $6.99-7.99.
                      Errm, not quite....or at least, not in the U.S.

A "mass-market" paperback here is yer basic classic-sized paperback, measuring roughly 4" x 7". The original DAW and Ace editions of Elric here, for example, were mass-market editions. More recently all of Mike's books here have been either trade paperbacks, or hardbacks.

I'm trying to remember what the sizes of books were in the UK (ahhh yes, our sacred sojourn to Forbidden Planet in London, yee haw), and it seems like the smallest paperback size might have been larger than here.

--Maybe due to that weird A4 paper or whatever. That A-1 paper, however, tends to be quite soggy, but adds good flavor to beef.

Comment

Cheap paper has become a reaslity in publishing everywhere, unfortunately. If you look at your books going back, say, to the beginning of the last century, paper, even from the very best publishers, has become worse and worse. Penguins, for instance, disintegrate almost as soon as they've been read! A mass market is, as you say, a classic paperback formst pioneered essentially by Penguin in the 1930s. Wartime paper can sometimes be as bad as modern paper. There's a tendency too to add chalk to cheap paper. This is called 'bulking' and makes a book look bigger than its number of pages might suggest.

The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
                        Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
                        Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

that explains some things, I wondered why I reached the end of the book, thinking there was more to it, haha, the pages were thicker.

"With a deep, not-unhappy sigh, Elric prepared to do battle with an army." (Red Pearls)
                          - Michael Moorcock

Comment

Originally posted by Pellaz
                            Errm, not quite....or at least, not in the U.S.

A "mass-market" paperback here is yer basic classic-sized paperback, measuring roughly 4" x 7". The original DAW and Ace editions of Elric here, for example, were mass-market editions. More recently all of Mike's books here have been either trade paperbacks, or hardbacks.

I'm trying to remember what the sizes of books were in the UK (ahhh yes, our sacred sojourn to Forbidden Planet in London, yee haw), and it seems like the smallest paperback size might have been larger than here.

--Maybe due to that weird A4 paper or whatever. That A-1 paper, however, tends to be quite soggy, but adds good flavor to beef.
                            You're right - I was getting my sizes mixed up. Trades are 6 X 9 or thereabouts.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Moorcock
                              Cheap paper has become a reaslity in publishing everywhere, unfortunately. If you look at your books going back, say, to the beginning of the last century, paper, even from the very best publishers, has become worse and worse. Penguins, for instance, disintegrate almost as soon as they've been read!
                              Well, in fairness to our fine-feathered Antarctic friends, our warmer subtropical climate wreaks havok on the poor beasties.

......."Err, sorry, Prime Minister."

A mass market is, as you say, a classic paperback formst pioneered essentially by Penguin in the 1930s. Wartime paper can sometimes be as bad as modern paper. There's a tendency too to add chalk to cheap paper. This is called 'bulking' and makes a book look bigger than its number of pages might suggest.
                              Is that what makes the pages in some paperbacks (hardbacks, too, sometimes) seem "fluffier" or "lighter"? I've picked up thick paperbacks only to realize that the page-count is much shorter than you'd expect, and the book doesn't seem as heavy or dense as it should, given its size.

I've also picked up otherwise innocuous paperbacks that were astonishingly heavy, with very thin pages, dense-packed. Surprisingly not all that thick, either. The old paperback editions of Stephen R. Donaldson's Thomas Covenant novels were like that, as I recall......
                              Last edited by Pellaz; 07-13-2006, 09:08 PM.

Comment

It's also why a story taking up almost the whole of an old American pulp often scarcely fills 20 pages of the equivalent English newsprint 'story paper'! Mind you, I'm not sure I'd want my pulps any other way, even though I'm allergic to paper dust or, of course, disintegrating penguins.

Comment

Working...
                                X