Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

White Wolf's Son *SPOILERS* Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • duggm
    Corsair of the Second Ether
    • Sep 2004

Well, stylistic criticisms aside, I loved it for the story, the way it was told and how it brought many previous facets together. I also hated it as the last (?) of the EC novels.

At least we have the remaining Making of a Sorcerer issues to look forward to…

Thank you Mike.
    Don\'t blame me; I voted for Trixitroxi Ro!

Comment

Anonymous

You slay me.

Quiddit. :)

Comment

• duggm
        Corsair of the Second Ether
        • Sep 2004

Sorry, forgot to log in.
        Don\'t blame me; I voted for Trixitroxi Ro!

Comment

• Doc
          Doc
          Eternal Champion
          • Jan 2004

In the interest of returning this thread back to The White Wolf's Son, although not a spoiler--

Has it met Warner's expectations? It seems to be selling pretty well on Amazon, with a respectable sales rank the last time I looked. Just curious...

Comment

• Ant
            Ant
            Eternal Companion
            • Dec 2003

Originally posted by Doc
            ... Has it met Warner's expectations? ...
            I still find it sad that Mike seems to struggle to find a British publisher that respects both him and his work. I hope that the success of this last trilogy will help remedy that. Of course, the forthcoming movie will no doubt generate interest, but I hope we see something better than the usual kind of movie tie-ins.

As has been discussed on other threads, a new series of books along the lines of Wandering Star's Robert E. Howard editions would be most welcome.

Gr.,
            Ant

Comment

• Mikey_C
              Champion of the Balance
              • May 2004

Originally posted by Ant
              a new series of books along the lines of Wandering Star's Robert E. Howard editions would be most welcome.
              But hopefully a bit cheaper - and if they do a mass market paperback edition, without curly covers!! :roll:
              \"...an ape reft of his tail, and grown rusty at climbing, who yet feels himself to be a symbol and the frail representative of Omnipotence in a place that is not home.\" James Branch Cabell

Comment

• Typhoid_Mary
                Little Voice
                • Jun 2004

Curly covers? :?

Comment

• David Mosley
                  Eternal Administrator
                  • Jul 2004

Originally posted by Typhoid_Mary
                  Curly covers? :?
                  As opposed to the Moe and Larry covers presumably. :?
                  _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
                  _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
                  _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
                  _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

• Ant
                    Ant
                    Eternal Companion
                    • Dec 2003

Originally posted by Mikey_C
                    ... without curly covers!! :roll:
                    Yes! The Del Ray paperbacks - Wandering Star publish just the hardbacks - do have covers that curl outwards. Some U.S. phenomenon? (Although Bran Mak Morn seems free of this problem... so far.)

Cheers,
                    Ant

Comment

• Ant
                      Ant
                      Eternal Companion
                      • Dec 2003

Originally posted by Michael Moorcock
                      Paper cut to wrong grain is the usual reason for the curling outwards.
                      Multiverse had the same problem, I recall.
                      I can't see the difference between Conan #2 and Multiverse (both curly) and BMM (non-curly)... and you'll understand that I don't want to tear the covers to determine which way the grain runs...

But, my goodness, you can learn stuff on this site!

Cheers,
                      Ant

Comment

• Mikey_C
                        Champion of the Balance
                        • May 2004

The laminate starts to peel off the covers as well. :x When so much effort has been put producing into the 'definitive' edition of a classic at a price mere proles can afford, it's a shame they can't get these things right.
                        \"...an ape reft of his tail, and grown rusty at climbing, who yet feels himself to be a symbol and the frail representative of Omnipotence in a place that is not home.\" James Branch Cabell

Comment

• Ant
                          Ant
                          Eternal Companion
                          • Dec 2003

Originally posted by Mikey_C
                          The laminate starts to peel off the covers as well. ...
                          Thanks... I've just checked by oldest copy, Conan #1, and, yes, the laminate is crinkling up along the edges of front an back covers...

Anyone know how to fix that? (Short of re-covering the whole thing with clear sticky-backed plastic.)

You'd think the likes of Del Rey would know how to make durable paperbacks by now! (Maybe I should save up for the Wandering Star hardbacks... ?)

Cheers,
                          Ant

Comment

• Mikey_C
                            Champion of the Balance
                            • May 2004

Originally posted by Ant
                            Anyone know how to fix that? (Short of re-covering the whole thing with clear sticky-backed plastic.)
                            Funnily enough, that's exactly what I did :oops: - So now it looks like a school textbook!

Originally posted by Ant
                            (Maybe I should save up for the Wandering Star hardbacks... ?)
                            Perhaps that's the evil masterplan... :twisted:

Comment

Working...
                            X