Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

How Many Elric Books are in the Elric saga?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Many Elric Books are in the Elric saga?

I've never been sure and right now im reading The Skrayling Tree.

Kind of depends which editions you opt for.

# of Elric books = 6
    (0.) Elric: Making of a Sorcerer (Graphic novel - in progress)
    1. Elric of Melnibone omnibus (Orion/Millennium & White Wolf)
    2. Stormbringer omnibus (Orion/Millennium & White Wolf)
    3. The Dreamthief's Daughter (Warner Aspect)
    4. The Skrayling Tree (Warner Aspect)
    5. The White Wolf's Son (Warner Aspect)

# of Elric books = 13
    (0.) Elric: Making of a Sorcerer (Graphic novel - in progress)
    1. Elric of Melnibone (novel)
    2. The Fortress of the Pearl (novel)
    3. The Sailor on the Seas of Fate (collection of 3 novellas)
    4. The Weird of the White Wolf (collection of novellas)
    5. The Vanishing Tower (aka 'The Sleeping Sorceress') (novel)
    6. The Revenge of the Rose (novel)
    7. The Bane of the Black Sword (collection of novellas)
    8. The Dreamthief's Daughter (novel)
    9. The Skrayling Tree (novel)
    10. The White Wolf's Son (novel)
    11. Stormbringer (collection of 4 novellas)
    (12.) Elric at the End of Time (story out of sequence)

I think that's the main ones, but I'm sure I've probably missed something somewhere though.
    _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
    _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
    _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
    _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

You missed the Duke Elric stories from Michael Moorcock's Multiverse (I liked that comic series!), and the more obscure Elric: The Return To Melnibonأ© (Druillet/Moorcock).

Then there are also the Conan issues featuring Elric: The Sword Called Stormbringer and The Green Empress of Melnibonأ©.

Where to place these chronologically, is a good question!

Comment

I'm not sure about Return to Melnibone, but the Duke Elric stories I'm pretty sure would go right along with MoaS and the newest novels (DD, TST, TWWS); which means they should actually take place in middle of Stormbringer (part of the Bane of the Black Sword volume if memory serves).
        "In omnibus requiem quaesivi, et nusquam inveni nisi in angulo cum libro"
        --Thomas a Kempis

Comment

Here you can find some comprehensive Elric's timelines:
          http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Caps.../terhalit.html
          http://www.dodgenet.com/~moonblossom/Eltime.html

Unfortunately "The Prisoner of Pan-Tang" is not included.
          [link expired]

Comment

Also...

Also there was "The Jade Man's Eye's" but I suppose that is included in "The Sailor on the Seas of Fate". However back in the days when the Multiverse was a black website I seem to remember reading that one of the books in the final Elric series was going to be called Mourneblade. Did Mike just change the name to Skrayling Tree or White Wolf's Son or does ths story still remain to be told?
            \"Mercy? I don\'t deserve it.\"
            Karl Glogaur - Behold the Man
            Michael Moocock

Comment

Mournblade was a temporary title to what later on became The Skrayling Tree:

http://www.multiverse.org/modules.ph...=print&sid=127

Comment

Originally posted by EverKing
                I'm not sure about Return to Melnibone, but the Duke Elric stories I'm pretty sure would go right along with MoaS and the newest novels (DD, TST, TWWS); which means they should actually take place in middle of Stormbringer (part of the Bane of the Black Sword volume if memory serves).
                I'm pretty sure Duke Elric is in a different timeline from Stormbringer or the Thousand Year Dream stories.

In the Duke Elric series, Elric stated that he left his own world to seek the Horn Of Roland (as he did near the end of Stormbringer) but lacked the courage to return to his own world and use the horn; instead he stayed in England serving King Ethelred.

In other words the timeline of those stories diverges from the Stormbringer timeline, and unlike the Thousand Year Dream stories, does not re-unite with the Stormbringer timeline. Elric meets a new destiny in Duke Elric, killing the Silverskin and absorbing all the souls of the other Eternal Champions, using that power and Roland's Horn to bring a moment of harmony to the Multiverse.

Comment

Ah. See, I've only been able to read snipets from the Duke Elric stories. In fact I've only found parts 1 and 6, so I have limited knowlege of the details. From what little I've read I got the impression that is does coincide with the Thousand Year Dream. Sorry for the misunderstanding. :)
                  "In omnibus requiem quaesivi, et nusquam inveni nisi in angulo cum libro"
                  --Thomas a Kempis

Comment

Originally posted by EverKing
                    Ah. See, I've only been able to read snipets from the Duke Elric stories. In fact I've only found parts 1 and 6, so I have limited knowlege of the details. From what little I've read I got the impression that is does coincide with the Thousand Year Dream. Sorry for the misunderstanding. :)
                    No need to apologise! I only got the timelines clear in my own mind (and I could be wrong) a while back. I think on reading the collected version of the Duke Elric stories I grasped part of the picture, but the truth about the Thousand Year Dream isn't fully clear until White Wolf's Son. It is confusing; especially since both timelines have Elric serving Ethelred when he first comes to "our world" (or something like it).

I'd say you'd really enjoy finding a copy of the collected Michael Moorcock's Multiverse book or "graphic novel." Better to do that if you can than try to collect the set of the comic. In the book form, the stories are slightly re-sequenced, which makes for an even better read (though I loved the comic too). I don't think any pages are revised in any way; just put in a different order.

Comment

It appears that I have some reading to do. :D

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Moorcock
                        I don't know if MM's Multiverse is still in print, but Amazon says they still have it.
                        Knowing my luck, this means it'll be out of print in Australia. I tried to ordered Dreamthief's Daughter, but it just went out of print. I'm thinking of resorting to eBay. A local comic book shop said they could get the trade of MM's Multiverse in for me. Hope it doesn't turn out similar.

Anyone know if Dreamthief's Daughter is going to come back into print? I'll try and get Skraying Tree and White Wolf's Son, but I hate owning books out of order. Definitely looks like eBay.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Moorcock
                          I don't know if MM's Multiverse is still in print, but Amazon says they still have it.
                          If you're in the UK you can get it new for آ£8.40 from the Book Depository via Amazon Marketplace. I bought one a couple of weeks back and it arrived a lot quicker than Amazon claim they can get it. It's a couple of quid cheaper as well.

I bought it because of the positive press it got here and I must say I was very impressed. The only MM related comics I had read before were the Roy Thomas Conan/Elric crossover and James Cawthorn's adaptation of The Jewel in the Skull, neither of which I was impressed by. Multiverse is in a different league altogether.

Comment

Dreamthief's Daughter is still in print as far as I know, in UK and US. John Davey (see here) still has copies of the paperback, both UK and US I think. I like the US edition best myself. The Skrayling Tree is also out in paperback in the US edition (there are no UK/Commonwealth editions of this or The White Wolf's Son, due to reasons described elsewhere).

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in Europe:
                            The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
                            Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in the USA:
                            The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
                            Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

Working...
                            X