Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

White Wolf's Son - odd error

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• White Wolf's Son - odd error

There's a really bad "find and replace" error in WWS, where the "lt." of "revolt." has been replaced by "Lieutenant".
    You'd think a company as big as Time Warner could afford to hire a proof reader!

That said, the book is wonderful, easily the best of the last three (and we really need a collective name for them: the Silverskin Trilogy??)

I was also amused by the "about the author" bit, probably more than Dave Brock will be seeing Hawkwind described as Moorcock's band....
    "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl f'tagn"

Agreed; the book has not been well proof-read at all.

But that could not spoil my enjoyment of it.

I also noticed the reference to "Moorcock's group Hawkwind," a mistake I think they've made before.

The trilogy is officially known as The Elric Saga, isn't it? I'm at work and don't have my copy to hand.

That struck me as a confusing name as it could be applied to the whole set of Elric books.

Comment

Haven't read (or bought) WWS yet - just acquired the first two volumes yesterday actually - but as the subtitles for each are: A Tale of the Albino, The Albino in America, and The Albino Underground (iirc), perhaps 'The Albino Trilogy' would be appropriate?

Perhaps Mike had an overall title for the Trilogy though, in which I wouldn't presume to know better than the author himself. :)

Originally posted by GuyLawley
      The trilogy is officially known as The Elric Saga, isn't it? I'm at work and don't have my copy to hand.

That struck me as a confusing name as it could be applied to the whole set of Elric books.
      Guy, I think you right about that latter part. My copy of TDD has "By the author of the Elric Saga' on the front cover; it would seem odd to put that on the front of what would be the first volume of 'The Elric Saga'? (Kind of like putting 'By the author of Oliver Twist' on the front of 'Oliver Twist'. :?)
      _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
      _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
      _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
      _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

They're not errors, as such, merely the inevitable result of multiversal spheres conjunctioning in this book... :roll:

Comment

Conjoining, rather?

Comment

Actually, I think it was a secret code. Apparently someone over at Waner was trying to get a message out to a friend or family member in the Armed forces.

Did anyone notice, also, how many times Oona and Oonagh were swapped out? I guess that helps deepen the mystery a bit, but I had to re-read the sentence to make certain who they were talking about.

Still, I enjoyed the book. I devoured it, and hope to re-digest it soon.

Jeff

Comment

Re: White Wolf's Son - odd error

Originally posted by GreatOldOne
              That said, the book is wonderful, easily the best of the last three (and we really need a collective name for them: the Silverskin Trilogy??)
              Well, I checked, and right there at the front of WWS above the ISBN are the words:
              "Book 3 of the Elric saga."

I would submit that we don't have to take that too seriously, however.

The Elric'n'Oona show might be a possibility.

Or: The Last Elric Trilogy?

The Dream Trilogy? (as in: Dream of a Thousand Years)

The DTY Trilogy?

Let's ask Mike what he calls it !

Comment

though i enjoyed the story immensely, the typ'os made
                the story somewhat difficulLieutenant to read.

Comment

Enough with the typo jokes already!

It's not as if they were Mike's fauLieutenant.

Oops !!

:)

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Doom
                    Actually, I think it was a secret code. Apparently someone over at Waner was trying to get a message out to a friend or family member in the Armed forces.
                    :D

Originally posted by Lord Doom
                    Did anyone notice, also, how many times Oona and Oonagh were swapped out?
                    I didn't notice any Oona / Oonagh swaps. I'll have to look out for them in my second reading.

That has been postponed, BTW, as I re-devour City In The Autumn Stars (which I'm about 3/4 through now). Inspired by WWS, of course. Enjoying it more the second time around as is often the case with Mike's books.

First time I read it I was probably thinking: "Too much talk. Let's get to the action." Now I'm enjoying all the discussion of rationalism, the failure of the French Revolution etc.; the thematic material. It's an extension of the Law vs Chaos struggles, and the idea of man having to stand alone without God(s) as touched on in Corum and at the end of the original Elric saga.

Comment

i thought this was the most "experiencial" story of the entire
                      EC series. Having more to do with experiences and cognition
                      rather than hinging on a solid plot. a thoughtful end to an era.

i especially enjoyed the epilogue.

Comment

I have just received my copy - one minor niggle, Ingleton is in North Yorkshire, however until 1974 it was in the West Riding of Yorkshire. WWS is obviously set nowish with mention of cell phones (another minor niggle - as they are known as mobiles here)

When I were a lad in the mill towns of the Aire Valley the local schools sent kids on a weeks caving, walking etc based at Ingleborough Hall at Clapham, near Ingleton. But when the boundaries changed all that clean air ended up in North Yorkshire, with all the milltowns and cities in West Yorkshire - the coal and steel towns and cities ended up in their own enclave of South Yorkshire.
                        Statistically 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy.

Comment

Yes, Yorkshire has been mucked about a bit. I used to live in Lothersdale, not far from the West Yorks/ Lancashire/ N Yorks junction. From my regular run to Pinhaw Beacon I could see Ingleborough, Whernside, Pen-Y-Ghent and Pendle (fab) plus, from t'other side o' valley; the escarpment above Ilkley Moor (where I later lived also).
                          Fantastic place. I stil go up for a fell-run sometimes. The bogs get into your blood through t'oles int soles... :lol:

Comment

In fact, somewhere, near Colne I think, there is a small area called 'Roger Moor'.
                            No, really. :roll:

Comment

Originally posted by Elwher
                              I mention of cell phones (another minor niggle - as they are known as mobiles here)
                              Mike seems to have been writing with a US audience in mind: I also noted 'Ferris wheel' when 'big wheel' is normally used here.
                              \"...an ape reft of his tail, and grown rusty at climbing, who yet feels himself to be a symbol and the frail representative of Omnipotence in a place that is not home.\" James Branch Cabell

Comment

Working...
                              X