Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

'White Wolf's Son' near publication?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'White Wolf's Son' near publication?

I don't know if anyone else has come across this, but there is a brief review of the aforementioned book about a quarter of the way down.

(Got you, Aral :) )
    You see, it's... it's no good, Montag. We've all got to be alike. The only way to be happy is for everyone to be made equal.

-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-

Image Hive :-: Wikiverse :-: Media Hive

:-: Onsite Offerings :-:

"I am an observer of life, a non-participant who takes no sides. I am in the regimented society, but not of it." Moondog, 1964

Re: 'White Wolf's Son' near publication?

Originally posted by Governor of Rowe Island
    (Got you, Aral :) )
    That's because I couldn't get the original link to work

And still can't... what does it say?
    'You know, I can't keep up with you. If I hadn't met you in person, I quite honestly would NOT believe you really existed. I just COULDN'T. You do so MUCH... if half of what goes into your zines is to be believed, you've read more at the age of 17 than I have at the age of 32 - LOTS more'

Archie Mercer to Mike (Burroughsania letters page, 1957)

Comment

This is it...

Originally posted by Henry Leon Lazarus
      Michael Moorcock started his career with a series of generic sword and sorcery tales about Elric of Melnibone, the albino sorcerer with red eyes and a soul-stealing sword Stormbringer that brought him strength. Originally I read them as a collection of stories followed by a novel with a cute twist. Since then Mr. Moorcock has been enhancing his vision, adding complexity with the concept of a multi-universe where all of his eternal champions fight to save the balance between Law and Chaos. The last two books have had Elric dreaming of our world on a thousand-year dream quest to bring Stormbringer to him and save his life. The White Wolf's Son (hard from Aspect) finishes that tale, but it is more the tale of the latest Van Bek, a ten-year-old girl who falls from our time into other phases of the multi-universe. Mrs. House (a living house) prophesied that Oonagh will recover the rune staff and the forces of evil want her. While the tale is fun, the background is a bit confusing to anyone who hasn't followed the Elric story. It is a must for fans.
      Cheers,
      Ant

Comment

When I posted what it said I found Ant had beat me to it, so I took it off, but here is the naked link if that'll make a difference -
        http://www.philly1.com/story8052505.html

I googled for other news but this was all there was.
        You see, it's... it's no good, Montag. We've all got to be alike. The only way to be happy is for everyone to be made equal.

-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-

Image Hive :-: Wikiverse :-: Media Hive

:-: Onsite Offerings :-:

"I am an observer of life, a non-participant who takes no sides. I am in the regimented society, but not of it." Moondog, 1964

Comment

Here's what the publishers say...

Originally posted by Time Warner Bookmark
          The White Wolf's Son: The Albino Underground
          by Michael Moorcock

One summer day in Yorkshire, young Oonagh von Bek finds herself on an extraordinary and perilous adventure. The earth outside her family home breaks open and she is chased into the subterranean realms of the Middle March by a pair of dangerous men.

Her grandmother and grandfather-Oona, the Dreamthief's Daughter, and Elric, the last sorcerer of Melnibonأ©-follow, encountering other important avatars of the Eternal Champion and seeking Elric's son. Fanning out across the infinite realms of existence and time, they hope to stop Oonagh's would-be kidnappers, Gaynor the Damned and his allies. All paths will converge in the dark empire of Granbretan, a land of cruel tyranny and wicked magic, where defilers and murderers plan the ultimate arrogance: to re-create the entire Multiverse-and replace the Cosmic Balance with themselves as eternal overlords...

(http://www.twbookmark.com/books/89/0446577022/)
          Then there's Kirkus Review: "The latest in Moorcock's long-running saga of Elric of Melnibone's adventures in the multiverse. ... Stylish performance from a giant of fantasy."

And Publishers Weekly (quoted on Amazon.com): "a triumph of mature talent and imagination".

Sounds pretty not bad...

Oh, by the way... publication date: 13 June 2005!

Ciao,
          Ant

Comment

Publishers weekly also has an interview with mike about his retirement from fantasy.
            Batman: It's a low neighborhood, full of rumpots. They're used to curious sights, which they attribute to alcoholic delusions.

Robin: Gosh, drink is sure a filthy thing, isn't it? I'd rather be dead than unable to trust my own eyes!

Comment

From Publishers Weekly
              Starred Review. In British author Moorcock's latest installment in an epic fantasy saga that began in 1965, Prince Gaynor the Damned and his sidekick, Klosterheim, plot the end of the created universe and try to capture a 12-year-old English girl, Oonagh von Bek, to attain their ends. The Dreamthief's daughter, Oona (who's Oonagh's grandmother); Elric of Melnibonأ©; and others who constantly fight to restore, maintain and sometimes destroy the Cosmic Balance seek to protect the girl and, eventually, another youngster kin to Elric and Oona. Told from the viewpoint of young Oonagh and filtered through her later adult perspective, the adventure starts in Yorkshire then spans the multiverse and several versions of Mirenburg to reach its climax in the Dark Empire of Granbretan. Informative philosophizing by various characters adds to, rather than impedes, the complex and entertaining plot. In lesser hands such intrusions as Una Persson's spiel on Elric's Dream of a Thousand Years probably wouldn't work, but from the ever original, vastly influential Moorcock (The Dreamthief's Daughter), they only enhance a triumph of mature talent and imagination.
              Copyright آ© Reed Business Information, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.

Comment

There's a copy on eBay now; review copy, perhaps?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WDVW

Speaking of reviews, I'm trying very hard not to read'em!!

Comment

That's why I didn't quote the full reviews... The publisher's blurb is probably what is on the cover so not too big a spoiler...

Gr.
                  Ant

Comment

What an incredibly crappy review that was! The original Elric stories were "generic"?! Maybe that might seem mildly the case if one read all of the imitators first, but even then you'd still be faced with one of the most original characters ever created in heroic fantasy. Then he says that the multiverse is a recent addition to Michael's works, when if he truly read the original Elric stories he'd know that the concept crept up quite early in the series. He goes on to spell Von Bek as Van Bek while saying that the last two novels fetaured Elric in the 1,000 year dream when Dreamthief's Daughter certainly did not. Maybe he was just too "confused" by all the background...
                    My Facebook; My Band; My Radio Show; My Flickr Page; Science Fiction Message Board

Comment

Originally posted by Dead-Air
                      He goes on to spell Von Bek as Van Bek while saying that the last two novels fetaured Elric in the 1,000 year dream when Dreamthief's Daughter certainly did not. Maybe he was just too "confused" by all the background...
                      While it really should be "von Bek" (small "v"), now that you mention it ...
                      Google ergo sum

Comment

Originally posted by GuyLawley
                        Hmm. Why's the seller in such a hurry for payment? That would make me a bit suspicious...

Nice cover though, like all the recent Warner Moorcock hardbacks.
                        'You know, I can't keep up with you. If I hadn't met you in person, I quite honestly would NOT believe you really existed. I just COULDN'T. You do so MUCH... if half of what goes into your zines is to be believed, you've read more at the age of 17 than I have at the age of 32 - LOTS more'

Archie Mercer to Mike (Burroughsania letters page, 1957)

Comment

The Publisher's Weekly review is quite better, eh? Makes you want to read it for sure (not that we all didn't obviously...) , especially for the opportunity to read Una theorizing about Elric's dream!
                          My Facebook; My Band; My Radio Show; My Flickr Page; Science Fiction Message Board

Comment

Originally posted by Aral Vilsn
                            Originally posted by GuyLawley
                            Hmm. Why's the seller in such a hurry for payment? That would make me a bit suspicious...

Nice cover though, like all the recent Warner Moorcock hardbacks.
                            I hadn't noticed the seller's sense of urgency. They have a good feedback record.

It's been joined by an uncorrected proof copy... link below. I won't be bidding on any of these myself, BTW. I'm trusting trhat Forbidden Planet (London) will have copies in pretty soon. Anyone know if I'm right?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WDVW

Comment

There is no hard and fast Street Date, so as soon as the distributors receive them, they'll start hitting the stores, which is any day now, at least in America.

The release dates listed at online bookstores for this title are approximations.

My Waldenbooks/Brentano store received copies of REH'sBran Mak Morn last Friday, and the online stores had a release date for this Tuesday, but nothing an "official-we'll-fine-you-if-you-sell-it-before-this" strict street date. White Wolf's Son is the same.

Any day now.

Start camping out at your local book shoppe now (or have them on speed dial).

So looking forward to reading it (and see if Mike used the little suggestion I offered up on the old Q&A board). That would be a dream.

Best,

Jeff

Comment

Working...
                              X