Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

French hardback edition of new Elric comic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• French hardback edition of new Elric comic

I just got back from a two-week holiday in South-East France. In a book shop in the town of Uzأ¨s I picked up the French hardback edition of Elric: La Naissance d’un Sorcier. This book collects the first two issues of the Moorcock – Simonson comic published in English by DC as Elric: The Making of a Sorcerer.

The printing of this French edition is very good. The colours look better than they do in the US edition. As a result the art has more depth and looks even better than it originally did (which was pretty darn good anyway!). The overall design and production values are very strong too. Well done, Soleil productions of Toulon!

I should add that the colours have not been in any way re-done; they are Steve Oliff’s original pages. It is simply that the printing and the colour balance are better. Possibly the heavier paper stock has a quality which takes the inks better too. Despite all this the price is incredibly reasonable; € 12.50 (Just over $15.00). (Listed at € 13.50 on the publisher’s web site.)

Minor quibbles: On some pages the blacks look a bit weak, slightly working against the improved colour. The lettering is less than brilliant. The front cover credits “Simonson – Oliff� above the title “Michael Moorcock’s Elric.� This could be misleading; lots of comics in recent years have used the apostrophised author’s name to conceal a story written or adapted by a different writer. The title La Naissance d’Un Sorcier doesn’t appear on the cover, though this does allow them to blow up the artwork a bit, giving the cover greater graphic impact.

Overall, I would think Steve and Walter must be pleased. (I seem to recall Mike saying Walter has seen the book and likes it.)

Have you seen the book yet, Mike? If not, contact the publisher here:

http://www.soleil-lesite.com/index.p...=/bigbang.asp?

People tend to think I'm just being anal and chauv when I praise the quality of french comic editions

Comment

Mais non!

Comment

I completely agree, Mord, Guy.

The range and quality of the French bandes dessinأ©es is stunning! A colleague recommended a shop to me when we were in Cannes; suggested I might pick up someting for my boys. I was overwhelmed by the choice!

I ended up by buying two in the Lanfeust series by Arleston and Tarquin... also published by Soleil!

The hidden agenda was to help them with their French... but they've now given it up, and will be taking only German at GCSE (as I did!). But I'm very tempted to pick it up again... and I'll be in Cannes again in November.

Cordialement,
        Ant

Comment

Originally posted by Ant
          I ended up by buying two in the Lanfeust series by Arleston and Tarquin... also published by Soleil!
          Then you might recognize my avatar

Comment

Yes! I just this moment spotted that!!!

Cordialement,
            Ant

Comment

Bandes dessinأ©es in France and Belgium are usually more "elaborated" in their presentation than comics because albums were in the beginning first published in the press, as elsewhere, and then edited with hardback, almost as collection pieces. Reading albums democratized in the 70's-80's. Don't know if it's the same in UK or USA. Soleil is, along with Delcourt (you should take a look at their publications at http://www.editions-delcourt.fr) one of the recently better french BD publisher (a lot of french authors, but translating also Moore and Campbell's FROM HELL, for example).

Comment

Re: French hardback edition of new Elric comic

Originally posted by GuyLawley
                ... This book collects the first two issues of the Moorcock – Simonson comic published in English by DC as Elric: The Making of a Sorcerer...
                So... the second book will collect parts 3 and 4, non? And it's due out August 2005...

They seem a bit confused too about the relationship between this and the movie...
                Originally posted by Soleil, via BabelFish
                Traditional of the literature of kind, this series, envisaged into two opus, is already optionnأ©e for a film adaptation. Origins of the one of the largest heroes of heroic fantasy finally revealed by Moorcock, the creator of the series. With Simonson, with the drawing, it presents here the adventures to us which carried out Elric on the throne of Melnibonأ©. Elric, like Conan, are one of the spearheads of the literature of kind...
                Cheers,
                Ant

Comment

Thanks, Guy. No luck in contacting them yet. My copies went to Texas, apparently, so I still haven't seen it.
                  Obviously the 2nd book won't be out this month! Given that Walter has only just started thumbnailing the fourth and last one!
                  I've tried to contact them, but without success yet.

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in Europe:
                  The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
                  Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in the USA:
                  The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
                  Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

I guessed the part about Texas!

The numbers given on the Soleil site, as you probably saw, are:

tel: 04 94 185 185

fax: 04 94 220 468

Comment

Originally posted by Ant
                      I completely agree, Mord, Guy.

The range and quality of the French bandes dessinأ©es is stunning! A colleague recommended a shop to me when we were in Cannes; suggested I might pick up someting for my boys. I was overwhelmed by the choice!

The hidden agenda was to help them with their French... but they've now given it up, and will be taking only German at GCSE (as I did!). But I'm very tempted to pick it up again... and I'll be in Cannes again in November.

Cordialement,
                      Ant
                      Just got back from Cannes, with a copy of Elric! C'est trأ¨s bon! I concur with all Guy's comments. I hope the second volume is ready by November next year... (it's an annual trip for a company event).

(And the boys wanted more of the Arleston and Tarquin series... which they got!)

Now, if only my French would do it justice.

Cordialement,
                      Ant

Comment

The French comic is a fantastic production. Even though I've read the English editions, and I speak no French, I'm still fascinated by it. The heavier paper and attention to detail make the book--as an object--very pleasing.

My two cents... :D

Comment

I think the next album (last two DC gns) should be out by next November, Ant! Walter's working on the last one now!
                          He loves the French version, too. Just so much crisper than the US.

Comment

Are there any plans to release these in the UK (I don't understand French unfortuantely).

I assume they are at least available in comic format, but a graphic novel style collection would be good.

I've just picked up a copy of Multiverse from Amazon, but haven't yet got round to reading it.

Comment

Working...
                            X