Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Guy Lawley, Zenith The Alino, Elric, Michael Moorcock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guy Lawley, Zenith The Alino, Elric, Michael Moorcock

Isn't Guy a helpful guy?

http://www.internationalhero.co.uk/a/albino.htm

[image moved]
    The cat spread its wings and flew high into the air, hovering to keep pace with them as they moved cautiously toward the city. Then, as they climbed over the rubble of what had once been a gateway and began to make their way through piles of weed-grown masonry, the cat flew to the squat building with the yellow dome upon its roof. It flew twice around the dome and then came back to settle on Jhary's shoulder. - The King of the Swords

Oh, wow! This is awesome, learn something new everyday. . .

Comment

Those Zenith illustrations are really quite excellent. From the time when images of heroes and anti-heroes weren't influenced by the use of anabolic steroids!

:)

Comment

I grew up on this stuff, even though i'm a product of the 80s. The Shadow, Spider, Doc Savage, the Avenger, G-8 etc, etc

Good stuff! :D

Comment

:oops: :thanks:

Comment

We used the same image on one of the later New Worlds (actually Novy Mir) issues, too. I don't know if any copies of Monsieur Zenith are still available from Savoy, but I'd thoroughly recommend it.

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in Europe:
            The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
            Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in the USA:
            The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
            Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

The sextonblake.co.uk update includes 29 pdf copies of Zenith adventures for you to download or read online. These are from the UNION JACK story paper and date from between 1919 and 1932. The first four adventures are among them. Brilliant stories and brilliant artwork!

The site was due to relaunch this weekend but unfortunately those pdf files are quite large and I didn't have enough webspace on the server. :x

I'm now waiting to purchase new space, which means the site can't go live until after my pay day. The ETA is now 22-23 October.

Stay patient - it'll be worth the wait!
              --- Sexton Blake ---
              "If there is a wrong to be righted, an evil to be redressed, or a rescue of the weak and the suffering from the powerful, our hearty assistance can be readily obtained."

Comment

Sexton,

My I suggest that you have a conversation with our webhost Axign?

Axign Consulting
                Friendly, reliable, secure web hosting, at affordable prices. Email us at [email protected] or call (877) 448-4460. Axign is the current web hosting company of Moorcock's Weekly Miscellany.

They have absolutely bent over backwards for us here.
                The cat spread its wings and flew high into the air, hovering to keep pace with them as they moved cautiously toward the city. Then, as they climbed over the rubble of what had once been a gateway and began to make their way through piles of weed-grown masonry, the cat flew to the squat building with the yellow dome upon its roof. It flew twice around the dome and then came back to settle on Jhary's shoulder. - The King of the Swords

Comment

And if there's anything I can do to help, let me know. Those stories are excellent. I've already referred in a 'Zodiac' story to the extraordinary affair of the Tyneside leopard men... :) Did you see that great sale of Blakiana in Australia last May. Sadly, I missed it, being away. It looked brilliant. Had something of everything I longed to own. Now I suppose I must wait until it turns up in dealer catalogues, unless it was all bought by collectors.

The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
                  Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
                  Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

Originally posted by Berry Sizemore
                    My I suggest that you have a conversation with our webhost Axign?
                    Thanks Barry, I'll do that.

Mike, not only did I see the Australian Victor Colby auction but a fairly large slice of it ended up in the Hodder-Quest Collection (a dual effort to Gather, Preserve and Share undertaken by myself and H. H. Jefferson Quest). Among the Blakiana we secured:

A complete bound run of Sexton Blake in ANSWERS (1908 - 1911)
                    A complete run of Sexton Blake in PENNY POPULAR (1912 - 1916)
                    A complete run of Sexton Blake in PENNY PICTORIAL (1907 - 1913)
                    All issues of UNION JACK from 1894 to 1898 plus a great many issues from the early part of the 20th century. And many editions of the BOYS' FRIEND LIBRARY.

It cost a fortune but it was very definitely worth it. More details on the website -- and I bet you're sick of me saying "it's coming soon!"... but it is.

So -- with regard to the SB material you say you long to own -- I could possibly send you pdf copies (depends on issue condition). Just let me know.

Many thanks for your kind offer of assistance. There is something I would truly love for the SB site but it's quite a tall order; I'll just throw it at you and if you duck and let it fly past, no problem --

I would really love to have on the site a sort of definitive 'Mike at SBL' article -- how you got involved, what you did, what you remember, why the typewriter went out of the window, what Bill Baker was like, memories of authors, how Sexton Blake has influenced you, how he and Zenith have appeared (in whatever guise) in your own work, and so forth. Like I said, a tall order -- but you were a part of a British literary phenomenon that I love, and I'm not in contact with anyone else who was! Hell, any contribution would be a jewel in the crown, frankly!

Best wishes
                    --- Sexton Blake ---
                    "If there is a wrong to be righted, an evil to be redressed, or a rescue of the weak and the suffering from the powerful, our hearty assistance can be readily obtained."

Comment

I'd be very glad to do something like that. As it happens, because of the memoir I'm writing of Mervyn and Maeve Peake, I'm actually dredging up memories of that period of my life. Mervyn was so broke at one time I offered him a job doing thumbnail chapter headings for the SBL. I can see now why he might not have seen this as a career improvement, but it was all I had to offer that was practical! I first came to Bill Baker's awareness, of course, because I championed the 'new' SBL whereas the Sexton Blake Circle and Collectors Digest were very upset with him. Because of that championing, he offered me a job. After I left Tarzan, the job vacancy came up and that's when I started working for SBL. Almost immediately he had me writing the articles which appeared there about Blake's past. I no longer have the article (s) in which I stuck up for the new Blake, but there's always a chance they'll appear here some day (it was in Book Collectors News). I was virtually drummed out of the Old Boys Book Club! Anyway, I'm always hungry for Zeniths I haven't read (I have virtually no SBLs featuring him, for instance) and if another sale should ever come up, I'd be grateful if you could count me in as a bidder. I don't really mind if I read them in reproduction or original. Savoy and I are already talking of doing another book and I have reprinted part of three Zenith stories in the forthcoming Miscellany (unfortunately delayed until next year). I think Dave Britton might want to come in, too. We're all interested in sharing whatever we have with as many interested people as possible. I suspect Jess Nevins might also be interested, though he's been rather busy lately with his massive Encyclopaedia of Victorian Popular Fiction (which gives space to Zenith).
                      I leant Jess my few Zenith SBLs, but would be happy to get them back and lend any you don't have. (Roumanian Prince, Bronze Basilisk, Swanley Viaduct I think is the sum of them!). Anyway, I'd be more than happy to swap you the article you want for some Zeniths I haven't read (as I say, in any form).

Comment

:D Fantastic! :D

Just let me know which Zenith's you're interested in and - providing they're strong enough to withstand the scanner - I'll get pdf copies done for you. UNION JACK-wise, that'll probably be:

آ· A Duel to the Death (Union Jack 837)
                        آ· The Tenth Case (Union Jack 842)
                        آ· The Case of the Man in Motley (Union Jack 844)
                        آ· The League of the Cobblers' Last (Union Jack 847)
                        آ· The Case of the Four Statues (Union Jack 871)
                        آ· The Return of Zenith the Albino (Union Jack 928)
                        آ· On Secret Service! (Union Jack 1,013)
                        آ· The Case of the Crimson Curtain (Union Jack 1,022)
                        آ· The Train of Tragedy (Union Jack 1,065)
                        آ· The Man in Steel (Union Jack 1,091)
                        آ· The Wizard of Wurtz (Union Jack 1,098)
                        آ· A Problem of Proof (Union Jack 1,128)
                        آ· The Affair of the Crumpled Paper (Union Jack 1,160)
                        آ· The Plant of Prey (Union Jack 1,171)
                        آ· Zenith Declares War! (Union Jack 1,174)
                        آ· A Mystery in Motley (Union Jack 1,182)
                        آ· The Mystery of the Mechanical Men (Union Jack 1,188)
                        آ· The Affair of the Were-Wolf (Union Jack 1,216)
                        آ· The Case of the Friend of May Cubitt (Union Jack 1,240)
                        آ· The Case of the Grey Envelope (Union Jack 1,276)
                        آ· The Affair of the Great Seal (Union Jack 1,299)
                        آ· The Problem of the Broken Stick (Union Jack 1,310)
                        آ· Gangsters' Gold (Union Jack 1,372)
                        آ· Killer's Creed (Union Jack 1,402)
                        آ· Green Men (Union Jack 1,412)
                        آ· Night Birds (Union Jack 1,420)
                        آ· The Crook Crusaders (Union Jack 1,486)
                        آ· The Rainmaker (Union Jack 1,505)
                        آ· The Gold Maker (Union Jack 1,510)

I also have the three SBLs you mention. Bronze Basilisk and Swanley Viaduct are okay for scanning (staples removed) but Roumanian Prince might be problematical.

You can contact me direct at [email protected]. I could email any of the above pdfs to you directly but it would have to be one at a time otherwise your inbox would get clogged up.

Article-wise, brilliant news! Thanks Mike!
                        --- Sexton Blake ---

Comment

I haven't read any Blake before, but those titles are very intriguing (who can deny the poetry of "The Affair of the Were-Wolf"?) (actually, I suppose that depends on how one pronounces "Were-", but never mind). I look forward to seeing the site once it's up and running. :)
                          "That which does not kill us, makes us stranger." - Trevor Goodchild

Comment

Thanks, pard. I misled you, I fear. I HAVE those SBLs. It's all the others I don't have! While I have a decent number of SBLs, for some reason I have very few featuring Zenith.
                            I'll check out which Zeniths I haven't read and get back to you. And I'm much obliged! It'll be great reading for when I've done all the work I'm currently getting worried about! A reward. :)

Comment

Ouch! You've just exposed a gap in the collection I hadn't realised was there. I've got the same Zenith SBLs as you... but not the others:

SBL1 #255 The Albino's Double
                              SBL1 #370 The Amazing Affair of the Renegade Prince
                              SBL2 #155 The Mystery of the Shot P.C.
                              SBL2 #173 The Case of the Crook M.P.
                              SBL2 #188 The Man Who Squealed
                              SBL2 #206 The Radium Profiteer
                              SBL2 #233 The Gangster's Revenge
                              SBL2 #246 The Crook's Accomplice
                              SBL2 #281 The Vault of Doom
                              SBL2 #291 The Death of Four
                              SBL2 #331 The Fatal Mascot
                              SBL2 #368 Derelict House

Mind you, I'm visiting a private collector in Bournemouth in a couple of weeks... he's offloading his Blake material, so I shall keep my eyes peeled for these beauties.

Tinker! The chequebook if you please... and tell Mrs Bardell to cancel this month's food order!
                              --- Sexton Blake ---

Comment

Working...
                              X