Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Elric Series---Reading order question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Elric Series---Reading order question

I apologize ahead of time if this is something that has been covered---but I was about to begin the Elric series and I saw something on a site I go to often to look up stories and books by my favorite authors. Well I bought all the Elric books that are listed but I noticed something about the order which I thought weird.

Here is the site and if you look at the Elric series listed here-- Elric of Melnibone was written and/or published after The Sleeping Sorceress

http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/m/michael-moorcock/

I was wondering-- what is the correct order of this series?

thanx ahead of time

First of all, welcome. Have you read any of Mike's books before, or will Elric be your first?

From the [broken link]reading list

Elric of Melnibone
    Fortress of the Pearl
    The Sailor on the Seas of Fate
    The Weird of the White Wolf
    The Vanishing Tower
    Revenge of the Rose
    The Bane of the Black Sword
    Stormbringer

That's the chronological order. But it's not the order in which they were written. Whether it's the correct order is up to the reader to decide, I suppose. Personally I feel Fortress of the Pearl and Revenge of the Rose are better read seperately, after reading the rest of the series.
    Last edited by Rothgo; 04-09-2010, 05:59 AM.

Comment

"That's the chronological order. But it's not the order in which they were written. Whether it's the correct order is up to the reader to decide, I suppose. Personally I feel Fortress of the Pearl and Revenge of the Rose are better read seperately, after reading the rest of the series."

I definitely agree. I read the original six and then read Fortress and Revenge which made excellent lead ins to Dreamthief's Daughter and its sequels.

Comment

Re: Elric Series---Reading order question

Originally posted by Norrin13
        Here is the site and if you look at the Elric series listed here-- Elric of Melnibone was written and/or published after The Sleeping Sorceress
        The Sleeping Sorceress was the first Elric 'novel' written by Mike after the 9 Elric novellas for Ted Carnell's "Science Fantasy" magazine.

The first 5 novellas were collected in The Stealer of Souls (later split up and published in The Weird of the White Wolf and The Bane of the Black Sword) and the latter 4 make up the 'novel' Stormbringer (originally published in an abridged version and then restored (and revised) in 1977).

TSS first appeared as a (10th) novella in a couple of anthologies before being expanded to novel length. It was later retitled The Vanishing Tower in the mid '70s.

Another 3 novellas (including 'The Jade Man's Eyes') appeared and where collected as The Sailor on the Sea of Fate.

Elric of Melnibone was the first 'original' Elric novel Mike wrote (ie that wasn't expanded from an existing source.

The next Elric novels to be written were Fortress of the Pearl and Revenge of the Rose, followed by Dreamthief's Daughter, Skrayling Tree and finally White Wolf's Son earlier this year.
        _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
        _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
        _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
        _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

Originally posted by Thongor
          "That's the chronological order. But it's not the order in which they were written. Whether it's the correct order is up to the reader to decide, I suppose. Personally I feel Fortress of the Pearl and Revenge of the Rose are better read seperately, after reading the rest of the series."

I definitely agree. I read the original six and then read Fortress and Revenge which made excellent lead ins to Dreamthief's Daughter and its sequels.
          I read them that way too, since that's how they were published and the only way I could. However, I was envious of my wife for getting to experience them in chronological order. Mike himself has been somewhat supportive of that idea in other threads, though he agrees that the latest three are best read after the original series due to the fact they aren't completely "canon" (his words, I just don't feel like digging them up right now.) Dreamthief's Daughter and the other two new books aren't entirely "Elric" books any way, they're more Albino/Multiverse books featuring Elric.
          My Facebook; My Band; My Radio Show; My Flickr Page; Science Fiction Message Board

Comment

Thank you all very much for your time and answers

I got started in reading Mike's books when my roomate was about to go to a Half Price bookstore and unload a few of his old books. He asked if I wanted to check them out in case there was a book or 2 of mine in there or if I wanted some of his. I saw the Von Bek Hardcover with all 4 stories in it and told him I wanted this one. Well needless to say -- I enjoyed it and became an instant fan. I have just been looking for the Elric series as a few friends told me that they would be a great next series to read.

Again--thanx alot for the help with my question.

Comment

Originally posted by Dead-Air
              Dreamthief's Daughter and the other two new books aren't entirely "Elric" books any way, they're more Albino/Multiverse books featuring Elric.

Lucky me, I just received the 4th volume of the Elric saga From SFbc
              I just read the 1st Eternal champion book after rereading the 1st six books of the Elric saga since 15 years ago...its funny how in life when you love something in your youth it comes back in your life sometimes
              with more force than before...I am Addicted to Mike's writing....
              ther is something so effortless and engrossing in reading it
              a question; Does the John Daker story continue anywhere else in Mike's writing? I loved the two John Daker tales in Eternal Champion Vol. 1

Comment

That Was ME^ above :o

Comment

Originally posted by Anonymous
                  Dreamthief's Daughter and the other two new books aren't entirely "Elric" books any way, they're more Albino/Multiverse books featuring Elric.

I just read the 1st Eternal champion book after rereading the 1st six books of the Elric saga since 15 years ago...its funny how in life when you love something in your youth it comes back in your life sometimes

a question; Does the John Daker story continue anywhere else in Mike's writing? I loved the two John Daker tales in Eternal Champion Vol. 1

Edit: for the record I forgot to mention that I read
                  the SFBC Elric Saga Vol.3 after rereading the original Elric Saga
                  after reading the Vol.3 I just finished The Eternal Champion #1
                  so now Im ready to read The Elric Saga Vol.4
                  I am Happy with this order

Comment

Originally posted by Anonymous

John Dakar appears in 'Dragon in the Sword' which appears in the Von Bek collection (I'm going to assume you're reading the White Wolf versions since in the Orion ones, John Dakar appeared in Vol.2) and there is also a rare graphic novel called 'Swords of Heaven, Flowers of Hell' which he features in. He appears as a secondary charecter in both the Sleeping Sourceress and King of the Swords (in fact, both these appearences are the same, but seen in Elric's POV in one and Corum's POV in the other) and he has a central part in the conclusion of 'The Quest for Tanelorn' which we see from Elric's view in 'Sailor of the Seas of Fate' and thus he makes an appearence there.

John Dakar finally appears in 'The White Wolf's Son' at the very end of the book.

*Phew*

Hope that answers your query.

Comment

Yes Thank You

Comment

What about 'Elric at the End of Time' then? Where does that fit in then?
                        Eh?
                        You see, it's... it's no good, Montag. We've all got to be alike. The only way to be happy is for everyone to be made equal.

-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-

Image Hive :-: Wikiverse :-: Media Hive

:-: Onsite Offerings :-:

"I am an observer of life, a non-participant who takes no sides. I am in the regimented society, but not of it." Moondog, 1964

Comment

Originally posted by Governor of Rowe Island
                          What about 'Elric at the End of Time' then? Where does that fit in then?
                          Eh?
                          It's the fourth part of The Sailor on the Seas of Fate...

And the Elric/Conan crossover, "A Sword Called Stormbringer!" is the fifth.

Then comes The Weird of the White Wolf: "The Dreaming City", etc.

Ciao,
                          Ant

Comment

Elric Series- Reading order

Wow what timing. I just started the 1st Elric book and was confused as to what to read next when I searched this forum. I have been collecting various used PB versions of the series and so have some holes- missing Fortress of the Pearl and Bane of the Black Sword. Now I don't feel rushed to get the Fortress. Thanks!

I am not new to Moorcock, but returning after um, several decades. I read the Hawkmoon series in the 70's (still have those!) and have since gotten the White Wolf Eternal Champion, as well as the Chronicles of Count Brass, all of which adds such depth. Love it! I really appreciate all the work on this site.

Comment

I've read it that way:

a)Elric of Melnibone
                              b)Sorceress
                              c)2 parts of the Sailor edited separately
                              d)Song of the Black Sword
                              e)Fortress
                              f)revenge of the Rose
                              g)Bane
                              h)Stormbringer

But I think it's best to read first a)+d)+f)+g)+h), and then the rest.
                              By that I mean that the Fortress comes after the Sailor (though I don't insist on it), and both are read after the Sorceress.

Albino Tales IMHO aren't included here: I read them as a part of the Von Bek series (though I don't like Von Bek, I like these ones)

Comment

Working...
                              X