Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Flora..and generally plants/climate in the Young Kingdoms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flora..and generally plants/climate in the Young Kingdoms

Well,not only Melnobone but the whole world of the famous albino...
    Most of my books are away at friends(trying to make them fans!!),so I can't just have a look.Also Mike is not one of the writers(at least he wasn't when he was writing most of Elric stories) that describe the environment very much.

So,I am asking both Mike and the readers...How do you imagine Melnibone and most of the Young Kingdoms?Some have plenty of deserts.The uninhabited continent(southwest) is rather tropical.But what about the rest of the countries?

Though I really like New Zealanian Midddle earth in LOTR(movie)...I want to see something different!And I don't mean just deserts....

In my memory, Flora et Fauna are never truly descibed .. strange plants in the forest of Troos.

An explanation is that as the humans of the young kingdoms arte not true humans, flora ans fauan are prototyps and not true wheat or cats or .... even if they seem similar ...... subtle differences and so ?

Comment

I imagine the flora and fauna petty much as it is today, I must say. Personally I didn' like the NZ Middle Earth -- not enough infrastructure, for instance. People eating grapes, tomatoes, potatoes -- a range of foods, many of them originating in America -- yet no sign of where they're grown or how -- no trade at all. All kings and knights and ladies and not a merchant to be seen. At least I'm inclined to visualise cornfields and tradesmen and my characters don't light up pipes (tobacco) or have fireworks (China -- gunpowder). Caravans carry goods from one country to another. So while I'm not inclined to go into details of the landscape, I think my deserts are where deserts would be and so on. I seem to recall in the first Elric story (The Dreaming City) I describe the island of Melnibone to some degree, mention a fox barking, things like that. Doesn't a dragon land in a corn field in Revenge of the Rose ? I tend to imagine the stuff being there without describing it much. A movie would be much more populated with trade and regular landscape, I think -- closer to certain French and English historical pictures, which dress the sets with a lot of background detail that isn't explained, but gives a sense of depth.

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in Europe:
      The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
      Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in the USA:
      The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
      Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

Yes,I was thinking that way about the depiction of Middle Eath too.
        Tolkien was excellent at describing the environment-actually he was obseessed.
        But then,in the movie, we see a barren land outside Minas Tirith.Where there should be-and according to the book there were-farms.

Comment

I don't know if you remember the movie "LadyHawke"...
          It was made totally in italian landscapes: woods, lakes etc. I always imagined ( it is a personal opinion of course ) flora of Melnibonè like that or similar.
          Hieronymus

- Dalmatius -

"I'm forbidden to reign, but I'll never yield before the facts: I am the Cat"

Comment

Originally posted by Hieronymus
            I don't know if you remember the movie "LadyHawke"...
            It was made totally in italian landscapes
            Yet wasn't it supposed to take place more in extreme western France, near the Spanish border?

But I agree with your point. I see the Young Kingdoms as a populated, dynamic place; both in terms of people and environment.
            "In omnibus requiem quaesivi, et nusquam inveni nisi in angulo cum libro"
            --Thomas a Kempis

Comment

Ladyhawke was an excellent movie.Yes,the landscape was very nice.I just find weird for most fantasy to take place in a western European-like landscape with some weird places in it.
              For me...
              1.Melnibone is quite Mediterrenean,And so are the cities at the shores of the south continent-it has deserts too.Kind like Africa but it also has snow so it is not so tropical climate.
              2.The southwest continent-uninhibited-the cruddle of the Melnibonian is tropical.Huge rain forests.
              3.The norheast continent is like Asia.Vast stepes and deserts and beyond some mythical countries(like China).
              4.The northwest continent could be a bit like Europe but mostly like Eastern,or perhaps like Spain.Note northern european nor "northwestern".
              Of course I would like to see some farms in order to have a more realistic movie.

By the way,I think that Mike has become more descriptive in his later books.But mostly I have read the good old sagas and I enjoyed the action concetrated style.

Comment

Originally posted by EverKing
                Yet wasn't it supposed to take place more in extreme western France, near the Spanish border?

But I agree with your point. I see the Young Kingdoms as a populated, dynamic place; both in terms of people and environment.
                OT
                Actions in "LH" are lived in an imaginary medieval France ( may be the Langue d'Oc ), the south of France, but the whole movie was shot in Italy.
                Castles, woods, cities and churches you see in it are all here.
                END OT
                Hieronymus

- Dalmatius -

"I'm forbidden to reign, but I'll never yield before the facts: I am the Cat"

Comment

Originally posted by Heiron
                  By the way,I think that Mike has become more descriptive in his later books.But mostly I have read the good old sagas and I enjoyed the action concetrated style.
                  I think there is some truth to that, but Mike has been pretty outspoken in general, and hereabouts specifically, against the philosophy of "world building". i.e., he likes to leave his backgrounds somewhat open ended to focus more on story-telling (the "good old saga" phenomena you mention).

I see his point, and his fiction backs it up neatly, though he can still appreciate a world builder with style and originality, as he enjoys Mieville, who is certainly one of those. There is a bit much in fantasy fiction though, and it stems from Tolkein being the ultimate role-model for success, and the fact that most of the fanbase has grown up on Dungeons and Dragons at this point, where the whole game is world building. Unfortunately, this tendency to try and fit charts and tables (D&D's descendants from Tolkeins massive Appendices) into every backstory has not led to more original worlds in most cases but to heightened generisism.

I'm impressed that you asked your original question in a way that got Michael to elaborate on the conditions of his best known world. I suppose he has to think about that a bit more, as he says, with a movie in the works. For that matter, one of your best ways to find out, might be to look at some of the newer, author involved, graphic novels, and see what you see.
                  My Facebook; My Band; My Radio Show; My Flickr Page; Science Fiction Message Board

Comment

Possible Spoiler:

In one issue of Elric: The Making Of A Sorcerer, there is a wonderful illustration of the island of Melnibone complete with sea maze. :)

That is a very interesting subject about the flora/climate. I noticed in alot of tv shows, science-fiction/ fantasy or other that they cheat more or less on what the environment is, where the food comes from, where are all the regular folk,merchants,blacksmiths,fishmongers,clothiers,f armers, horse trainers etc. Mike is so right on as usual. ;)

and in a sci-fi world, technology is too often used as an excuse to show how needed things are provided in the universe. also, some could abuse magic in a fantasy world as a means to explain how everything is set up.

I always said that I like my fantasy to be as realistic as possible. I am so happy that there is a logic to everything in Mike's books.

alot of the other books/movies have plots and settings that you can punch huge holes in. I know where all you fellows are coming from-you are speaking my heart,hehe. :)

thanks,

-Lemec

"With a deep, not-unhappy sigh, Elric prepared to do battle with an army." (Red Pearls)
                    - Michael Moorcock

Comment

Working...
                    X