Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Sleeping Sorceress HB on eBay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • GuyLawley
    Champion of the Balance
    • Aug 2004

Sleeping Sorceress HB on eBay

Anyone bidding on this eBay item?

I'm moderately keen but won't bid against a fellow Miscellanist, especially if you are in the USA/Canada and will thus pay less postage.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Moorcock-THE-S...QQcmdZViewItem
  • Marca
    Eternal Champion
    • Aug 2004

I might have if it had been in the UK... to be honest though you could probably get a decently priced copy from Jayde.
    'You know, I can't keep up with you. If I hadn't met you in person, I quite honestly would NOT believe you really existed. I just COULDN'T. You do so MUCH... if half of what goes into your zines is to be believed, you've read more at the age of 17 than I have at the age of 32 - LOTS more'

Archie Mercer to Mike (Burroughsania letters page, 1957)

Comment

• GuyLawley
      Champion of the Balance
      • Aug 2004

The thought did cross my mind!

The thing is, I come across books while browsing eBay which I didn't know I wanted until that moment. Perhaps you know the feeling.

Especially when they in fine condition and you are looking a tempting picture!

I'd better ask John for an up-to-date list!

Comment

• Michael Moorcock
        Site Host
        • Dec 2003

That IS a good price. As everyone knows, I hate to see people paying through the nose for stuff, but SS is a fairly rare book.

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in Europe:
        The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
        Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in the USA:
        The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
        Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

• GuyLawley
          Champion of the Balance
          • Aug 2004

Thanks for that Mike!

This is my last call on this eBay item; anyone from this site who is bidding (are you there, cb2 ?) intends to bid let me know now please!

Otherwise I'm intending to bid before closing (1 day and 3 hours from...

...now.)

Comment

• Michael Moorcock
            Site Host
            • Dec 2003

It was actually the first 'new' Elric book I wrote after publishing the first two and before I wrote Elric of Melnibone.

The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
            Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
            Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

• Marca
              Eternal Champion
              • Aug 2004

Guy, I just noticed you won this auction. Well done! :)
              'You know, I can't keep up with you. If I hadn't met you in person, I quite honestly would NOT believe you really existed. I just COULDN'T. You do so MUCH... if half of what goes into your zines is to be believed, you've read more at the age of 17 than I have at the age of 32 - LOTS more'

Comment

• GuyLawley
                Champion of the Balance
                • Aug 2004

Thanks AV. Bit of a bargain I think. Arrived in the post yesterday.

Very nice condition in a Brodart mylar sleeve. Pages browning but I gather "they all are" (paper quality not so great).

The Cawthorn drawings are used very nicely on the DJ.

I also got a US Cure for Cancer first. What a contrast. Hideous DJ art!

Will scan when time permits. Distracted this evening by the new David Renwick / Tamsin Greig TV comedy (and I heard there was a documentary about some pop singer on as well)

Comment

• Doc
                  Doc
                  Eternal Champion
                  • Jan 2004

I agree that the US Cure for Cancer DJ is awful. The art is more creepy than anything else, and the colors are a bit much for my tastes. I always think of the Mad Hatter when I see it, for some reason.

Comment

• David Mosley
                    Eternal Administrator
                    • Jul 2004

On the subject of hardback JC novels, have you seen this copy of Lives and Times on eBay?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MICHAEL-MOORCO...QQcmdZViewItem

Don't think we've got this one in the Image Gallery, and it has 2آ½ days to run, but at آ£4.99 it's a little outside my price range.

EDIT: There's a cheaper (آ£1.99) ex-library copy here as well:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Michael-Moorco...QQcmdZViewItem
                    _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
                    _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
                    _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
                    _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

• Azariel
                      Eternal Companion
                      • Sep 2005

Bless Ebay! Its been my source for Mike's material for months now. Its where I got my Michael Whelan cover variants of Elric, which has an interesting story:

One day I headed to my local used book store, but seconds before I got there, some lady had just grabbed EVERY ONE of Mike's Elric material. We had a nice 1hr and 1/2 discussion over the Eternal Champions, while I cursed myself for having not been there sooner. O well, I bought the "Eternal Champion," though Erekose was a poor substitute. Good thing I bought the "Swords Trilogy" and "Chronicles of Corum" which pleased me better. Maybe it was Elric's Duke of Hell, Arioch's in Book 1 that did it for me

Comment

• GuyLawley
                        Champion of the Balance
                        • Aug 2004

That's a lovely HB JC volume you've found there, Demos, and maybe worth going the extra few pounds for! I've got one in reaosnable nick already; thanks for the tip-off though. Maybe will be of use to someone here.

I agree, e-bay has changed the face of book-buying. Still can't beat browsing in a musty dusty old shop, but so often the browsing doesn't pay off - or someone beats you to it! What a frustration, though a conversation ensued which may have been priceless.

Comment

• Marca
                          Eternal Champion
                          • Aug 2004

I might bid on the JC, although postage is rather high. I took delivery of a first hardback of Byzantium Endures today. Faded spine, but overall in very good nick. I could have bought it when it first came out, but ended up buying the paperback. The hardback wasn't in the Image Gallery, so I've scanned to Limbo:

[link expired]

Comment

• Michael Moorcock
                            Site Host
                            • Dec 2003

That's a first of Lives and Times and from what I've seen of dealer's catalogues, it's cheap in good nick at 4.99! In fact I wouldn't mind buying it myself, since I only have one copy. :)

Comment

• Governor of Rowe Island
                              Orgone Accumulator
                              • Aug 2004

[quote=Aral Vilsn]I took delivery of a first hardback of Byzantium Endures today. Faded spine, but overall in very good nick. I could have bought it when it first came out, but ended up buying the paperback. The hardback wasn't in the Image Gallery, so I've scanned to Limbo:

[link expired]

I don't think I've read that version of Angus Wilson's quote before. I've only ever read the abridged version on paperback books. It's an even more flattering (and accurate) tribute.
                              You see, it's... it's no good, Montag. We've all got to be alike. The only way to be happy is for everyone to be made equal.

-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-

Image Hive :-: Wikiverse :-: Media Hive

:-: Onsite Offerings :-:

"I am an observer of life, a non-participant who takes no sides. I am in the regimented society, but not of it." Moondog, 1964

Comment

Working...
                              X