Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

What about the victims of Elrics sword Stormbringer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What about the victims of Elrics sword Stormbringer

It disturbs me that lots of characters end up with their souls trapped inside the sword Stormbringer. Is it possible that they could one day be rescued from it?
    :-) flamingo

Hmmm

I always thought thier souls were consumed by the sword and the energy given to Elric. They faced absolute non-existence when struck by the sword, thus the look of ultimate terror on many of his victim's faces.

Of course that just might be me remembering the AD&D version in Dieties & Demigods. I have the copy with the Melnibonean mythos in it (also Nehwon, Cthulhu, etc...). Ahh the old AD&D days. In it, Stormbringer is descibed as quite possibly the most powerful weapon possesed by any mortal anywhere. Our DM (Ok I am a true geek!) would always scare us by putting in a NPC (non-player character for you non-D&D'ers) who was an albino carrying a black sword.

I seem to remember a AD&D module that had a White haired guy carrying a black sword in his hands ( it wasn't Stormbringer, it was called Black Razor). Guess they knew the scare factor in that!

I always wondered what Michael thought of the AD&D version of his characters in the Dieties & Demigods.

Well Michael, what did you think? :?:
    When they had advanced together to meet on common
    ground, then there was the clash of shields, of spears
    and the fury of men cased in bronze; bossed shields met
    each other and the din rose loud. Then there were
    mingled the groaning and the crowing of men killed and
    killing, and the ground ran with blood.

Homer, The Illiad

Comment

Mr. VonW.
      is correct.
      I've read the first 6 books three times
      and am doing it for the fourth.
      Stormbringer is like a vampire.
      It sucks the life force from it's victims,
      Usually transferring the energy to Elric
      to give him superhuman strength.
      It is sentinent, so will consciously not
      give the energy to Elric at times... I think there's
      at least one incedent where that happened.
      Sometimes Stormbringer does things against
      Elric's will which is fascinating. Truly original
      stuff! It's not weird to see that in an animal
      like a horse, even star wars had a feisty robot
      R2D2. but for a sword to have a personality and
      behave that way? wow

Comment

You're not a geek for liking AD&D - quite the opposite in fact!

I don't think the souls are destroyed by the sword but they are mixed together and sit there for eternity. I suppose the raw energy of the soul is given to Elric, what remains must be an easily stored 'soul remnant.'

At the end of the stories Elric is killed by Stormbringer then it goes into the sky and says "I was a thousand times more evil than thou!" But where does Stormbringer go then? Does Stormbringer continue on somewhere in sword form or in another form? Maybe a hero could track Stormbringer down and fight it - thus freeing the souls.

I have an AD&D Deities and Demigods book but it doesn't include the Elric characters - I think that they might have been removed for copyright reasons.
        :-) flamingo

Comment

yeah

yes the old version has the Melnibonean mythos in it. It is hard to find (usually goes for about $100)

I have all the old books. 1st edition rules, old school AD&D player here!

we will have to ask Mr. Moorcock about what happens to the soul after Stormbringer takes it to get the definitive answer.

A link to one page with the versions listed:

http://www.acaeum.com/DDIndexes/SetPages/Deities.html

That was the first one I saw on Google. There were more links though, maybe better ones. It is totally kool though, it has Yrkoon's stats, Elric's, Arioch's etc... Awesome if you are a fan and a D&D player.
          When they had advanced together to meet on common
          ground, then there was the clash of shields, of spears
          and the fury of men cased in bronze; bossed shields met
          each other and the din rose loud. Then there were
          mingled the groaning and the crowing of men killed and
          killing, and the ground ran with blood.

Homer, The Illiad

Comment

Wasnt Yyrkoon appearing under the form of a demon (into another book I forgot the name) after that he got killed by Stormbringer?

Comment

I was just listening to the third reading from the BBC downloads.
              source: Elric of Melnibonأ©, Book Three, Chapter4 "Two Black Swords" excerpt
              " ....and kill his cousin
              to sink the blade deep into Yyrkoons heart
              to take vengence
              to spill blood
              to send a soul to hell..."

Yes what does really happen, and why the totured faces?
              Anybody out there been attacked by Elric and Stormbringer recently.
              Nowt wrong with being a RPG geek, don't do it these days myself though.
              Really enjoy those readings.
              Anyone heard the CDs of Elric?

cheers
              Dobbie
              MEEP !

Comment

probably it does send their soul to the good pleasures of Arioch... that case better become a demon, and serve than just being a victim for eternity :)

Comment

And If Arioch got struck by Stormbringer would something like this happen?
                  http://www.hello-cthulhu.com/
                  poor poor Cthulhu
                  MEEP !

Comment

At the end of the stories Elric is killed by Stormbringer then it goes into the sky and says "I was a thousand times more evil than thou!" But where does Stormbringer go then? Does Stormbringer continue on somewhere in sword form or in another form? Maybe a hero could track Stormbringer down and fight it - thus freeing the souls.
                    You have to read the Count Brass trilogy, ASAP! "The Quest for Tanelorn" offers some insight into what Stormbringer is after...

You'll also find that Stormbringer is still alive and kicking in every world. For instance, its sometimes called Ravenbrand and is an heirloom of the VonBek family.

Comment

I've thought about this before.

Personally, I think that Stormbringer sends only a portion of the energy to Elric. The rest is used by Stormbringer itself. Think of the souls it takes as being like its food...It feasts and feasts until it is satisfied for a time (this happens at least once in the series, possibly more) then will just sit back and survive off the energy of the stolen swords. Remember, Stormbringer is sentient; thus, I imagine, it understands symbioses. What it passes to Elric is a small portion of what it gains, but it is enough to give Elric the strength and bloodlust neccessary for him to weild the sword to full effect. Mr. Moorcock made it quite clear through the series that both Elric and Stormbringer understood that they needed eachother to survive...but why would a sword need the energy of souls to survive? Again, think of the souls as food. It...digests them, so to speak, destroying the soul in the process and using the energy increase its own power. The energy becomes part of the sword. Any cohesion that a soul had is lost...and sentience any knowledge of itself. It simply becomes part of the sword (or Elric).

I think that once Stormbringer (and its siblings) takea soul, it's lost.

Of course, this causes a problem where a couple souls are concerned...Elric, Moonglum, a handful of others. Maybe their souls are beyond the sword's ability to digest since they are central to the balance of the multiverse. The Eternal Champion, the Champion's Companion, I guess Zarozina (did I get that name right?) would be included as the Champion's love. These are just single incarnations of these beings.

I suppose that in those cases the question should be asked: Does each incarnation have a soul of its own? Or do they share a soul?

Just my 2 cents!
                      "In omnibus requiem quaesivi, et nusquam inveni nisi in angulo cum libro"
                      --Thomas a Kempis

Comment

If you read the end of The Quest of Tanelorn ( That I just re-read today.) the sword, in its human form is summoned to Tanelorn by the boy that is the spirit of the Runestaff and destroyed by Erekose. My Question is if the soles that have been stolen by Stormbringer do still exist in some form would this release them or destroy them? Although personally I am of the opinion that the sword does in fact destroy them, except those like the Eternal Champion and the Companion of Champions that are, for lack of a better word, Immortal.Oh and as for each incarnation having it's own soul, they must in a way. Otherwise Hawkmoon wouldn’t have been able to give the Ilian incarnation his soul to replace her own. Jess

Comment

I think that stormbringer takes the soul, "digests" it as EverKing put it, shares the energy with Elric (it probably has some energy all of it's own that it builds on when it dines) then it "excretes" the soul into a private limbo dimension. Perhaps somebody could go to this limbo and free the souls but by golly they'd have to roll up their sleeves...

Perhaps the sword's destruction would collapse the dimension, the optimist in me would like to think they'd all get released but the MM enthusiast in me feels that probably wouldn't be so.

Comment

8) Perhaps stormbringer takes life essence as oppased to the inner will that is in all who live. The soul is used for control but the person can still live, as in tales of hoffman where julliettaa takes hoffmans soul via his reflection, A reflection is the testement that one has a soul.

Comment

Originally posted by flamingo
                              At the end of the stories Elric is killed by Stormbringer then it goes into the sky and says "I was a thousand times more evil than thou!"
                              Oh no! Not again! I guess I won't be reading the forum anymore... Everyone spoils the books...

Please people don't do that... Or at least warn first...
                              \\

Comment

Working...
                              X