Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Elric Collectible

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Elric Collectible

Mike
    First time posting here, loved your work since I was 15, have gained much pleasure over the years reading the new books as well as rereading the old ones. Who needs movies when the books transport the reader directly to your imagination.
    Anyway, on to my question- about 8 months ago on the FPI mail order website I came across an Elric Mini Bust, tucked in with all the Marvel heroes, a cool looking item it was too, based on P. Craig Russell's interpretation, with his dragon helm on and stormbringer in his hand. It was manufactured by a company called Toy-Vault, and on going to their web page it seemed like they were going to produce a line of the different Eternal Champions, with Elric being the only one shown at this point.
    Fast forward to December when out of the blue the item arrived, looking exactly as it had done in the picture, but had now become the Eternal Warrior, with no mention of you or any copyright etc. I went straight back to check out the 2 websites and it had vanished as if it had never existed. From reading other questions on the site I can only assume that there was a problem with copyright, but thought I would ask if you knew anything about this.
    Keep on Rockin'
    Doug

Interesting! sounds like someone is going to get into trouble! The Vanishing Website! They could be elusive traversing the internet ether. Dang pirates!
    Let us all unite and form an internet police force for Mike's sake!
    What say you?

For Mike; for the multiverse; for the Cosmic Balance!

--Jer (#1 MM fanboy)
    \"Bush\'s army of barmy bigots is the worst thing that\'s happened to the US in some years...\"
    Michael Moorcock - 3am Magazine Interview

Comment

Somebody IS getting into trouble. Toy Vault have denied, rather crazily, that the bust is of Elric and denied they ever intended it to be. They left a paper trail so thick (letters to me back and forth sending pics of the bust at all stages of its development, asking my approval) that my lawyer says there were only two words to describe the case -- Open and Shut. However, Toy Vault have continued to deny that the bust is of Elric and that they are selling it without permission (their contract ran out before they could launch the bust) and I'm afraid I am going to have to sue them. It seems to me crazy that they should deny something as obvious and I'm glad to have your letter, Doug, because it adds to the weight of evidence. But it's going to be a long and potentially costly business which will wind up with me winning. In this case I'm prepared to spend as much as it takes to pursue Toy Vault because the rip off is so blatant. I hope this case will, in turn, dissuade others who have tried or are planning to try the same sort of thing. This has happened a bit over the years and it's time to stop it. Of course, once Universal become involved, they will also be in a position to put a stop to such things, since they now have a contract allowing them to develop or determine who develops Elric 'marketing'. To be honest it will be a relief to me not to hve to pursue such cases on my own or with my own money. The
      Elric stories (including what are usually called 'insignia' and likenesses)
      are copyrighted and trademarked. In the early days I was a bit too easy with people who wanted to use Elric and besides it didn't seem such a big deal -- until it became clear how much money these people were making from my stuff. The next one will no doubt be Chaosium, who have paid no royalties or copyright fees for YEARS. Where amateurs are concerned, I have no real problems, and as people who have taken the courtesy to ASK are concerned I have no problems, but when people do this sort of thing clearly in a venal attempt to evade the usual
      courtesies and conventions, I become upset. As I've said before, I have a big black sword in my broom cupboard if all other methods fail....
      Thanks a lot for telling me this. I'll pass it on to my lawyer.
      :D

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in Europe:
      The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
      Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in the USA:
      The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
      Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

Mike
        Sorry, sounds like my question ruined your morning, hope you didn't choke on your cereal. The bust came in several pieces for assembly, and the sword was red, but with runes on it. It might be a prototype as similar items I have purchased are normally in 1 piece. If you need any further information or photos, please get in touch. Hope your day gets better.
        Doug

Comment

No, it didn't ruin my morning. I saw the box a while back -- a friend sent it.
          My lawyer wrote to Toy Vault some time ago, giving them a chance to make restitution and pull the thing from the stores, but they wrote back denying that Elric was Elric, as it were. Since they had showed me the thing at every stage of its development, this was rather a weak argument. I was able to find all the correspondence and pass it on to my lawyer. I probably wouldn't be pursuing this if they hadn't lied so
          blatantly. I'm usually very easy to deal with!

The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
          Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
          Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

Hahaha

I worked for a copyright/trademark atty for a bit and these things are usually pretty cut and dry. If it is even similar you can get a judgement in your favor. Of course, he represented (or the firm rather) Dell, Mettler, GM, etc - mostly huge corporations that have tons of $$$. Universal will clean these guys' clocks!

You should have no problem. I am sure they know it, seeing that they have tried to get rid of all traces of the product (or evidence)
            When they had advanced together to meet on common
            ground, then there was the clash of shields, of spears
            and the fury of men cased in bronze; bossed shields met
            each other and the din rose loud. Then there were
            mingled the groaning and the crowing of men killed and
            killing, and the ground ran with blood.

Homer, The Illiad

Comment

O_O

I've had this page in my favorites folder for a while, waiting to get the free money to order the item, and it is still labeled al 'Elric Bust'. Thought I'd post the link up here since it is using the name, I think it is the same one everyone is talking about because it's the only Elric bust I've come across...if not, please forgive me ^_^;;

http://www.johns-toys-store.com/stor...tem=22&dept=46

If that link doesn't work, if you go to google and type in "elric bust" it should be the only page that the search comes up with.
              ~Goddess Virage, Your Local Goddess of Destruction

Comment

here's a good one too

Here's one that mentions the ToyVault specifically and "Elric bust" - with pic

http://www.entertainmentearth.com/c/Elric.html

And some copy too:

Personally approved by Michael Moorcock, this stunning prepainted bust of Elric Wielding Stormbringer is striking. Sam Greenwell, the sculptor, calls it, "The best work I've ever done." Like Elric, this is a timeless piece. Based on the classic fantasy character Elric created by Michael Moorcock, the albino elven warrior with the sword that eats souls. Bust stands 5.5 inches tall and 7 inches wide. Minor assembly required.
                Toy Vault is proud to present this first in a line of statues based on the mythical legend of the eternal warrior, living throughout the centuries.
                Personally approved of it? Albino Elven warrior?!! Elven!! AHHHHHHHHHHHH!! Excuse me but WTF?!! That burns me up! My face got hot looking at it, of course I am of Cuban decent, and I can get hot-blooded!

That was just one little Google search. Probably more examples out there.
                Grrrrrr, bastards...

I think you may have to dig into that closet and get that sword. Even after you win this one.

Homer, The Illiad

Comment

More

Couple more sites where the bust is described as Elric, personally approved by Michael Moorcock, Toy Vault, etc...

http://www.pendraggon.com/soongame.htm

Eternal Warrior Bust (Elric Statue)
                  Sculpted by the world famous Sam Greenwell, The Eternal Warrior bust is based on the mythical legend of the eternal warrior. With its piercing red eyes and remarkable craftsmanship, it is great for any fantasy collector. Toy Vault
                  Italian site:

http://www.cosmicgroup.it/news_aprile03_4.htm

ELRIC: STORMBRINGER BUST - Euro 97,50
                  Scolpito da Sam Greenwell ed approvato dal creatore del personaggio, Michael Moorcock, arriva uno stupendo busto dedicato a Elric. L'eroe albino viene raffigurato con la sua mitica spada Stormbringer. Il busto أ¨ alto 16 cm, colorato e pronto da esporre.

This text probably came right from the Toy Vault. What a bunch of fools. Maybe they thought you wouldn't notice! Oh and you can get some on eBay of course - they are named Elric as well.

Homer, The Illiad

Comment

I think we should all use our collective internet talents to track down these cases of infringement on MM's work.

I mean, they called Elric ELVEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :x :x

Just for that they should hang. Die, Toy Vault, die

Homer, The Illiad

Comment

I have little to add to this subject other than mere curiosity. I saw a beautiful model of Corum whilst performing a google search, of which I now can't seem to find (although I have the image on the pc) which was clearly of japanese origin. The workmanship is stunning. Would it have been endorsed?

Sorry, I can't find the link :?
                      Call me cockey, but if there\'s an alien I can\'t kill, I haven\'t met him and killed him yet!

Comment

HAHA, thats so funny that they actually have the nerve to say "Approved" my Michael Moorcock! :lol:

Comment

Can you imagine holding up that blurb in a court of law after Toy Vault claims that they never stated it was Elric. The fact that it says it has been approved by MM just adds insult to injury. I mean they could argue that this was on the retailers website of which they have no copntrol over but this arguement just won't float. In these types of transactions the retailer gets just ad/product description from the manufacturer. Should be interesting to see what other arguements they come up with.

Comment

Thanks, pards. I'm passing on all this information to my lawyers.
                            It should all help keep the case short and sweet and could save me
                            thousands of dollars!
                            Anyone who has sent me this information -- please let me know if you'd like a book from me which I'd be more than pleased to send you, since it's less easy to buy you a drink!

Comment

Wow!, the offer of a book is hard to resist. But I would feel bad accepting it. I feel like you have already given me so much. But... (this is the part where I say I couldn't possibly accept, then say I do! )

I don't think I could make up my mind which book to ask for. I think I have most of your work in my collection. I'd take just about any book signed by you (well, maybe not a cookbook :lol: ).

Anyway, you go get them Michael! I do alot of web work and that stuff was easy for me to track down. Hope it helps. I'll pass on anymore I find.

Plus they called Elric elven!!!!

/VonWeiner runs screaming into the night

Homer, The Illiad

Comment

Working...
                              X