Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

White Wolf's Son printing error? [Possible spoilers]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• White Wolf's Son printing error? [Possible spoilers]

Hm, strangeness. I seem to have found a couple errors in this book. I can't tell if they're printing errors or if Microsoft Word shoved the stupidboot into the actual draft on Mike's computer. -_- Be warned if you haven't read this far, upcoming text excerpts.

Gloating, greedy, full of a glee I found more horrible than anything else, King Huon whispered, "Here is one of our favorite subjects, who came to warn us of your revoLieutenant His name is Lord Olin Desleur. This is his reward."
    - Page 777 of my copy, chapter sixteen, last page.

Yet the face actually had quite a kind look to it, and his eyes had wrinkles I'd have sworn were laughter lines. When he did smile, his eyes twinkling, I responded almost with a joLieutenant I was getting used to sinister threats in ordinary gestures."
    - Page 782 of my copy, chapter seventeen, five pages into it.

If I didn't know better, I'd swear it was the evils of a misplaced copy and paste while highlighting a block of text. Does anyone have a copy without these errors who would kindly provide me with the proper text, out of curiosity's sake?

Just substitute "lt" for "Lieutenant"!

It's been discussed before... at length...

Cheers,
    Ant

Comment

My apologies for posting a subject which has been discussed at length prior, but I'm not a regular visitor to these forums and Search is infamous for drawing up inconclusive results or no results at all. Besides which, the prescribed remedy you've given me makes no more sense than the existing nonsense, so if it has been discussed before, evidently it hasn't bored you to the point that you've memorized a proper answer yet. :p

"us of your revo[it] His name is Lord Olin"?

"responded almost with a jo[it] I was getting used"?

Comment

Hm, is there no edit button? ..

Is that LT, or it, actually?

"revolt" and "jolt" make more sense... which would suggest Microsoft Word after all and its nasty tendency to replace text automatically. -_- If that's the case, then I think I get it.

Comment

Samael, there's no edit function when you're logged in as a 'Guest'. If you create an account for the site, you'll find that your (new) posts will acquire an 'Edit' button.

In response to your reply to Ant, I think you've already worked out now that when he typed 'lt' he meant 'El Tee' not 'Eye Tee'. :)

As you surmise, WWS was the victim of an injudicious 'Find & Replace' on the part of a sub-editor(?). What they intended to do was replace instances of "Lt." with "Leiutenant", but what they looked for was "lt." (lower case L). As a result, any word which ended ~lt. was replaced with ~Lieutenant. You can reveal the correct word by ignoring "Lieutenant", adding a "lt" (lower case) and a full stop (or period).

So, in the examples you quoted:

Gloating, greedy, full of a glee I found more horrible than anything else, King Huon whispered, "Here is one of our favorite subjects, who came to warn us of your revolt. His name is Lord Olin Desleur. This is his reward."

Yet the face actually had quite a kind look to it, and his eyes had wrinkles I'd have sworn were laughter lines. When he did smile, his eyes twinkling, I responded almost with a jolt. I was getting used to sinister threats in ordinary gestures."

Mike has submitted a number of corrections to the the text as it appeared in the US hardback for the paperback edition.

PS. Searching works quite well on this site I find if you ask it to look for ALL words and then display the results as 'Posts' rather than 'Topics'.
          _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
          _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
          _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
          _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

Originally posted by demos99
            ... In response to your reply to Ant, I think you've already worked out now that when he typed 'lt' he meant 'El Tee' not 'Eye Tee'. :) ...
            Ah! The perils of san-serif typefaces! :(

Cheers,
            Ant

Comment

Working...
            X