Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Regarding the Two White Wolf Elric Ominbuses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Regarding the Two White Wolf Elric Ominbuses

Hi there, Mr. M, everyone.

I'm a big fan of your work, having read the Von Bek, John Daker and Hawkmoon books. I've snagged a copy of White Wolf's edition of "Elric: The Stealer of Souls" and I'm wondering if it's recommended to start reading that, or get "Elric: Song of the Black Sword (White Wolf)" and read that first.
    My local fantasy/sf bookstore doesn't have a copy of Song of the Black Sword, and it's on back order. I'm keen to read the Elric books, so any help would be greatly appreciated. 8)

I really think you should start with Song of the Black Sword, or just look for these novels individually:

Elric of Melnibone
    Fortress of the Pearl
    Sailor on the Seas of Fate
    Weird of the White Wolf

That will cover just about all the material in Song. You can use www.abe.com (advanced book exchange) to find those books in paperback, probably for cheap. Hell, you'll probably find "Song" there as well.

Comment

Yes, it should still be possible to get decent second hand copies of the original books, though I note people are beginning to charge more for good copies of the omnibuses. These are now completely out of print in the US, having been withdrawn from White Wolf. However, you'll note Jayde Design are offering books via the 'Vendor' section of the Forum and they are definitely the best people to try. You could also buy a copy of the UK mass-market edition of the first Elric omnibus, which would be cheaper than buying the US trade paperback. These are easily available via Amazon UK (scroll to bottom of Amazon site and you'll see various other country's Amazons available -- the books are also available in
      French, German, Hebrew and many other languages!). I'm inclined to recommend the UK mass market editions of the omnibuses as being the best value, containing everything which is in the hardbacks and trade paperbacks. I happen to like the Gould covers better, too.

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in Europe:
      The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
      Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in the USA:
      The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
      Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

A thousand thanks for the helpful posts, but fear not, I have returned from my local bookstore with a delicious trio of MM books:

Behold the Man
        Dancers of the End of Time (SF Masterworks)
        Elric of Melnibone (Gollancz Omnibus) This is pretty much the same as the White Wolf "Song" omnibus, as it has the same books.

I've read half of Behold the Man and I'm intrigued and interested. Great stuff, Mr. M. :)

Comment

Thanks a lot. Do Australians share the convenience of Canadians, for instance, who can often buy both UK and US editions -- though I note you got all UK editions on that last expedition.

The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
          Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
          Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

I believe we do, as my bookstore stocks White Wolf champion omnibuses. I love this country. 8)

Comment

The way I understand it, books traditionally came into Australia via Britain. To see a book by an American writer, we used to have to wait until they were released in the British editions (with the spelling suitably modified), which were then either imported here or reprinted locally. But these days all bets are off, because why would you wait two years for the British edition of an American book, when you can have the American edition now and have it as it was originally intended? I believe many more books are imported direct from the US now, in spite of the difference in spelling.

Comment

Wow!I just finished Behold the Man and then Elric of Melnibone. Top work on both. I can see why Elric is the most popular Champion.

Now I can't get enough of Elric! :)

Comment

Oh wow! I've been trying to track down a Trade Cloth copy of "Elric: Stealer of Souls" for about four years now. I had purchased it when it was first released here in the US, but made the mistake of loaning it to a College buddy...and he spilled an entire bottle of Captain Morgan all over it. He said he would replace it, but never did. Now I see they're going for $80US or more!!! Well, at least I found where I can get them; I'll just have to set some money aside. I'll finally be able to finish my EC omnibus collection (I have--or will have--all 15 in both Trade Cloth and Trade Paper).

Thanks!
                  "In omnibus requiem quaesivi, et nusquam inveni nisi in angulo cum libro"
                  --Thomas a Kempis

Comment

Originally posted by EverKing
                    Oh wow! I've been trying to track down a Trade Cloth copy of "Elric: Stealer of Souls" for about four years now. I had purchased it when it was first released here in the US, but made the mistake of loaning it to a College buddy...and he spilled an entire bottle of Captain Morgan all over it. He said he would replace it, but never did. Now I see they're going for $80US or more!!! Well, at least I found where I can get them; I'll just have to set some money aside. I'll finally be able to finish my EC omnibus collection (I have--or will have--all 15 in both Trade Cloth and Trade Paper).

Thanks!
                    I was lucky to get the last hardcover Stealer of SOuls that Barnes and Noble.com ever had for the normal price. I am 4 hardcovers short of the complete collection:

kane

the two dancers

aubec

All of them I saw at one point in a bookstore and did not buy for one reason or another. Now it will cost me $200 to pick them up off ABE.

Comment

I checked out the Amazon UK editions. They look great, but the collector in me wants to have the complete White Wolf hardcover set, so I'm going to continue looking at the different websites available until I can get what I want without breaking the bank. Kane of Old Mars is out of control- I saw it going for almost $100 on Ebay the other day, and the auction wasn't over yet!

Comment

White Wolf editions

First off, I was pretty psyched to find this site. I first read the original 6 Elric books in high school (80's), and I'm now working my way through all the White Wolf collection.

I just read in another forum here they're actually working on a MOVIE! Sweet! I can't say I'm suprised, though. After LOTR, I'm sure every studio is looking for an established "fantasy" property. I just hope the studio isn't expecting another LOTR. And did I read that right, $100 Million budget? I realize that that's not as immense as it was a few years ago, but under the right direction that should be enough to make quite an epic! I can't wait!

Sorry, back to the topic... I too am trying to complete my omnibus collection, as I'm missing volume 1, 2, and "Nomad..." (don't recall the volume #) in hardcover, although I do have the Borealis paperback versions. Just want to say that if anyone finds a good source for these please post it here... I've thought about ordering them used through Amazon, but I often find the books that show up under the used link aren't the same editions, which makes me a bit wary...

Ironically, a couple of years before I had a nice job and could afford to buy nice books, I saw a stack of "Nomad..." in a mall bookstore for like $5. Since I didn't think I'd ever get the rest I passed... Doh!

Comment

The budget's what I've been told. It could be hype. We'll find out.
                          As for the British editions -- apart from Von Bek, as far as I know they didn't go to more than one edition. After that they went into mass market paperback, so you're probably all right if you buy the hardbacks.
                          If I were you, I'd check out the Vendor section of this site and contact John Davey at Jayde Design. Oh, sorry. Noticed you were talking $.
                          In which case the same goes for White Wolf editions. There has only been one edition of each -- and the last two didn't even go to trade paperback. The contract ran out before White Wolf could reprint any of the editions.
                          Check out John Davey first, anyway. You might find his prices are better.

Comment

Okay, Dream Haven books rocks! I found two of the four Eternal Champion hardcovers I was missing at NORMAL COVER PRICE!!!

http://www.dreamhavenbooks.com/

Go down to the bottom of the page and search by Author. This will take you over to Abe books, whom Dream Haven does business through. Search by author "Moorcock" and publisher "white wolf" and you should find about a few books left. Here they are:

1. Moorcock, Michael
                            Eternal Champion #03: Hawmoon
                            Trade PB (White Wolf 1996). Includes "The Jewel in the Skull", "The Mad God's Amulet", "The Sword of the Dawn", and "The Runestaff". New copies with some shelfwear. [ISBN 1-56504-193-3]. ISBN:1565041933 Bookseller Inventory #N4577
                            Price: US$ 14.99 (Convert Currency)
                            Bookseller: DreamHaven Books, Minneapolis, MN, U.S.A. (Search this Seller's Books)(Ask Bookseller a Question)

2. Moorcock, Michael
                            Eternal Champion #04: A Nomad of the Time Streams
                            Trade PB (White Wolf 1997). Includes "The Warlord of the Air", "The Land Leviathan", and "The Steel Tsar". New copies with some shelfwear. [ISBN 1-56504-194-1]. ISBN:1565041941 Bookseller Inventory #N4582
                            Bookseller: DreamHaven Books, Minneapolis, MN, U.S.A. (Search this Seller's Books)(Ask Bookseller a Question)

3. Moorcock, Michael
                            Eternal Champion #06: The Roads Between the Worlds
                            Trade PB (White Wolf 1998). Includes "The Wrecks of Time", "The Winds of Limbo", and "The Shores of Death". New copies with some shelfwear. [ISBN 1-56504-197-6]. ISBN:1565041976 Bookseller Inventory #N4579

4. (Moorcock, Michael) Kramer, Edward E.
                            Michael Moorcock's Pawn of Chaos: Tales of the Eternal Champion
                            Trade PB (White Wolf 1996). An anthology of 23 original stories set in Moorcock's Multiverse, a universe upon universe of alternate time and space in which law and chaos wage a continuous struggle to change the fundamental rules of existence. Authors include Michael Moorcock, John Shirley, Nancy A. Collins, Richard Lee Byers, Caitlin R. Kiernan, Peter Crowther, Gary Gygax, and more. New copies with some shelfwear. [ISBN 1-56504-933-0]. ISBN:1565049330 Bookseller Inventory #N4576

5. Moorcock, Michael
                            Eternal Champion #07: Corum: The Coming of Chaos
                            Trade PB (White Wolf 1999). Includes "The Knight of the Swords", "The Queen of the Swords", and "The King of the Swords". New copies with some shelfwear. [ISBN 1-56504-196-8]. ISBN:1565041968 Bookseller Inventory #N4575
                            Price: US$ 16.99 (Convert Currency)

6. Moorcock, Michael
                            Eternal Champion #04: A Nomad of the Time Streams
                            HC (White Wolf 1995). Includes "The Warlord of the Air", "The Land Leviathan", and "The Steel Tsar". New copies with some shelfwear. [ISBN 1-56504-179-8]. ISBN:1565041798 Bookseller Inventory #N4578
                            Price: US$ 19.99 (Convert Currency)

7. Moorcock, Michael
                            Eternal Champion #06: The Roads Between the Worlds
                            HC (White Wolf 1996). Includes "The Wrecks of Time", "The Winds of Limbo", and "The Shores of Death". New copies with some shelfwear. [ISBN 1-56504-181-X]. ISBN:156504181X Bookseller Inventory #N4581
                            Price: US$ 21.99 (Convert Currency)

8. Moorcock, Michael
                            Eternal Champion #07: Corum: The Coming of Chaos
                            HC (White Wolf 1997). Includes "The Knight of the Swords", "The Queen of the Swords", and "The King of the Swords". New copies with some shelfwear. [ISBN 1-56504-182-8]. ISBN:1565041828 Bookseller Inventory #N4580

9. Moorcock, Michael
                            Eternal Champion #08: Sailing to Utopia
                            HC (White Wolf 1997). Includes "The Ice Schooner", "The Black Corridor", "The Distant Suns", and "Flux". New copies with some shelfwear. [ISBN 1-56504-183-6]. ISBN:1565041836 Bookseller Inventory #N4572

10. Moorcock, Michael
                            Eternal Champion #15: Count Brass
                            HC (White Wolf 2000). Includes "Count Brass", "The Champion of Garathorm" and "The Quest for Tanelorn". New copies with some shelfwear. [ISBN 1-56504-987-X]. ISBN:156504987X Bookseller Inventory #N4569
                            Price: US$ 24.99 (Convert Currency)

Some of these books go for up to $100 with other booksellers on ABE, so get over there and get what you need. now all I have left to buy are Legends from the End of Time and Kane!!!

Comment

Working...
                            X