Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

stormbringer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
    elrickthood

stormbringer

Hello all I am new to the Miscellany and have a rather simple question...
    In the books Stormbringer is known as a soul drinker. My roomate says it was also a blood drinker. i do not recall ever seeing anything about that in any of the books. Is this true? I personally don't think so so , so if any one can solve this arguement for me it would be greatly apprecciated.
  • Michael Moorcock
    Site Host
    • Dec 2003

He's probably thinking of the battle cry 'Blood and Souls for my lord Arioch!' It doesn't physically drink blood, though. Well, it hasn't drunk any whenever I've taken it out of the broom cupboard... :)

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in Europe:
    The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
    Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in the USA:
    The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
    Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

• Azariel
      Eternal Companion
      • Sep 2005

Another arguement I've had is concerning what Stormbringer really is. . . its a sword, but what kind? I recall "battle blade/sword" used. But I settle the debate saying Stormbringer is a bastardsword, since Elric has weilded it with one or two hands effectively.

Comment

• Poetgrrl
        Defender of the Runestaff
        • Aug 2004

as a fan of Elric, i'd like to reply, but the author has final say, of course:

Stormbringer is a souldrinker. He takes the lifeforce of a being, no matter the size or power. It does not want blood per se, it wants the energy, the life, the animus of the being it is devouring.

Blood is just a physical element, after all, and hardly a concern for such a higher being of the Black Sword. the bastard! ;)

Comment

• Azariel
          Eternal Companion
          • Sep 2005

I made a Stormbringer in the game Neverwinter Nights. Using the editor, I made the sword black with a red glow, which was caused when I added certain attributes "vampriric touch" which absorbed health from the defender! I also add the armor and the helm. I wish I still add those files, I could post some screenshots. . . :D

Comment

• Ant
            Ant
            Eternal Companion
            • Dec 2003

Originally posted by Azariel
            Another arguement I've had is concerning what Stormbringer really is. . . its a sword, but what kind? I recall "battle blade/sword" used. But I settle the debate saying Stormbringer is a bastardsword, since Elric has weilded it with one or two hands effectively.
            This has been discussed in a few threads... including [link expired], in which I reveal that I know less about Japanese swords than LSN....

Gr.,
            Ant

Comment

• Azariel
              Eternal Companion
              • Sep 2005

:lol:

Well the evidence is in the text

Comment

• Vampyro
                Denizen of Moo Uria
                • Jul 2005

Mike, you have often quoted from the "Phantom" tome (I'm assuming it was)
                Chronicle Of The Black Sword
                Is there any glimmer of hope of actually seeing this book materialise?
                it sounds like a history of Stormbringer and everyone that has weilded it

Comment

• Azariel
                  Eternal Companion
                  • Sep 2005

Why book - comic book would be interesting! :D

Comment

Nyxator

Another arguement I've had is concerning what Stormbringer really is. . . its a sword, but what kind?
                    I always imagined it as a greatsword myself. I just assumed that the immense power that Stormbringer imparted to Elric explained why it was sometimes wielded one-handed.

Comment

• Azariel
                      Eternal Companion
                      • Sep 2005

I imagined the sword to be something like this:

http://www.swords-n-stuff.com/pc%2d2065.html

thin and long, enought to be weilded with 1 or 2 hands, or perhaps its shorter and fatter like this:

http://www.swords-n-stuff.com/770.html (this is about as thick a sword I could find, but note the face on the pommel, man that's freaky)!

Maybe the material Stormbringer is made is lighter than steel, so really the weight doesn't matter :D

Comment

• Azariel
                        Eternal Companion
                        • Sep 2005

P.S. this is what a bastardsword looks like, by the way:

http://www.swords-n-stuff.com/pc%2d2034.html

Comment

• Elphaba
                          Wanderer of the Mittel March
                          • Oct 2005

Maybe the material Stormbringer is made is lighter than steel, so really the weight doesn't matter :D
                          I recall Stormbringer moving almost of its own volition, greatly aiding Elric in slaying enemies (as well as loved ones). So, I doubt weight was an issue at all, at least not when the killing was important to Stormbringer.

Comment

• lemec
                            Eternal Champion
                            • Jul 2005

Does Mike have a photo of him holding Stormbringer when he takes it out of his closet? If so, I really would like to see it please. :D

Isn't Stormbringer called a broadsword sometimes?

"With a deep, not-unhappy sigh, Elric prepared to do battle with an army." (Red Pearls)
                            - Michael Moorcock

Comment

Working...
                            X