Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Comics and "Stars"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comics and "Stars"

Originally posted by Michael Moorcock
    Making of what.... ?
    :) Just joking...

Just how long are us fans going to have to wait for E,TMOAS number 3?

Has someone died recently or is their an illness in the family? Surely it doesn't take that long to draw up and colour and letter a comic? I think maybe MM should think about employing another artist, or even a different company next time he writes a comicbook series. :?

Re: Thy jest is most base Sir!

Originally posted by Vincent_Hollins_Right
    Surely it doesn't take that long to draw up and colour and letter a comic?
    With all due respect, have you ever tried to draw a comic? It's really not as easy as pointing your pen at a piece of paper and throwing down some shapes.

Obviously you, and the other "guests" who mysteriously echo your sentiments, are free to get as annoyed as you like at the delay... personally, I'm happy to wait because I know the artwork will be fantastic. If the story had been left on a cliff-hanger, then I might think differently, but each issue seems quite complete in itself. IMHO.
    "That which does not kill us, makes us stranger." - Trevor Goodchild

Comment

Just how long are us fans going to have to wait for E,TMOAS number 3?
      I guess we'll wait until it's ready. Sheesh, the youth of today - always wanting everything yesterday! :P As a comics fan I'm used to having to wait more than 30 days for issues to come out. Back in 1983 DC Comics' first ever 12-part 'Maxi-series', Camelot 3000, took at least two years to come out, with six months elapsing between the appearence of #11 and #12. As I've mentioned elsewhere in response to 'another' of this sudden crop of 'Why are we waiting' posts, some of us have been waiting years for Alan Moore's Big Numbers #3 to appear - in fact, we've also been waiting a considerable while for his Lost Girls #3 as well. 8O

Mike and Walt are going to have to try dragging their heels for a great while longer if they want to present any sort of challenge to Alan Moore as holder of the title for 'Longest Delay Between Issues 2 and 3 in the World - Ever'; although Mike's shown he's certainly in the same league as Alan with the gap between Pyat 3 and 4. :)
      _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
      _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
      _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
      _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

Originally posted by DeeCrowSeer
        Surely it doesn't take that long to draw up and colour and letter a comic?
        With all due respect, have you ever tried to draw a comic? It's really not as easy as pointing your pen at a piece of paper and throwing down some shapes.

Having been through artschool and such, yes I have drawn for the comics trade.It is as easy as pointing your pen at a piece of paper so don't get all patronizing on me please.

Obviously you, and the other "guests" who mysteriously echo your sentiments,

Are you insinuating that I am these other "guests"? Its not as easy as just putting a post on a website you know.Just because I don't have any little stars next to my monicker to tell everyone my level in the MWM hierarchy doesn't mean that I have carte blanche to post willy nilly under different names.

are free to get as annoyed as you like at the delay... personally, I'm happy to wait because I know the artwork will be fantastic.

Well bully for you.I don't need your permission to do anything Dee'patronizing'Crowseer.So go and parade your fourstar virtue somewhere else please.

If the story had been left on a cliff-hanger, then I might think differently, but each issue seems quite complete in itself. IMHO.

A pity that we can't have had all four parts in one lovely big book.That would have been worth waiting for. :twisted:

Comment

[

Well bully for you.I don't need your permission to do anything Dee'patronizing'Crowseer.So go and parade your fourstar virtue somewhere else please.

Sorry, five star virtue( I missed one in all the excitement).Also I should give the recommended salute with that and abase myself in deference to your rank!

Comment

...Having been through artschool and such, yes I have drawn for the comics trade.It is as easy as pointing your pen at a piece of paper so don't get all patronizing on me please. ...
            And we all know the name of Vincent Hollins Right because it's so easy for you to draw a comic that your output and reputation far outstrips that of Walter Simonson... no?

(And it's pretty easy to edit a reply with embedded quotes correctly, but that actually seems beyond you.)

And, you know, those stars do count for something. They're a measure of how active someone has been in, and how much someone has contributed to, this community. If you feel you can contribute, register, let us know something about yourself (a link to your online portfolio, perhaps?), establish some credit here...

You may have found Dee's comments patronizing, but, frankly, your comments only belittle the truly great comic book artists - any great artists - who work hard for their art.

There's a reason the film about Michaelangelo wasn't called the Ease and the Ecstasy...

Cordialement,
            Ant

Comment

Obviously you, and the other "guests" who mysteriously echo your sentiments,
              Are you insinuating that I am these other "guests"? Its not as easy as just putting a post on a website you know.Just because I don't have any little stars next to my monicker to tell everyone my level in the MWM hierarchy doesn't mean that I have carte blanche to post willy nilly under different names.
              There were three posts all on the same theme (lateness of TMOAS 3) in three different threads all in very close proximatry to each other - 6:02pm, 6:09pm, and 6:18pm (BST local to me) - all with a similar tone ('why oh why oh why are we waiting... etc.) and all posted by 'guests' so it's not unreasonable to assume that they were in some way connected. (Of course, if this site displayed IP addresses next to people's avatars it'd be easy to detect multiple posting from someone using different aliases.)

are free to get as annoyed as you like at the delay... personally, I'm happy to wait because I know the artwork will be fantastic.
              Hmm... I sense great anger there, have you ever considered taking up yoga? ;)

A pity that we can't have had all four parts in one lovely big book.That would have been worth waiting for. :twisted:
              Oh I'm sure it's only a matter of time before that big book appears. Hang on in there, fella. ;)
              _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
              _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
              _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
              _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

Thank you for that wonderful example of nested quotes, demos!

Cheers,
                Ant

Comment

And we all know the name of Vincent Hollins Right because it's so easy for you to draw a comic that your output and reputation far outstrips that of Walter Simonson... no?

Lets say that my artwork surpasses the excreble picture done in MM's Multiverse vertigo comic of a servant of the Machinoix (saying "Oh Oh Oh Sir! My masters cannot be ordered!") that looks like a 4 year old drew it.

(And it's pretty easy to edit a reply with embedded quotes correctly, but that actually seems beyond you.)

I don't think it is,whose replies are you reading sir?

And, you know, those stars do count for something. They're a measure of how active someone has been in, and how much someone has contributed to, this community. If you feel you can contribute, register, let us know something about yourself (a link to your online portfolio, perhaps?), establish some credit here...

You may have found Dee's comments patronizing, but, frankly, your comments only belittle the truly great comic book artists - any great artists - who work hard for their art.

Judging from the standard of some of Walt Simonsen's art he isn't amongst the 'great artists' you so venerate.I wish Walt would work hard to produce some nice artwork for a change.If you don't like my opinion go home and have a good cry. :P
                  There's a reason the film about Michaelangelo wasn't called the Ease and the Ecstasy...

Confusing comic book artists with classical ones isn't too good an analogy.However if you want some excellent painter/comicbook artists you can't knock Steve Rude's comic covers of a few years ago.I could go on but I'm too busy laughing at ypur inept reposte :twisted:

Cordialement,
                  Ant[/quote]

Comment

I'm sorry, I just can't resist the temptation... Flame on!

Originally posted by Vincent_hollins_Right
                    Lets say...
                    Oh, stop right there! That should be, "Let's say...". Proper punctuation is as easy as putting pen to paper (or fingers to keyboard)!

Well, demos99's, whose last posting I already drew attention to as a good example of using quotes in replies... quotes within quotes, too!

Judging from the standard of some of Walt Simonsen's art he isn't amongst the 'great artists' you so venerate.I wish Walt would work hard to produce some nice artwork for a change.If you don't like my opinion go home and have a good cry. :P
                    I think Walt Simonson - with a final "o", not an "e" - has too sufficently well-established a reputation to warrant my defending it. You are entitled to your opinion, of course - and whether I like it or not (or value it or not), it's certainly not going to move me to tears!

Confusing comic book artists with classical ones isn't too good an analogy.
                    It wasn't an analogy at all! And I wasn't confusing them, although I may have been guilty of conflating them.

I could go on but I'm too busy laughing at ypur inept reposte
                    Ah... more errors. Oh, well. I do hope this further reply, which you'll no doubt consider equally inept, keeps you too busy laughing to post more of your own...

Cordialement,
                    Ant

Comment

Sorry to intrude on your ego rutting guys :) .May I say that not all of us want to show how much we do for our online communities or how much we have done to support MM and his works.Not all of us like to be registered card carrying members of groups that we support in our various ways.It seems like blowing your own trumpet having stars next to your online name, but each to his/her own.If it makes you feel good get those little stars on your name,but don't diss folk who don't have them or who don't want to become members of MWM, even though they post and support the site and MM :) .

Comment

[broken link]
                        Last edited by Rothgo; 04-24-2010, 05:55 AM.

Comment

I don't have a strong opinion on waiting for number three. Things happen when they happen, and I don't think complaining about it will help, especially since Mike has done his part. I'm sure it will be worth reading when it comes out, as will Vengeance when it comes out. I cannot imagine a way that any of us has earned the right to demand a production speed from Mike (except maybe Linda).

I find it regretful that someone who appears to be a fan would take advantage of Mike's generosity on this site by trolling, especially in a forum that (ironically) takes up some of his valuable time. I would hate for Mike to lose some of his enthusiasm for this place because of someone's selfishness.

Comment

Originally posted by Andy_Wellsby
                            ...If it makes you feel good get those little stars on your name,but don't diss folk who don't have them or who don't want to become members of MWM, even though they post and support the site and MM :) .
                            Chacun أ  son goأ»t, of course, Andy. I surely wouldn't "dis" folk that don't have the little stars... maybe my attempt at sardonic homour missed it's mark. But our other guest was surely being derogatory to those of us who do...

'nuff said.

Cordialement,
                            Ant

Comment

NEw comic

So guys, is there any news of when or if the next new Elric: The Waiting Of A Sorceror will be in the comic shops? :?

Sally :D ]

Comment

Working...
                              X