Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Stormbringer replica

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stormbringer replica

In your old site (that i liked most) I saw a stormbringer replica that was to be available at some time. Will that happen?

As far as I know the sword is still available from Raven Armoury. While I think they might have licensed a cheaper version, their version (which is superbly balanced and a very elegant piece of work all round) has to be ordered. I don't have any current information for them, but I'm sure a simple search should turn them up.

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in Europe:
    The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
    Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in the USA:
    The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
    Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

Raven Armoury

Lockup- The Raven Armoury is a great place to go and visit., (http://www.raven-armoury.co.uk) They where offering a Stormbringer Replica for a while but I can't seem to find the page for it anymore. (that dosn't mean it's not there somewhere)

Personaly I didn't like the design of the replica they where selling. It looked very much like the artwork on the cover of "Elric at the End of Time". I myself prefer the classic look from the Elric Saga covers released by ACE publishing.,

Anyway I contacted the good people at Raven Armoury and they are making a replica just for me, according to my specifications. (pretty cool huh) They even contacted Moorcock and made sure it was alright...

Here is the only bad part. There is about a three year waiting list for any custom work, and the finished project is going to cost me about $2,500 to $3,500 US..

-Eric

Comment

I ressurrected this page:

[broken link]
        Last edited by Rothgo; 04-13-2010, 11:58 AM.
        The cat spread its wings and flew high into the air, hovering to keep pace with them as they moved cautiously toward the city. Then, as they climbed over the rubble of what had once been a gateway and began to make their way through piles of weed-grown masonry, the cat flew to the squat building with the yellow dome upon its roof. It flew twice around the dome and then came back to settle on Jhary's shoulder. - The King of the Swords

Comment

8O I can not beleive theres a sword thats been made to look like Stormbringer. I used to talk about how neat it would be to have a sword that looked like that. I cant even begin to describe my reaction when I went to the page and read about it, then SAW it!! For me personally, I love the design they chose for it. To me it is as close as you can get to Stormbringer. Ive drawn Stormbringer in various past art work and this is so close to the design Ive always used it was just too freaky to look at it.

I went to the website and saw nothing about the blade. Does anyone know where one could even begin to look for a copy of this sword?
          Ultra Magnus to Sandstorm. \"I\'ve never seen anything this beautiful in the entire galaxy. . . Alright, give me the bomb.\"

Comment

You could email them and ask about it. Maybe they have a catalog.

My question is, did you click on the images you saw for a close up?
            The cat spread its wings and flew high into the air, hovering to keep pace with them as they moved cautiously toward the city. Then, as they climbed over the rubble of what had once been a gateway and began to make their way through piles of weed-grown masonry, the cat flew to the squat building with the yellow dome upon its roof. It flew twice around the dome and then came back to settle on Jhary's shoulder. - The King of the Swords

Comment

Originally posted by Berry Sizemore
              You could email them and ask about it. Maybe they have a catalog.
              I was thinking about that and will probably do so.

My question is, did you click on the images you saw for a close up?
              I did. I think its beautiful IMO. I read some comments about how the runes look like they were taken from another design. Thats cool. The shape of the blade and pummel is just so close to how I always envisioned it. I am curious though as to the measurements of this replica? It doesnt look that long to be honest. Its been a while since Ive read the series but I seem to remember that Stormbringer was a pretty long?
              Ultra Magnus to Sandstorm. \"I\'ve never seen anything this beautiful in the entire galaxy. . . Alright, give me the bomb.\"

Comment

Wow! It's beautiful! I must have it!

But then, owning it may come at a cost far greater than just Armoury's fee... :?
                "Wounds are all I'm made of. Did I hear you say that this is victory?"
                --Michael Moorcock, Veteran of the Psychic Wars

Comment

I don't know the dimensions. I have held one. It is long.

Comment

Originally posted by PsychicWarVeteran
                    Wow! It's beautiful! I must have it!

But then, owning it may come at a cost far greater than just Armoury's fee... :?
                    Heeh I know what you mean . . . then again, if you really could replicate THE Stormbringer . . . its just the matter of accepting what youve done and :twisted: if you go that far, theres no turning back . . . well . . you /could/ try . . . but we all know what would happen then . . .

Originally posted by Berry Sizemore
                    I don't know the dimensions. I have held one. It is long.
                    As long as its not some 3 foot short sword replica that works for me ^_^

And talk about a sword to take to an SCA meet . . . got into that very briefly a few years ago but my local SCA chapter frowns big time on female warriors . . .

Comment

I love the leaf-blade design of the Raven Armoury replica in fact I generally love leaf-blades period (Glamdring from tLotR movies, for example). I'm not crazy about the hilt though...I seem to remember reading in one the books that Stormbringer had a simple leather wrapped hilt and that if weren't for the massive red-jewel in the pommel it would look like any other great sword out there. Oh, don't get me wrong, the Raven Armoury's hilt is a work of art and it deffinately looks how I'd imagine any other demon sword looking...but it just doesn't seem to be Stormbringer to me. Like my fellow Eric up there (in canse you haven't figured it out yet, that's my name...thus the nickname of Ever King...which in most varieties of germanic language is Eric) I always see stormbring with the more simplistic lines of Gould's art from the old ACE paperbacks...see my avatar for my personal favourite pic.

Of course, if I had the money I buy Raven Armoury's Stormbringer in heart beat! :lol:
                      "In omnibus requiem quaesivi, et nusquam inveni nisi in angulo cum libro"
                      --Thomas a Kempis

Comment

It's just the opposite for me. The Daw editions, especially this image:

http://www.stormbringer.net/images/elric/elric11.jpg

. . . is the image that for me, I most associate with Stormbringer.

I went back to the armory site last night and ketp looking until I found the sword (I dont know how I missed it the first time). Stormbringer is still up and for sale. They do not keep them in stock but make them per order. And yes, there is a 3 and a half year waiting period for them . . . you can also put a % down and make payments on it as well.

I will be placing my order in the next few weeks for sure. My biggest dilemma is whether I want the standard design they offer or a slightly customized variant on it. Considering the amount of money I'm about to fork out for it, perhaps I should have it customized a bit more to even more my liking. To me that would be slightly lengthening the blade at some point between the hilt and the leaf flare. Replacing the blue stones with either amethysts or red quartz. wrapping the hilt in black leather and somehow making the runes stand out more. I would also want a plain black sheath/scabbard made for it as well.

I figure with what Ive got to pay for the original design, I might as well get it tweaked out a bit ;)

And heres the dimensions of the sword:

Stormbringer is 'just under 56 inches and weighs around 6lbs'

To see the sword go to the main site, click on ‘Arms’. When the menu pops up on the left, scroll down to

Fantasy

Scimitars
                        Leafblades
                        Limited Editions
                        Hammers
                        Axes

Click ‘Limited Editions’ and there you go. To pursue it further click on ‘order’ on the top of header.

I appreciate the replies on this. Its got me on the way to getting the sword. Thanks!!

Comment

Ugh, I searched all over the site for it and never found it. Thanks posting how to locate it.

Of course, then I went to a conversion site and coverted the price to USD and: 1,900 British Pounds = 3,478.33 US Dollars!

*look of utter discouragement*

Yup, if I had that kind of money, I'd have it customized, too. Definitely needs red stones and a leather-wrapped handle.
                          "Wounds are all I'm made of. Did I hear you say that this is victory?"
                          --Michael Moorcock, Veteran of the Psychic Wars

Comment

Originally posted by PsychicWarVeteran
                            Ugh, I searched all over the site for it and never found it. Thanks posting how to locate it.
                            You are quite welcome ^_^. When I finally found it I wanted to make sure everyone else could get to it too!!

Of course, then I went to a conversion site and coverted the price to USD and: 1,900 British Pounds = 3,478.33 US Dollars!

*look of utter discouragement*

Yup, if I had that kind of money, I'd have it customized, too. Definitely needs red stones and a leather-wrapped handle.
                            Hey you got 3 1/2 years to pay for it. It's the 20-25% down that can bite. In my situation, I'm about to come into a small sum of money soon so there's my downpayment. I could pay it off at once but I won't decide for sure until then. It's the only time in my life I will ever have a chance at that blade and I dont plan on letting it slip by. And I agree, for that amount of money and time you have to wait, might as well customize it to better fit one's mental image of the blade you know ^_^

Comment

Could you give us the link to the sword please?

Originally posted by Starscream
                              I went back to the armory site last night and ketp looking until I found the sword (I dont know how I missed it the first time). Stormbringer is still up and for sale. They do not keep them in stock but make them per order. And yes, there is a 3 and a half year waiting period for them . . . you can also put a % down and make payments on it as well.

Comment

Working...
                              X