Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

I write this with mixed feelings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I write this with mixed feelings

I have "The White Wolf's Son" sitting on my table. I want to read it but I know that If I do, that's the last of the EC, as far as I know. I have all of MM's works in print except for a few New Worlds, most of which I purchased when they came out (yeah, I'm a kind of old fart). So I've put off reading it. I can't really count the number of times I've read through the saga, well I probably could, since I read through all the prior ones of a series when I pick up the newest volume. Any series, doing that for the editions that Christopher T put out of almost all his father's writing was a bear. But, I babble. I've seen to MM's references to some graphic novels about the EC. What are they and where can I get them? They're not listed in the bibliography that I can tell and searches on graphic novel & moorcock on B&N and Amazon don't give me anything. I haven't set foot in a comic book store since my Silver Surfer/Doc Strange days, is that where I'll find them?

I'd like to thank MM for all the joys and sorrows he's given me in the past, I'd like him to keep going, but all good things must come to and end.

pek

Worth having a look in the Image Gallery of this site, if you haven't already found it.

You'll find The Swords of Heaven, the Flowers of Hell (an Erekose story, of sorts) listed as a book of Mike's; it's actually by Howard Chaykin, from a detailed outline by Mike. Link:

[link expired]

In the comics section you'll find covers of Michael Moorcock's Multiverse (also available as a Graphic Novel), Elric: The Making of a Sorcerer, and Mike's two issues of Alan Moore's Tom Strong. Link:

[link expired]

eBay and ABe may your best bets, but Multiverse should be in shops still, and on Amazon, I'd think. Elric: TMOAS is still coming out (irregularly) and won't be in book form for some time (unless you want to find the French hardback collecting issues 1 & 2 (it's great! Printing and colur superior to US comics - but it's in French!) on Amazon France.

I was buying Dr Strange and The Surfer from about 1968 on, but didn't get into New Worlds until quite a bit later. Were you still around for Howard the Duck in the seventies?

Comment

Oh yeah, Howard and "Not Brand EECCCCHHH(?)" Loved 'em both. Started to lose interest in the late 70's when Marvel's writing just went off track somehow. Well that, and a kid that took up my time and money.

I'll have to check around the comics stores, I haven't kept up with their openings & closings, there was one in the area that did both comics & collectable books, but he closed up over 5 years ago, got a lot of my Arkham House & Ballantine Adult Fantasy series there. Damn shame he had to shut down.

Thanks,
      pek

Comment

Actually, Swords of Heaven was essentially written by me, since Howard didn't add much to it at all and so pretty much all of it was adapted from my detailed outline, which also had dialogue. I tend to do novel-length outlines :) as Storm Constantine will attest. That's how we did Silverheart, for instance -- my 'outline' was 45,000 words, the length of the first Hawkmoon books, almost.
        Heavy Metal did some Elric adaptations, there are also one or two Elric originals (one by Bob Gould another originally in French by Druillet and still available in its English version from Jayde Designe), then there are the Pacific and First comic versions of Elric, Corum and Hawkmoon. My guess is that I could well still have an EC short still in me from time to time. I've just decided to stop writing fantasy novels. I feel I've taken the form as far as I can without it turning into something else (as War Amongst the Angels did).

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in Europe:
        The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
        Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in the USA:
        The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
        Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Moorcock
          I've just decided to stop writing fantasy novels. I feel I've taken the form as far as I can without it turning into something else (as War Amongst the Angels did).
          I'm a returning MM reader, after being away for 20 years. I'm currently reading the Hawkmoon White Wolf EC vol. 3 after tearing through vol. 1 and 2.

Mike, I didn't realize you were done writing fantasy, and although this makes me a little sad, I appreciate your desire to move on. And thanks for all the good work you have done up to this point. With my busy life, it should take me awhile to go through it all. Cheers. :clap:

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Moorcock
            I've just decided to stop writing fantasy novels. I feel I've taken the form as far as I can without it turning into something else (as War Amongst the Angels did).
            I'm reading this now, and it's great. Have you considered continuing with "something else" and seeing where it might lead you?
            \"...an ape reft of his tail, and grown rusty at climbing, who yet feels himself to be a symbol and the frail representative of Omnipotence in a place that is not home.\" James Branch Cabell

Comment

Flying Elvis:
              I'm a returning MM reader, after being away for 20 years.
              I'll see your twenty years and raise you... er, somewhere between five and ten years.
              I'm currently reading the Hawkmoon White Wolf EC vol. 3 after tearing through vol. 1 and 2.
              I read The Warhound and the World's Pain the other month, Elric of Melinbone the other day and am currently on The Fortress of the Pearl, all in the 1993 Millenium omnibus Eternal Champion 14-volume set.

Mike, I didn't realize you were done writing fantasy
              From his avatar, I conclude that this is to spend more time on his career in Country and Western music.

T

P. S. Hi, Guy!

Comment

T Guy:
                Elric of Melinbone
                Or as it's usually know, Elric of Melnibonأ©
                . Oh, well, I spent three decades thinking it was Elric of Melibonأ©

Comment

Working...
                X