Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Games Workshop figures

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Games Workshop figures

I came across this which are as the subject lines describe. My question is, what are they for? I'd be happy to have them as ornaments but I'm sure they have another use.
    Can we put the picture in our gallery? There's a copyright notice at the bottom of the page but they're based on characters by Mike, so...

(It worked, mordenkainen, but I fear I'll have to look at your post every time I do it!)
    You see, it's... it's no good, Montag. We've all got to be alike. The only way to be happy is for everyone to be made equal.

-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-

Image Hive :-: Wikiverse :-: Media Hive

:-: Onsite Offerings :-:

"I am an observer of life, a non-participant who takes no sides. I am in the regimented society, but not of it." Moondog, 1964

In fact, there are a whole load of them here.
    Seeing this lot stirs a vague memory of seeing them lined up in a shop window before I had read any MM. :roll:
    You see, it's... it's no good, Montag. We've all got to be alike. The only way to be happy is for everyone to be made equal.

-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-

"I am an observer of life, a non-participant who takes no sides. I am in the regimented society, but not of it." Moondog, 1964

Comment

Re: Games Workshop figures

Originally posted by Governor of Rowe Island
      I came across this which are as the subject lines describe. My question is, what are they for? I'd be happy to have them as ornaments but I'm sure they have another use.
      Well, without wishing to sound patronising, they're for "table top" battle games, presumably. Toy soldiers, in other words. Of course, there probably wasn't a Jerry game, but a gamer could always use him in other sorts of (modern setting) role-playing games, when imagaination isn't enough and everyone really, really has to know where all of the characters are standing. No doubt if I'd read the books early enough I would have been ripping the characters off for RPGs myself. Not sure they'd be much use as ornaments though, because they look a little ugly to my eyes.

Can we put the picture in our gallery? There's a copyright notice at the bottom of the page but they're based on characters by Mike, so...
      It would be funny if they did object. "They were my characters!", "Yes, but we took the photos of the models of those characters!" Hmmm...
      "That which does not kill us, makes us stranger." - Trevor Goodchild

Comment

Some more. Painted this time!
        But what do you do with them?

Comment

I think they're already in a gallery... Ah! The page is [broken link]here, but the links to the pics are broken. (From the text, it seems the links were to exactly those pictures you've just found.)

There were other more generic figures of Melnibonأ©ans, Pan Tangians, etc. And quite nice they were too.

Citadel Miniatures (by then a subsidiary of the evil Games Workshop empire) produced these to tie in with GW's 1987 joint publication of the Chaosium's Stormbringer RPG.

As for what you do with them, see this Wikipedia article.

Gr.,
          Ant
          Last edited by Rothgo; 04-13-2010, 11:59 AM.

Comment

The text above the pics says they're designed for the Stormbringer RPG, and the rules were published in the citadel journal, spring of '86

Comment

uh, ant outposted me.

Comment

But what do you do with them?
                What is "table top" gaming? Two or more boys (invariably) set up a table with fake grass, hedges made from moss and cardboard buildings. They deploy their tiny toy armies, and take turns rolling dice to see how accurate their armies weapons are, how far they travel in a turn and how effective their defences are when attacked. The models represent troops, vehicles and other such things, which will all have corresponding written profiles detailing their "stats" (strengths, weaknesses, special abilities, etc.) They can be painted, or left plain. Really the painting is just for showing off, although Games Workshop also ran painting competitions back in the day.

I was terrible at such games when I played them, hence my slight bitterness. There's only so many weekends you can spend being outflanked by your mate's nine year old brother before you start to doubt your military genius... lucky I was a pacifist really.

Comment

They were really for RPGing, not battlegaming.

That was a time when GW hadn't quite realised how much more white metal they could shift if people were buying armies rather than just a few adventurers and their foes!

Ciao,
                  Ant

Comment

Oh, I'm slowest on the draw once again. That'll teach me...

I'm still bitter about the fact it used to take about an hour to prepare the table and pack it away, but only about ten minutes for me to decisively screw up a battle plan. My pouting was legendary amongst the "troops".

Comment

Gotcha!
                      I never played a RPG or even battlegamed, so that might explain my inability to understand what they were for.
                      I would like the painted ones for ornaments, though. It does improve their appearance somewhat, don't you think, Dee?

Comment

elric

Comment

Originally posted by DeeCrowSeer
                          The models represent troops, vehicles and other such things, which will all have corresponding written profiles detailing their "stats" (strengths, weaknesses, special abilities, etc.)
                          A Fine description of the game perhaps, but not the business model. GW constantly "Updated" their rules to games like W40K and WFB through their monthly publications, so you would quickly find that the elite unit you bought off games workshop last month had been superseeded by whatever bloke with-bits-stuck-to-his-head or woman-with-unpracticaly-large-breasts GW happened to be trying to shift that month.

Under torture I may admit to having some quite early copies of GW's monthly "White Dwarf" magazine, it was funny to see how quickly "you can make an Space marine cruiser out of this egg box" became "buy this new space marine cruiser that looks like someone else made it out of an egg box for only 50 quid"

All the background for the games was knicked from there and everywhere, MM, tolkien, Peru's shining path... need I go on?, Oh, I already have. :roll:
                          \"It got worse. He needed something to cure himself. What? he asked. M-A 19 he answered.\"

Comment

Originally posted by Ant
                            They were really for RPGing, not battlegaming. That was a time when GW hadn't quite realised how much more white metal they could shift if people were buying armies rather than just a few adventurers and their foes!
                            Ah yes... they especially annoyed me by changing all of the rules for their Warhammer 40K game (Space Orks and so forth) about a year in to my playing the games, and suddenly I had to buy a whole new set of models because some of the weapons were "illegal" and I didn't have the right combination of troops to meet the minimum requirements. Sneaky buggers. :x

Originally posted by Guv'nor
                            I would like the painted ones for ornaments, though. It does improve their appearance somewhat, don't you think, Dee?
                            Actually it does. Still, I certainly wouldn't be painting them. I tried with my own models and made such a hash of it my friend (who ran the games) repainted them to meet his own high standards. He really did some excellent work on those little things... shading, ink washes, all of that. I'm still amazed that anyone has the patience for such things. I would have been quite happy just to paint each division a single colour, put numbers on their helmets, and leave it at that.

[Edit: Ooh, out posted again!]

Comment

We knew about those:

[link expired]
                              The cat spread its wings and flew high into the air, hovering to keep pace with them as they moved cautiously toward the city. Then, as they climbed over the rubble of what had once been a gateway and began to make their way through piles of weed-grown masonry, the cat flew to the squat building with the yellow dome upon its roof. It flew twice around the dome and then came back to settle on Jhary's shoulder. - The King of the Swords

Comment

Working...
                              X