Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Elric does not poop?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Random Goblin
    Nomad of the Time Streams
    • Jul 2005

Elric does not poop?

Whoa there!

I'm reading the Skrayling tree, and I came across the following paragraph:

I dusted off the crusader's surcoat I still wore and joined the wary lads, Leif and Leif, who typically had hands as carefully groomed as their hair was greasy. I supposed if they ate mostly with their fingers, there was a point to keeping them clean. Needing neither to shave nor, in the conventional sense, pass feces, few Melniboneans were familiar with beards or urinals. Many human habits remain deeply mysterious to us.
    (emphasis added)

If not in the conventional sense, then in what sense do Melniboneans "take care of business?"
  • manmiles
    Eternal Companion
    • Dec 2003

Maybe they don't need to poop.

Comment

• Ant
      Ant
      Eternal Companion
      • Dec 2003

Woah! We've been here [link expired]

Ciao,
      Ant

Comment

• Random Goblin
        • Jul 2005

Originally posted by Ant
        Woah! We've been here [link expired]!

Ciao,
        Ant
        Thanks! I'm a bit behind, I guess!

Sorry to be a bother.

Still, the shaving question is addressed, but I'm fixating on the passing of feces. I'm curious to hear an explanation.

Comment

• A_Non_Ymous
          • Jul 2004

Perhaps urea and other such items are secreted by a series of pores between the fingers?

No wonder the other races didn't care to shake hands with them!

:lol:

LSN

Comment

• mordenkainen
            Eternal Companion
            • Dec 2004

surely one can imagine a perfect digestive system, able to process and make the most of 100% of the matter ingested.
            Or at least convert it to urea or another soluble compound. No mention is made of not pissing, right?

Comment

• mordenkainen
              Eternal Companion
              • Dec 2004

a melnibonean's gastric acid would be something like Alien's blood...

Comment

• Dead-Air
                Eternal Champion
                • Jun 2004

Well, being sustained by drugs and souls, I don't get the impression that Elric peronally eats very much. Other Melniboneans are of course not albinos and different from him, but there's not a lot about them eating too often either.
                My Facebook; My Band; My Radio Show; My Flickr Page; Science Fiction Message Board

Comment

• mordenkainen
                  Eternal Companion
                  • Dec 2004

...not eating sounds really un-decadent to me, though :lol:

however, if that is the case, it entails a lot of anatomic peculiarities...what kind of organs occupy all the room that in humans is taken by the digestive system? huge lungs maybe??? a second heart?

and, in the absence of an anus, do melniboneans have only one big, sleek buttock????

Comment

• L'Etranger
                    Veteran Moorcockista
                    • Dec 2003

Originally posted by Dead-Air
                    Well, being sustained by drugs and souls, I don't get the impression that Elric peronally eats very much. Other Melniboneans are of course not albinos and different from him, but there's not a lot about them eating too often either.
                    Well, I always took it like actors never locking and unlocking their cars in the movies, one can easily skip things that don't propel the plot much.
                    Google ergo sum

Comment

• xidrep
                      Champion of the Balance
                      • Nov 2004

Perhaps Melniboneans produce little pellets which are intermittently and neatly regurgitated, like owls?

Comment

• Michael Moorcock
                        Site Host
                        • Dec 2003

That's exactly what I imagined, incidentally. Always seemed the most efficient way of doing things. In fact didn't someone discover some fossilised Melnibonean pellets only a few years ago ?

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in Europe:
                        The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
                        Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in the USA:
                        The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
                        Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

• xidrep
                          Champion of the Balance
                          • Nov 2004

Yes: Yin, X V & Twang, W:'Melnibonean coprobelch nodules unearthed in Kensington High Street' , Journal of The Fictional Faex, 19, p212-248, Dusseldorf, 2004.

Comment

• Random Goblin
                            • Jul 2005

I asked the question over on rpg.net, and here's what some people said:

Elric: "Woe him who hears the wyrd of the white wolf! For my story is a mornful and hell-wrought tale of dread. Would you listen to it through, the gloom and dread would freeze the very blood in your viens."

Moonglum: "Dude, when was the last time you had a good shit? I get all kinds of grumpy when I'm plugged up. You need to lay off the cheese and get more fiber."

Elric: "Alas, but not even fiber will move these weazened and washed-out bowles. Hand me the cheddar, less my fell runeblade Stormbringer- my legacy and curse- taste your soul!"

Moongulm: "Alright Dude, but don't blame me when your pooper siezes up forever."
                            Aha! All excess nutrition consumed is perfectly metabolized into decadence and angst!

Comment

Working...
                            X