Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Fantastic (Stories) of Elric and Hawkmoon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fantastic (Stories) of Elric and Hawkmoon

Recent postings of 1970s Elric book covers reminded me that I’ve been meaning to scan my copies of Fantastic Stories (technically it was just called Fantastic) with Elric (Sleeping Sorceress 1972) and Count Brass (1975) stories. Covers by Mike Kaluta and Harry Roland. I think these were the firt US publications of both.

Kaluta does a creditable Elric though he is, as so often, far too full-blooded.

Now to be seen in the image gallery:

[link expired]

I’ve also included the 1975 annual with Master Of Chaos. I was puzzled by the Virgil Finlay illustration for this story (he died in 1971) until I realised it must be a reprint; sure enough it was first published in May 1964 in Fantastic Stories (Of The Imagination) Vol.13, no.5.

May I take this opportunity to thank Berry and any other technical wizards involved for making the software for the image gallery so easy to use. Great work!

BTW there is a copy of the Elric issue available v cheap via eBay right now, at least cheap for US buyers:

http://cgi.ebay.com/VINTAGE-FANTASTI...QQcmdZViewItem

Comment

Re: Fantastic (Stories) of Elric and Hawkmoon

Originally posted by GuyLawley
      I’ve also included the 1975 annual with Master Of Chaos. I was puzzled by the Virgil Finlay illustration for this story (he died in 1971) until I realised it must be a reprint; sure enough it was first published in May 1964 in Fantastic Stories (Of The Imagination) Vol.13, no.5.
      Do you mean that Elric doesn't look like Elric? That's Aubec who bears a striking resemblance to Erekose.
      The cat spread its wings and flew high into the air, hovering to keep pace with them as they moved cautiously toward the city. Then, as they climbed over the rubble of what had once been a gateway and began to make their way through piles of weed-grown masonry, the cat flew to the squat building with the yellow dome upon its roof. It flew twice around the dome and then came back to settle on Jhary's shoulder. - The King of the Swords

Comment

No, B, I meant I was puzzled by a picture apparently published 4 years after the death of the artist.

Til I saw this mag I never knew any MM story had had a Finlay illo. I always thought he was one of the great SF illustrators.

Comment

Thanks for those scans Guy, I've not seen the 70s Fantastic Moorcock covers before. That Finlay illustration looks familiar though - not sure if I have the original magazine or if I've seen it reproduced somewhere. I have a number of images I keep meaning to upload to the gallery, but don't seem to have the time at the moment :(
          'You know, I can't keep up with you. If I hadn't met you in person, I quite honestly would NOT believe you really existed. I just COULDN'T. You do so MUCH... if half of what goes into your zines is to be believed, you've read more at the age of 17 than I have at the age of 32 - LOTS more'

Archie Mercer to Mike (Burroughsania letters page, 1957)

Comment

BTW there is a copy of the Elric issue available v cheap via eBay right now, at least cheap for US buyers:

http://cgi.ebay.com/VINTAGE-FANTASTI...QQcmdZViewItem
            Hmm, although I'm in the UK I've emailed the seller to see if he'll let me buy the item and have it shipped it to our company's Canadian office as I could do with a copy of the novella (rather than the novel) for when I get around to writing up the M'pedia entry.

Fingers crossed then. :)
            _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
            _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
            _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
            _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

If you can't get the Fantastic issue, the novella is included in the Mayflower paperback [link expired], which should be fairly easy to find.
              'You know, I can't keep up with you. If I hadn't met you in person, I quite honestly would NOT believe you really existed. I just COULDN'T. You do so MUCH... if half of what goes into your zines is to be believed, you've read more at the age of 17 than I have at the age of 32 - LOTS more'

Comment

Originally posted by Aral Vilsn
                If you can't get the Fantastic issue, the novella is included in the Mayflower paperback [link expired], which should be fairly easy to find.
                I'm going up to Hay-on-Wye sometime in the next fortnight when we're on holiday - that's often a good source of second-hand books. IIRC one of R. Booth's shops usually has a entire wall of Mike's paperbacks available so maybe I can pick something up there.
                _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
                _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
                _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
                _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

I got a copy of Warlocks and Warriors in the post just a couple of days ago (via ABE or eBay, I forget which!). Must have lost my old copy (most unlike me) as I found it absent from the shelves recently.

Hadn't looked at it in ages. Pleased to find it also contained the "origin" story of Leiber's Gray Mouser; a fun read, as I found out all over again last night! A better story than The Sleeping Sorceress, IMHO. Never a favourite of mine, that one.

Can't remember if any of the other stories in it are any good.

Edit: just remembered it also has Keith Roberts' story set in the world of The Ice Schooner. Can't recall if I liked it!

Might have to start collecting Leiber now. Probably quite a big crossover between Moorcock and Leiber enthusiasts (???).

Comment

Originally posted by demos99
                    I'm going up to Hay-on-Wye sometime in the next fortnight when we're on holiday - that's often a good source of second-hand books. IIRC one of R. Booth's shops usually has a entire wall of Mike's paperbacks available so maybe I can pick something up there.
                    Even though I found Hay disappointing the one time I went (I agree with Mike that the dealers seem to ship all their really good stuff to the London shops) I'm jealous to hear you're visiting. I love browsing around shops full of old books.

If you find a spare copy of New Worlds 142, I'm still in need of it!

Comment

Even though I found Hay disappointing the one time I went (I agree with Mike that the dealers seem to ship all their really good stuff to the London shops) I'm jealous to hear you're visiting. I love browsing around shops full of old books.

If you find a spare copy of New Worlds 142, I'm still in need of it!
                      Yes, Hay can be a bit of a curate's egg these days. We normally try to go once a year and spend a day there - not so easy when you're dragging a toddler round with you (she once lost her favourite dolly there a couple of years ago and there were Big Tears for an hour or so while we went round all the shops again until we found it!) - and over the years the amount of dealers with good stocks of SF and fantasy has dwindled imo. That said I usually find half-a-dozen or so books that I'm after so it's never a complete wash-out.

I'll keep an eye out for NW 142 Guy, although I don't think I've ever seen a copy of NW in the ten years that we've been going (mind you I wasn't really looking for them either, so who knows?)

Oh, btw, the Fantastic seems to have disappeared on eBay, so I'll have to keep an eye out for W&W instead.

Comment

There's a cheap copy of W&W here if you're not too fussed about the condition...

Comment

Oh, btw, the Fantastic seems to have disappeared on eBay, so I'll have to keep an eye out for W&W instead.
                          I noticed the magazine had done a runner. Very odd timing. And it's not because he's sold it, as I checked on "completed items."

Did he answer your e-mail?

Comment

Two copies in Canada on the first page of the ABE search page I just generated (didn't look any further):

FANTASTIC STORIES (Fantastic Science Fiction & Fantasy Stories): February (Feb) 1972
                            John Brunner, Roger Ebert, Ova Hamlet (Richard A. Lupoff), George R. R. Martin, Michael Moorcock, Illustrated by Mike Kaluta cover art.
                            Bookseller: Book Ends
                            (Winnipeg, MB, Canada) Price: آ£ 2.87
                            Book Condition: About (Very Good).

Fantastic 1972 February V21#3
                            Bookseller: Terry Nudds
                            (Burlington, ON, Canada) Price: آ£ 2.87
                            Book Condition: Near Fine. Kaluta, Mike (illustrator). First Edition, First Printing. ....Digest magazine, close to near fine......

Comment

I noticed the magazine had done a runner. Very odd timing. And it's not because he's sold it, as I checked on "completed items."

Did he answer your e-mail?
                              Yes, he replied to say 'try now' but it still didn't let me bid on it. I emailed him to say I'd try again in the morning but by then it had disappeared. Anyway, thanks to Aral I've ordered a copy of W&W on abebooks - same seller different copy - not as cheap but in better condition - experience has taught me that I always regret not getting the nicer ones afterwards when I see them sitting on my shelves. :)

Comment

Working...
                              X