Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Edward Elric / Full Metal Alchemist

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Edward Elric / Full Metal Alchemist

I don't know anything about this character Edward Elric, in the Japanese manga or anime Full Metal Alchemist, and nor does Mike.

But we both want to know a bit more.

Anyone know the material?

Doesn't look anything like the Elric we know and love !

This is a link to a web site about the anime / character:

http://www.edwardelric.com/

I've seen two or three episodes, and I didn't observe any Moorcock references or liftings. The animation is excellent but the storytelling is mostly boring. The characters are members of some military organization, so the dialog is very banal. The main character's brother is a very large cyborg and talks with the child's voice.
    The cat spread its wings and flew high into the air, hovering to keep pace with them as they moved cautiously toward the city. Then, as they climbed over the rubble of what had once been a gateway and began to make their way through piles of weed-grown masonry, the cat flew to the squat building with the yellow dome upon its roof. It flew twice around the dome and then came back to settle on Jhary's shoulder. - The King of the Swords

Comment

Ah, the old "My Brother The Cyborg" schtick.

:) :? :)

Thanks, Berry.

Comment

51 episodes! God almighty...he'll need to be a bloody good alchemist to keep one's attention for that long... :?

Comment

I'm reminded of a Czech writer friend of mine who wanted to use a common English name and hit on using Moorcock... At the time I don't think there were ANY others in the London phone book. The Japanese can be forgiven, in other words, for lifting Western names without really understanding the references.

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in Europe:
          The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
          Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in the USA:
          The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
          Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

My Honey's Tastes a Lot of Licky. Anyone else remember that popular Japanese sweet ? I used to think there was a drunken AWOL GI in a bar somewhere in downtown Tokyo whom Japanese manufacturers used to go to to buy him a few drinks and ask him to name their product. There was no other logical explanation.

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in Europe:
            The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
            Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in the USA:
            The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
            Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

For more bizarreness of this sort, I wholeheartedly recommend:

http://www.engrish.com

Comment

Excellent site, Mary :) I do love trying to decipher those printed-in-China flatpack instructions written in Engrish :?
                'You know, I can't keep up with you. If I hadn't met you in person, I quite honestly would NOT believe you really existed. I just COULDN'T. You do so MUCH... if half of what goes into your zines is to be believed, you've read more at the age of 17 than I have at the age of 32 - LOTS more'

Archie Mercer to Mike (Burroughsania letters page, 1957)

Comment

Actually

FMA is a pretty interesting series. They tackle topics not seen too often in animation, let alone often in fiction.

The story is this, Alchemy works, via the princple of equivalent exchange.
                  In other words, you need to give something up, to get what you want. So,
                  it takes so much metal, an oil, to produce a gun, with alchemy. The 2 brothers, are very gifted in alchemy. One day, their mother falls ill, an then soon dies. The 2 boys go off to train, to become skilled alchemists, with the intent of bringing their dead mother back to life, something very forbidden. In the act of trying to bring her back, things go VERY wrong. The younger brother, Alphonse's who body is destroyed, while his older brother, Edward, has his leg destroyed. To save Al, Edward destroys his own arm, to fuel a "soul attachment", basicly, he anchored his brother's soul to a suit of armor, thus he is not a cyborg at all, is a soul, bound to armor. They both pull through. Edward has his arm a leg replaced with what they call "auto-mail", steam-punk cybernetics. From there, they decide to become "State Alchemists", military alchemic warriors, in hopes of getting access of the great works of alchemy. With this, they hope to find a way to create the legendary- Philosopher's Stone, to get Al back his body, and heal Ed.

The series goes into many diffrent topics, an has few simple answers. In fact, make sure you watch episodes 5.6. and 7, for a great idea of what the series it like. I dare someone to watch all 3 of those, an keep a dry eye. It just blows me away how anyone can watch the series, an call it boring.

Oh, an no, the series has nothing to do with our favorite pigment challenged friend. But, it is a great series to check out. It is currently running on Cartoon Network's Adult Swim, at 12:30 AM EST. Mon-Weds nights. Monday would be a pretty good starting point, they are currently up to episode 3, episode 4 is on Monday.

Comment

I just got back from 2 weeks' holiday and read that last post.

Thanks very much for the detailed review. Sounds fairly interesting. I’ll try to check it out, though I don’t have any cable or satellite TV as yet.

Comment

I am also a FMA fan. It's not the best anime or story out there or anything like that but its good...enough to take up my tivo space :D

Comment

The cartoon is pretty weak........not as good as samurai champloo.
                        Maybe im just disgruntled
                        over the fact that ''Fool Mental Alky Chest's''
                        elric keeps messing up my ebay search for real Elric.

I have to wade through pages of balderdash
                        just because they didn't named him Edward Von Elton
                        or something.....

The closet rip off is Inuyasha.

When it comes time to die
                        Sing your death song
                        and die like a warrior.

http://www.aliensurgeon.com

Comment

Originally posted by HellHound
                          Maybe im just disgruntled
                          over the fact that ''Fool Mental Alky Chest's''
                          elric keeps messing up my ebay search for real Elric.
                          It should be fairly easy to get round that. On the advanced search page there's a field for words to exclude from your search. Just type "alchemist" or "Edward" in there and it'll filter out all the results with those words in.

Or you can just use the minus symbol in the normal search field. So "Elric -alchemist" would return all the results for "Elric", minus all the ones that include "alchemist".

I hope that makes some sense. :?

Comment

Thanks TM,
                            It all makes sense,
                            I was just in the mood for complaining:>)

What I ment is: nobody else should use the name Elric
                            except for MM, but thats a bit selfish, aye?

\m/z\m/
                            When it comes time to die
                            Sing your death song
                            and die like a warrior.

http://www.aliensurgeon.com

Comment

Originally posted by Typhoid_Mary
                              For more bizarreness of this sort, I wholeheartedly recommend:

http://www.engrish.com
                              English's not my mother language but this website is really funny!!! On the other hand, I start to fear my writing would make some people laugh...arg

Comment

Working...
                              X