Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Gaughan covers (will you sign?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gaughan covers (will you sign?)

I just moved to Austin Tx after staying in Brownsville for three months after Katrina hit New Orleans. My first priority (other than finding a job) was to get something to read.

There is a store chain here called Half-Price Books I was refered to. I found a perfect edition of Stormbringer and Stealer of Souls, uncracked in plastic sleeves for $5 each. I didn't want to miss the opportunity so I bought them along with King of Swords (another beautiful cover).

I'm a huge Glen Cook fan and found his signed 1st edition paperbacks were going for $30 each. They seemed by far the most expensive.

Outside the collectible books section I found the Cronicles of Corum (I've only read the Knight, Queen, and King books). I look forward to reading this very much.

I also took the opportunity to buy a Jack Vance title. Trullion: Allastor.

If I make it to your next book signing, will you sign my old editions?

Also, I was wondering if a reprint could be made with larger text. Either my sight is going bad or I'm getting tired of holding the books so close to my face..

Christian

Welcome to Austin. I shouldn't give away my secret stash of books that I can visit and someday buy, but...

Did you look at the Half Price on N. Lamar? They have a great selection of some of Mike's rarer books (including some signed ones) in their collectible section. One of the head buyers there really knows his stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Doc
      Welcome to Austin. I shouldn't give away my secret stash of books that I can visit and someday buy, but...

Did you look at the Half Price on N. Lamar? They have a great selection of some of Mike's rarer books (including some signed ones) in their collectible section. One of the head buyers there really knows his stuff.
      Hey, thanks!

Yes, I went to the one on N Lamar. I'm finding alot of interestnig new authors as I search the internet.

Algernon Blackwood and a few others from Hippocamus Press website, EC Tubb's Dumarest saga from conversations on a Traveller website, along with Jack Vance..

The girl at the counter knew who MM was and we had a short conversation. I'm looking for gaming and computer groups. Hopefully by the time I get my job and apartment I'll know what to do with myself during the weekends.

Comment

My friend Rick Klaw is a manager at Half-price and has a great taste in the books he buys, also. I sold a bunch of books to them recently. All the Hitler and German 20th century history books I didn't want in the house any longer. I got rid of pretty much every book with a swastika in or on it. A great purging now that Pyat is finally finished! They don't pay much for a lot of the books they buy but they don't charge much, either. I like the whole chain very much. Good mixture of second hand, rare and remaindered.

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in Europe:
        The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
        Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in the USA:
        The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
        Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

Hi Vet, Mike has recently posted an answer that may fit your question at:
          [broken link]
          Last edited by Rothgo; 04-23-2010, 04:12 AM.
          "A man is no man who cannot have a fried mackerel when he has set his mind on it; and more especially when he has money in his pocket to pay for it." - E.A. Poe's NICHOLAS DUNKS; OR, FRIED MACKEREL FOR DINNER

Comment

8)

Comment

I am constantly astounded at all the out-of-print books at the Half-Price stores in Seattle which are in immaculate condition. People must buy books, put them on a shelf for decades, and never ever crack them open.

Not that I'm obsessive-compulsive, mind you, but if someone is going to beat up a book, I'd rather that I were the one who dealt the abuse, and I prefer a book without stains obscuring the text and images, or a book that doesn't crumble. But I do treat them lovingly, so they'll last.

Comment

I think there's a certain appeal to used books, its kinda like finding a buried city. In some books 've found names, buisness card, notes, - one guy/gal mapped out the whole novel in a book mark (dunno why), another had D&D notes, etc. I've got books stained with water, yellowed with age, some falling apart, but its all nice to see the history these books have gone through! :D

Comment

I agree. Condition has never worried me. I'm interested in first editions because I like the feel of a book when it first came out, but magazine appearances are even better from that point of view. I have the New Review issues with The Time Machine in it, for instance. Wells's first novel (though not his first book -- I also have that), somewhat different from the published book. Tremendous sense of occasion. While I'm thinking of selling most of my first editions, because my library is just impossible to move now, I'm never going to get rid of my magazines or battered paperback copies of favourite books. My Stars My Destination (Bester) paperback is held together with rubber bands now.

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in Europe:
                  The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
                  Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in the USA:
                  The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
                  Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

Working...
                  X