Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Elric meets Conan?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Elric meets Conan?

Where do Elric and Conan meet? Which book(s)?

Not in a book as such, but a comic. Hopefully you'll find the informtaion you seek here:

[broken link]

[Dee struggles to wrap his puny brain around the awesome-ness of the image gallery... 8O ]
    Last edited by Rothgo; 04-24-2010, 05:15 AM.
    "That which does not kill us, makes us stranger." - Trevor Goodchild

Comment

Funny thing is, although it says "Conan and Elric" it really looks more like Conan and Corum, especially here:

[link expired]
      "Wounds are all I'm made of. Did I hear you say that this is victory?"
      --Michael Moorcock, Veteran of the Psychic Wars

Comment

Originally posted by TheAdlerian
        It was a book called My Dinner With Conan. The two fellas sat down in a nice Italian place and talked about the difference between a practical life and one bent toward the arts. That and slaying.
        This might possibly be your most intelligent post to the website yet. Will we have to wait another 1000 posts until we get this quality again? Please say it isn't so! :roll:
        The cat spread its wings and flew high into the air, hovering to keep pace with them as they moved cautiously toward the city. Then, as they climbed over the rubble of what had once been a gateway and began to make their way through piles of weed-grown masonry, the cat flew to the squat building with the yellow dome upon its roof. It flew twice around the dome and then came back to settle on Jhary's shoulder. - The King of the Swords

Comment

Originally posted by PsychicWarVeteran
          Funny thing is, although it says "Conan and Elric" it really looks more like Conan and Corum, especially here:

[expired link]
          That's because artist Barry Smith took his Elric "look" from the cover of the Lancer paperback edition of Stormbringer, as seen here:

[expired link]

without bothering to check if this was how MM actually described his hero in the text.

Writer Roy Thomas had the good grace to apologise later, as you can read here:

[expired link]
          [link expired]
          (in the text below the pic) thanks to Krys.

Note too that Dave Sim's parodic version, Elrod, retains the same "look" (since Sim was parodying the Conan comic rather than Mike's work).

[expired link]

Ain't the Image Gallery grand?
          Last edited by Reinart der Fuchs; 04-21-2010, 11:48 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by DeeCrowSeer
            Not in a book as such, but a comic. Hopefully you'll find the informtaion you seek here:

[expired link]

[Dee struggles to wrap his puny brain around the awesome-ness of the image gallery... 8O ]
            This thread has inspired me to make a new scan of the cover of Giant-Size Conan #5 for the Image Gallery; a bit bigger and brighter than the original one.

[expired link]

I notice the cover colourist here hasn't quite got the albino thing, as is so often the way.

The late great Jack Kirby didn't get to draw Conan very often, and I'm pretty certain this is the only time he ever drew Elric!

Too bad John Romita saw fit to re-draw Conan's face (as is so often the way at Marvel at this time. Boo hiss!).
            Last edited by Reinart der Fuchs; 04-21-2010, 11:50 AM.

Comment

As it happens, that Lancer edition was the first MM book I ever bought (Woolworth's, Llanelli, South Wales, 1s.6d) and I treasure it. I have to say it's informed my mental image of Elric ever since - not literally, but in terms of his otherwordliness - I think many other depictions of Elric tend to make him look like Edgar Winter having got dressed while very, very stoned.

Amusingly, I was first directed to MM and Elric in particular by a passing reference in the letters page of, I think, Marvel's Tales to Astonish, which made a fanboy compare-and-contrast thing between Elric and Bill Everett's Sub-Mariner. It didn't get very far (lessee, both have pointy ears and are rulers of exotic kingdoms... er, that's it), but the description was in all other respects enough to get me thinking. Then this book turned up and hey, you couldn't actually see the guy's ears, but clearly 'twas he.

Comment

I'd completely forgotten about the Elric story that appeared in Conan - I'm sure I've got that in the UK Marvel editions from the 70s somewhere. I used to like Barry Smith's art but he was way off with Elric. I'm not sure that the Lancer cover art was interpreted properly anyway, it looks to me like some sort of a cape with a cowl and maybe a crown. Certainly not a dunce's cap. :roll:

And Zax, I can just about remember when Woolworths used to get loads of US paperbacks in cheap. I've got a copy of Philip K. Dick's Three Stigmata Of Palmer Eldritch published by Macfadden Bartell with a Woolies sticker on...
                'You know, I can't keep up with you. If I hadn't met you in person, I quite honestly would NOT believe you really existed. I just COULDN'T. You do so MUCH... if half of what goes into your zines is to be believed, you've read more at the age of 17 than I have at the age of 32 - LOTS more'

Archie Mercer to Mike (Burroughsania letters page, 1957)

Comment

I was so intrigued by all this that I went climbing into the attic at 11 o clock at night to sort through my old Marvel comics. Lo and behold I found Savage Sword Of Conan #16 (June 21 1975) featuring The Green Empress Of Melnibone, dog-eared and a bit tatty, but still in one piece. I've barely looked at it in the last thirty years and it occurred to me that I probably had no idea who Elric was the last time I did.
                  'You know, I can't keep up with you. If I hadn't met you in person, I quite honestly would NOT believe you really existed. I just COULDN'T. You do so MUCH... if half of what goes into your zines is to be believed, you've read more at the age of 17 than I have at the age of 32 - LOTS more'

Archie Mercer to Mike (Burroughsania letters page, 1957)

Comment

Originally posted by Aral Vilsn
                    And Zax, I can just about remember when Woolworths used to get loads of US paperbacks in cheap. I've got a copy of Philip K. Dick's Three Stigmata Of Palmer Eldritch published by Macfadden Bartell with a Woolies sticker on...
                    My mum used to work in the local Gateway store when I was younger and she brought me home a copy of 'The Stone God Awakens' by Phil Farmer.
                    How these things influenced a generation the marketing men will never know!
                    You see, it's... it's no good, Montag. We've all got to be alike. The only way to be happy is for everyone to be made equal.

-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-

Image Hive :-: Wikiverse :-: Media Hive

:-: Onsite Offerings :-:

"I am an observer of life, a non-participant who takes no sides. I am in the regimented society, but not of it." Moondog, 1964

Comment

Originally posted by GuyLawley
                      ... I notice the cover colourist here hasn't quite got the albino thing, as is so often the way. ...
                      And Stormbringer, the Blue Blade...

Ciao,
                      Ant

Comment

Originally posted by Ant
                        Originally posted by GuyLawley
                        ... I notice the cover colourist here hasn't quite got the albino thing, as is so often the way. ...
                        And Stormbringer, the Blue Blade...

Ciao,
                        Ant
                        Well, Stormbringer is blue inside the comic too (though Elric's skin is white).

Blue stands in for black in the old 4-colour comics a lot.

For example, Superman has had blue hair since 1938 :) ! Conan too has blue hair in these comic stories.

"Go figure," as I believe the colonials say.

Comment

Blue Blade of the Barbary Coast meets Bluebeard the Pirate...
                          I'd hoped Barry could have drawn the Elric sequence in Multiverse since he said he'd always wanted to do a 'proper' Elric, thinking I'd approved the Jack Gaughan version, which I hadn't. I've been very well served by illustrators in the main, from Cawthorn onwards. Ironic that Jim worked with me on that first Conan story but Gaughan's version was used. I still hope to work with Barry on an Elric story. Walter's artwork for No 3, by the way is superb. Frankly I was a little disappointed by Jerry Ordway's
                          Elric and his depiction of the moonbeam roads (as opposed to Walter's) but liked his Seaton Begg a lot.

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in Europe:
                          The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
                          Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in the USA:
                          The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
                          Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

Conan and Elric?
                            My!! Hadn't ever heard of this before. Very interesting... but... what was it about?
                            Sweet moons!

Comment

Conan meets up with a wizard, Zukala, and his lovely daughter Zephra, previously enemies. Now the wizard needs Conan’s help to stop the evil plans of a more powerful magician, Kulan-Gath.

Kulan-Gath seeks the tomb of legendary Terhali, Green Empress of Melnibonأ©, and the mystical power of its inhabitant. The tomb, with the possibly not-quite-dead demon-queen, was magically transported to Conan’s world from the plane of Melnibone, so that Terhali could never again threaten her enemies back home.

Before Zephra and Conan set off for the tomb, Zukala puts a spell on Conan’s sword so it will withstand mystical weapons in the fights to come.

We learn that Zukala is now in the service of Lord Arkyn of Law, and Queen Xiombarg (the Queen Of The Swords from Corum) is also after the mystical might of Terhali’s tomb. Xiombarg sends Prince Gaynor the Damned after Conan and Zephra, with a horde of beastly Chaos warriors.

Meanwhile a certain albino Melnibonأ©an is also crossing the planes to find Terhali’s tomb, and an unknown mystical force (Arkyn?) diverts his path so that he meets up with Conan.

As is always the case in Marvel comics crossovers, the two heroes fight before they realize they are both on the same quest. Conan survives only because his sword has been magicalized and can withstand Stormbringer’s assault. And because he is after all pretty big and butch.

Luckily for you I can’t keep up this sword’n’sorcery plot-summarizing any longer. Suffice to say, as they say, that much mayhem ensues and very entertaining it all is. There are a few fun twists in the tale and even Elric’s silly dunce’s cap can’t spoil this reader’s enjoyment of the tale. Possibly the fact that I was 13 years old when I first read it helps.

Now, about shopping for this story, for anyone who may be thinking of it.

I would advise against buying the reprint in Giant-Size Conan 5. The standard of printing is v poor.

Even the original comics, Conan 14 and 15, and not well printed and will anyway cost you a lot.

There are at least 2 books containing reprints; see this link:

[link expired]

The Essential Conan volume is black and white, cheap paper, but may be quite good quality reprint (they vary). Anyone know how it looks?

The Chronicles of Conan is on good paper, but has been re-coloured from the original and I for one don’t like the colouring job. Can’t remember how sharp the blacks are; anyone own a copy and care to comment?

Comment

Working...
                              X