Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

White Wolf's Son *SPOILERS* Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Michael Moorcock
    replied
    Thanks, pard. All reported.

Leave a comment:

• Miqque
    replied
    Mike-

Save for the last chapter (me slowpokey!) here are the erratum I've found:

1. pg. 244 - Line 21 - "revoLieutenant"

2. pg. 250 - Line 23 - "joLieutenant" (may be missing a period)

3. pg. 304 - Line 16 - "difficuLieutenant"

4. pg. 310 - Line 12 - Gaynor says "Ravenblade" (? 'Ravenbrand')

Not bad, overall!

Loe and kisses
    TO YOUR KITTIES!

-M.

PS - more of review when I ain't working my butt off on real estate sales!

Leave a comment:

• Miqque
    replied
    "Guest" was me, too stupid to log in. :oops:

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Originally posted by Michael Moorcock
    Well, I could have sworn someone had a query about the three swords at the end of White Wolf's Son. I've searched both threads without any luck. If anyone can help here, I'd be grateful. I have another 24 hours leeway on this. I'm sure I can remember promising to explain this.
    Anyone remember ?
    Thanks, pards.
    There were Stormbringer and Mournblade; one character referenced it as Ravenbrand. This may be the confusion about "three" swords.
    :D

Leave a comment:

• Michael Moorcock
    replied
    Caught that one, thanks Guy. This was from someone saying that the swords had somehow got mixed up. To be honest I can't work it out, but I did promise to look at it and need a clue... :)

Leave a comment:

• GuyLawley
    replied
    My only query here (which you probably saw above) was: page 310, line 12, Gaynor refers to Ravenblade when I think he means Ravenbrand, unless it's a deliberate conflation of Ravenbrand and Mournblade.

Best of luck with this round of corrections.

Leave a comment:

• Michael Moorcock
    replied
    Well, I could have sworn someone had a query about the three swords at the end of White Wolf's Son. I've searched both threads without any luck. If anyone can help here, I'd be grateful. I have another 24 hours leeway on this. I'm sure I can remember promising to explain this.
    Anyone remember ?
    Thanks, pards.

Leave a comment:

• Michael Moorcock
    replied
    I appear to have missed a whole block of discussion here. I should say that the remark that there never was a Runestaff was not meant to be taken as gospel -- merely one character's perception of the truth. What's a runestaff in one sequence is a grail in another and so on. Very few of the characters in the multiverse have the ability to see the whole. It's hard enough for me...

Leave a comment:

• Michael Moorcock
    replied
    Eek. North Yorkshire, you say! I never knew that. I was living there in the eighties, still thinking I was in West Yorkshire. Sorry I didn't respond to this earlier, but I must have missed it between Spain and France!
    I'm not sure I can take all these changes, now. Proofing errors are one thing --- foul-hearted boundary changes and renamings are another. I know a friend of mine would only go to Ingleton because they, a Lancastrian, thought it was in Lancaster (since the postal address is via Carnforth, Lancs). People are still grumbling about the 'stolen' bits of Lancashire now in Cumbria. Where will it all end. I think I'll keep West Yorkshire for my lifetime. A minor divergence of the time streams... :)

Leave a comment:

• Miqque
    replied
    WWS #1

I pick up a nice hefty book. Cool picture. Nice embossed lettering. I open the book. Dear God! Chabon referencing Tolkien! Mike's gonna get an infection or something when he sees this! Can no nimnull ever cite something good about Mike without referencing the Prof? Okay, I will.

"Moorcock is this world's premier fantasy author."
    "Compared to Moorcock, all other fantasy is crap."
    "Moorcock spins webs that combine universes."
    "Forget the other stuff, Moorcock is the real deal."

I could go on, but I get this itch on my hairy feet...

Enough of the blurbs! I note ... the ... publisher. Warner. This can't be good. Warner/AOL/DC/Time/CHOAM. I glance over my shoulder, ready for an attack by flying useful-as-coasters-only CDs and a horde of auditors. But all is quiet. There is a soft rustle under the bed, but that's only the ghost of Julius Schwartz, tied up in a package and bound by a Paul Levitz bow tie. I read.

A clever young girl. A family manor. An unexpected party of familiar faces, save Mssr. Zodiac. Who is this cigarette-smoking news-on-TV-watching albino. Gosh, he seems familiar.

Things go badly. A bad guy! A race! Falling into a big hole on the grounds of stately Wayne Man... nope. Just a hole. Underground we go! A big chatty fox. More troubles. I become confused and decide I'm having a nic fit and delay further comments to post #2 ...

Leave a comment:

• Michael Moorcock
    replied
    Cheers, pard. Look forward to hearing from you!
    I think Warner must have done something, too, since some of the stuff isn't mine. I saw a few howlers I thought I'd been too tired to spot, but it turns out they probably weren't in my set of proofs! I feel a little better now.

Leave a comment:

• Miqque
    replied
    Same errata found as Guy and others noted. I suspect you might have done a search-and-replace at some point using "lt" to be corrected to "Lieutenant" and the silly thing picked a couple words ending in -lt and replaced 'em. I'll cite page/ine tonight as I finish the book! (Longmont Library got it right away. Hail Longmont Library!)

Overall a great book. Found the Texas visit with Una Persson particularly amusing, and kinda wanted much more there. Looks like there could be several books devoted to Hawkmoon's adventures against the Evil Empire which took place off the stage you were using. Delighted at character of Oonaugh; there's a heroine for many young girls. Also like Jack/Onric in a very different way.

Don't want to read earlier in this thread until I finish the novel (hopefully tonight). Will likely have more comments once done reading. Overall one factor I particularly liked is the frequent catching-up-with-the-workings-of-the-multiverse. Not only does this make a smoother read, but it's great as a gateway novel. Of the three, it is the most accessible. (But then, you do that: write murky at first and clear it up later.)

I would also like to see a trilogy compendium. Often English editions are first and American much later - but that's kind of what happened in history as we experienced it. (England existing before Amerikaans - er, America. I keep forgetting which avatar I'm on.)

More later, good buddy. Kudos for now!
    -M.

Leave a comment:

• Michael Moorcock
    replied
    OK! I'm ready to start looking at The White Wolf's Son and making changes. I think Warner's proof-reader already caught the London for Londra mistakes, but just in case, if you have any queries or corrections here's your chance to let me know about them. I'd be grateful if you could quote page and line number, pards!

Leave a comment:

• Michael Moorcock
    replied
    Sadly, I can't see it. Though maybe there'll be a UK edition we can do something about sometime.

Leave a comment:

• Lord Doom
    replied
    Mike,

It's nice to see the errors being taken into account.

But I have this last trilogy all in hardcover, and would love to have a "typo free" hardcover... any chance for a single hardcover collected edition of this last trilogy, or a limited edition (maybe small press) of WWS?

I know that this will probably not happen, at least for a few years, but one can dream. It'd be nice to have a hardcover or trade collection of all three Second Ether books as well, while I'm dreaming ;)

Jeff

Leave a comment:

Working...
X