Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Need some clarification

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Michael Moorcock
    replied
    Yes, that's the 'fourth' volume all right!

Leave a comment:

• JohnDavey
    replied
    Dear all,

So, if the S.F.B.C. is announcing 'The Elric Saga Part Four', I assume it contains 'The Dreamthief's Daughter', 'The Skrayling Tree' & 'The White Wolf's Son'; yes?

When's it out, and -- more importantly -- are there any members o' the club out there who can order and send me a copy (for full reimbursement, obviously)?

Thanx & best,

John.

Leave a comment:

• Michael Moorcock
    replied
    Oh, Cheers! I'm even less au fait with computer games. :oops:

Leave a comment:

• David Mosley
    replied
    Legacy of Kain is a computer game series, Mike.

More info here > http://www.legacyofkain.com

Leave a comment:

• Michael Moorcock
    replied
    Is Legacy of Kain a TV series ? I don't get to see much US TV (or much of any TV, actually). I was actually wondering in what location you saw it. Presumably US. Anyway, you should NEVER pay that sort of price. I always check prices on Amazon or even ABE before buying a book, just to get an idea of what the usual discount might be. And as for hardcovers, there are almost always a few remainders available when the paperback comes out! And good second hand copies frequently come on the market almost immediately, usually when reviewers are selling their review copies.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    It was inside the front cover on the outer page. I may be misremembering the price. It was hardcover, though, so it wasn't that outrageous. I'm just a poor college student, so if I'm spending nearly forty USD on a book, it better help me with my classes. ~_^

I guess SFBC might have misprinted the name. I'm really not sure, but so long as they're the same book, I'll be glad to pick it up! The Elric Saga has been quite entertaining, with Elric managing to fit somewhere between the hero and antihero role. I still can't help but think that Simon Templeman would make a fine Elric... he has the same fatalistically engraved voice and his character in the Legacy of Kain series strongly reminds me of Elric himself, although their worlds and scenarios are quite different.

Anyway, I'm glad to get this cleared up. And hey! A visit from Michael Moorcock himself is something to glow about too. ^_^

Leave a comment:

• Michael Moorcock
    replied
    Glad that's cleared up, Samael. FRP ? Where did you see this price ?
    F--- Retail Price (Full Retail Price).

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    I think I keep hitting Preview instead of Submit. O.o Oops, heh.

I think that's the image on the cover of the book I saw, although I'm almost certain it was spelled The Skaeling Tree, which is downright bizarre.

[url=http://www.sfbc.com/doc/full_site_enrollment/detail/fse_product_detail.jhtml?repositoryId=339192010Her e[/url] is the Science Fiction Bookclub's offer on the trilogy, and their "alternate" spelling...

The Strayling Tree: World War II has ended, and von Bek and Oona are vacationing in Nova Scotia when Ulric is kidnapped by spectral Indians. In desperate pursuit, Oona braves whirlwinds and tsunamis to land in an America of myth. Aided by the mammoth-riding shaman White Crow, Oona must save a legendary golden city from fierce pygmies—an adventure shared by Elric and von Bek in other universes, with strange and devastating twists.

Leave a comment:

• PsychicWarVeteran
    replied
    Yeah, it's "The Skrayling Tree". Accept no substitutes!

[image moved]

Leave a comment:

• Doc
    replied
    I can't address the currency issue, but I can tell you (with near certainty) that you remember seeing The Skrayling Tree, which follows The Dreamthief's Daughter and is followed by The White Wolf's Son.

Leave a comment:

Guest started a topic Need some clarification

Need some clarification

First, my apologies if this matter has been answered before. This is my first time visiting the forum, and I'm kind of desperate for a sure answer, as my own searches (even upon this forum, as I'll explain) are proving extremely contradictory and confusing.

Okay, sometime late last year (if memory serves), I noted a book on the shelves at the bookshop I sometimes visit. It was titled The Skaeling Tree and cost 35.95 FRP. Not only did I not recognize the currency, but neither did xe.com, which I found downright strange. I thought it might be in France Francs, but I'm positive that the currency did not say FRF, and I thought those were obsolete anyway. The bookstore insisted on charging USD for it, so I couldn't afford it. Eventually, someone either bought it or the store got rid of it.

Today, I get the monthly pamphlet for the Science Fiction Bookclub, and they're displaying The Elric Saga IV. Hurrah! Except... what's this? Book number two of the trilogy is called The Strayling Tree. The plot sounds similar to what I remember from reading the cover of the book I saw, except the title is not at all the same!

A Google search turns up some frustrating results.

The Skaeling Tree
    The Skrayling Tree
    The Strayling Tree
    The Skayling Tree

Only The Skrayling Tree brings up more than a couple of results, and two of those spellings offer results from these very forums, acknowledged without correction by Mike himself. This... boggles my mind, to be honest. Is The Strayling Tree the same as these other phantom spellings, or is it a separate scenario? I'm loathe to throw my coin anywhere if I don't know what I'm buying!

Please, if anyone can shed some light on the subject? Am I dealing with different translations, different books, or did I step into a different universe for a bit? ^^;; I feel like Ernest Wheldrake.
Working...
X