Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

A video game based on Stormbringer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A video game based on Stormbringer

Hiya guys, sorry for the shameless plug, but I got sick of this mortal coil not having a good video game based on Elric in it, so I decided to come up with an idea for one. I'm not actually a game developer (yet), but I do work in the gaming industry. I'm aware that licensing issues would probably preclude anything like this from happening, though, so this is just a semi-serious amateur effort for an informal contest among gamers who frequent a popular message board. But since I'm a fan of Mr. Moorcock's work (and of Stormbringer in particular, I just thought I'd share and maybe get some of your feedback if you were so inclinced.

Mods, please feel free to delete this message and/or ban me if I've broken the rules by engaging in self-promotion. No offense intended, I'm just in one of those "excited" phases, and I realize there's no use keeping it a secret.

Anyways, you can read it here if you like.

I must acknowledge that there are certain factual errors about the plot in that document, mostly relating to the geography of Elric's world and where, exactly, his journey takes him. That stuff will be corrected in a subsequent draft.

More importantly: Anyone else but me think Elric seriously deserves a good game...? I've lurked here for a little while and read with interest all the discussions about the possibility of an Elric movie, but to be honest, I think he'd be an even better subject for a game.

Finally, a sincere thank-you to Mr. Moorcock; I've greatly enjoyed your work over the years, and my fondness for fantasy fiction begins and ends with what you've written.

As I understand it (and I could be wrong) a guy at Universal is planning to develop a game. Universal now have the rights, so it's now out of my hands...

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in Europe:
    The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
    Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in the USA:
    The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
    Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

I believe that Universal is actually starting their own development house for movie related games. I don't know if that is good or bad- movie related games generally suck relative to non-movie related games. Maybe Universal is aware of this trend and is trying to up the quality, but it could be just as likely that they just want to cash in on what is now one of the most lucrative entertainment industries in the US.

I hope the Weitz brothers at least have some input into the game, as they are fans of the source material. It would be really cool if whoever is developing that game could come here and take a look at this forum- plenty of ideas floating around here for what fans want from the game.

Comment

I hope I have some input, too, but in the negotiation with Universal we had to sell them game rights in the end. It's a good contract, but, let's face it, it's a contract... I hate giving up quality control, but at least I have it where the movie's concerned!

The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
        Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
        Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

Which is by far the more important thing!!!

Comment

Mr. Moorcock -

I'm a game developer in Austin, and have been a fan of your writings for more than 2 decades. I've also done writing for Chaosium on their Elric/Stormbringer RPGs (and I can assure you that the art is not my fault!).

I would like to contact you (informally) to discuss options for licensing related to the Eternal Champion and Elric properties.

Sorry for posting this here, but I could find no means of sending a private message or e-mail to you. If interested, please send me a private message back via these forums or a direct e-mail.

Thank you!

Comment

I'd be happy to send you an email, but you haven't given me an address as far as I can tell!
              Universal, as I say above, have control of Elric now, but I still control the other Eternal Champion characters.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Moorcock
                I'd be happy to send you an email, but you haven't given me an address as far as I can tell!
                Universal, as I say above, have control of Elric now, but I still control the other Eternal Champion characters.
                Thanks for the prompt reply!

I've fixed the profile to display my address now.

Comment

I've heard that the EA Lord Of The Rings games are supposed to be good (one of them got a very positive review from someone who disliked both book and film) - from what I understand they were given access to the same models used by the CGI teams, so that they could flow from film clips to action quite well.

On the other hand, The Matrix game had the involvement of the film directors, with additional footage done by them, but is a bad game.

Now what about a Second Ether strategy game?

Comment

I posted this before on another thread. I'll post it again here since we are 'talking' about it.

I'd like to see a Morrowind type of game for Elric. Travel the lands of the Young Kingdoms, go through various "Gates" to new worlds (room for add-ons), I think it would be good.

Or it could be a BF1942 type (there are so many mods for this game). Flying on dragons, attacking cities, sailing in ships.

Or there is the engine for Knights of the Old Republic. I'd like to see it kind of open ended though. I wouldn't want it to end.
                    When they had advanced together to meet on common
                    ground, then there was the clash of shields, of spears
                    and the fury of men cased in bronze; bossed shields met
                    each other and the din rose loud. Then there were
                    mingled the groaning and the crowing of men killed and
                    killing, and the ground ran with blood.

Homer, The Illiad

Comment

I can't see Universal getting the game wrong when they're willing to support the film with such a large investment. There's as much money in the games industry as in Hollywood these days.

Morrowind and KotoR are both graphically excellent games but my money is on an Elric game which uses an engine similar to Drakan:

Comment

I think a Drahkan combined with Morrowind type game would make an excellent template for an Elric game. As I've mentioned elsewhere, since Elric has Stormbringer pretty much throughout the series (other than the first couple hundred pages or so), instead of finding new weapons, maybe you could find new runes to upgrade Stormbringer's powers. And Elric could unlock new summoning spells as he progresses. And of course you would find artifacts like the Chaos Shield and the Horn of Roland later in the game. It would have to have a definite end though- the final battle between the Lords of Law and Chaos.

My other idea is an isometric 3d action RPG like Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance on the PS2, where up to four players take control of a different aspect of the Eternal Champion and battle through various scenarios. Elric, Erekose, Corum and Hawkmoon could be the main characters, with characters like Cornelius and Urlik Skarsol unlockable. Each character could have a skill set that you could level up as you choose fit, so my Elric might end up different from someone else's. Hawkmoon could be a ranged attacker (flame lances), while Erekose could be more of a straightforward melee attacker, and Corum and Elric would combine magic and melee attacks.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Moorcock
                          As mentioned previously, I have fixed my profile to allow e-mailing and would be happy to hear from you about this.

Comment

dlackey,

Maybe when they reach a certain point and you have four players they could unlock The Four-Who-Are-One.

The Baldurs Gate-DA model would be good. I think Drakkan is more Dragon flying intensive and Elric seemed to only do this a few(?) times (I could be wrong about Drakkan - just looking at the screens, never played it.).

Or the Neverwinter Nights engine (similiar to BG). Or Dungeon Siege engine (with way more story and freedom).
                            When they had advanced together to meet on common
                            ground, then there was the clash of shields, of spears
                            and the fury of men cased in bronze; bossed shields met
                            each other and the din rose loud. Then there were
                            mingled the groaning and the crowing of men killed and
                            killing, and the ground ran with blood.

Homer, The Illiad

Comment

hmm i think a morrowind style game, on an engine similar to the knights of the old republic would be good.

The level of freedom in morrowind should be definately used.

However, the action and graphics in Return Of The King were very good also, could get a few elements of fighting from there.

Comment

Working...
                              X