Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Question for Mr. Moorcock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question for Mr. Moorcock

How did you know you wanted to write about Elric? Was it just some urge to create something?

Well, I've always wanted to write and started at a very early age. I would come up with the idea for characters from around the age of 9 and by the time I was 16 I was writing the Sojan stories for Tarzan. Elric was 'born' while I toyed with story ideas and his image was set early because I would correspond or talk with Jim Cawthorn, who drew many early pictures long before I did a full length stories. I decided to use him as a character when I was commissioned to write an heroic fantasy story for Science Fantasy magazine. Ted Carnell said he would like to see something like Conan. I had already written half a Conan story for Fantastic Universe, which folded before I could finish it. I showed this to Carnell and he liked it but said he wanted something that was all my own. So I went home and found my old Elric notes. I wrote the first story, The Dreaming City, pretty much overnight and took it into him. He liked it. The readers liked it and asked for more. The rest is history...
    I do tend to have characters in my head long before I find an appropriate story for them. For instance, I recently wrote a short (non-fantasy) story about a journalist and a politician (very different from those in King of the City) and the journalist had been there for quite a while, based on a couple of friends of mine. He's much more likeable, as it happens, than the King of the City character. Hawkmoon came about because I wanted a character who was of German origin, since I was sick and tired of stereotypical German villains in British popular fiction.
    Corum was created because I wanted someone with whom I could riff off Celtic themes. Cornelius came about because I wanted someone who had absorbed the lessons of modernism and existentialism and took all that for granted (he'd probably be called post-modernist, these days) -- ion other words someone more like me. I tend to make characters out of myself, of course, and Elric WAS the 'me' of 1959/60, just as von Bek
    was the 'me' of, say, 1980. Mrs Cornelius and Joseph Kiss are probably the characters I most identify with as being in many ways closer to the ordinary, common-sensical 'me'.

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in Europe:
    The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
    Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in the USA:
    The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
    Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

Wow...

8O Thank you for anwsering my question. I must say you've inspired quite a bit of my roleplay and writings.

I've heard of Conan and Tarzan but I've never been able to find copies of the comics or novels around where I live. It's kind of sad.I'll eventually gain them and read them. ^^

Another question. Will you be explaining a little more on the Dreamthief in your next novel for the Trilogy? If not I think I have to go back and read DreamThief's Daughter again...

Comment

Where in Cali do you live that you can't get hold of Conan books? No local B&N? I'm sure your local bookstore could order them for you, even if they don't have any in stock. And then there's Amazon...

Do look for the new Wandering Star/Del Ray collections (http://www.wanderingplanet.com/). Avoid the non-Howard imitations (see: http://www.rehupa.com/burke_manifesto.htm).

Ciao,
        Ant

Comment

Anahiem

I live in Anaheim Cali and yea We've got a B&N here and they don't even have copies of the Elric Series as it is. They can't even order them. Plus I'm 16 years old, no job and no card to order anything from Amazon. I haven't checked for the Conan Series but I think I'd end up with the same problem.

Comment

Wow! It's always interesting to hear how you started, Mr. M. I must say that everytime I hear of how a writer started, it gives me courage to go on. I don't assume I'll write something great or anything, but I'll keep going anyway.
            Sweet moons!

Comment

Don't blame B&N for what they CAN"T supply. The Elric books are out of print in the US. You can get them via Amazon UK, along with the best of the Conan stories in the Fantasy Masterworks two-volume set. These are Howard's originals. Tarzan, I thought, was available in a Dover edition. You can probably order all this through John Davey, too. You can also get the Elric books (most of them) by joining the SF&Fantasy Book Club. For a while they were offering them as specials.
              Good luck!

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in Europe:
              The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
              Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in the USA:
              The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
              Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

Re:

:) I never did blamed B&N. I'm kinda sad about it but I do plan on gaining all of what I can when I'm older, have an actual job and possibly a card to buy things and wonderful wants, such as the series, online.

-shrugs-

I can keep dreaming. I know my local library has a copy somewhere in it's.....mix. The out of date tip is a nice knowing. o.o

erm....Got to pay anything to this SF&Sci Fi Club??? o.O

Comment

Re: Anahiem

Originally posted by strangelonewolf
                  I live in Anaheim Cali and yea We've got a B&N here and they don't even have copies of the Elric Series as it is. They can't even order them. Plus I'm 16 years old, no job and no card to order anything from Amazon. I haven't checked for the Conan Series but I think I'd end up with the same problem.
                  One word, friend:

L I B R A R Y

Magic for free.
                  Miqque
                  ... just another sailor on the seas of Fate, dogpaddling desperately ...

Comment

Originally posted by strangelonewolf
                    They can't even order them. Plus I'm 16 years old, no job and no card to order anything from Amazon.
                    Bummer. Ask everyone for gift certificates next birthday!

Originally posted by Steeplechaser aka MM
                    the best of the Conan stories in the Fantasy Masterworks two-volume set. These are Howard's originals.
                    My opinion, the WS/DR editions are better... although the third and last volume hasn't been published yet.

I've heard that at least the first printings of the Orion/Gollancz Fantasy Masterworks books had a tremendous number of typographical errors, supposedly corrected in subsequent printings...

The WS/DR editions have been "textually restored" and contain many "extras": early drafts, synopses, etc. ... quite apart from the cool artwork by Mark Schultz (v1) and Gary Gianni (v2). (I don't know who'll be doing v3.)

There's one annoying thing about the DR editions... they use the same Conan logo on the titlepages as WS does on their titlepages and covers... but the use the "official" Conan logo on the cover... the same that's used on the official website (image below), Mongoose Conan RPG, the McFarlane figures, etc. Not that it's a bad logo - I rather like it - but the inconsistency niggles...

It's an impressive marketing strategy, I think, to have that level of consistency in the Conan brand. The logo uses a custom font, apparently called Hyborian (if you peek inside the Mongoose PDFs with a text editor).

Mike - Would you like to see that kind of branding for Elric along with the release of the (first) movie? If so... Would Rodney Matthews by your choice to design the logo and the "Melnibonأ©an" font? Or would you look for something... fresher?

Gr.,
                    Ant

Comment

Re:

:? Even my libary is a pain when it comes to the books...They have like Blood, Dreamtheif's Daughter, and a few others. Any of the Elric series would be ordered in from another library which is a pain to check out all that time. and I'm getting lost in my grammer punctuation skills. <.< anyways... I'll figure a way to get ahold of them and read. I just have to finish the novel I'm reading right now, Phantom of the Opera.

Comment

Library, and patience.
                        Does your local lending library not have an ordering system where they can get titles (both in and out of print) from other libraries? Worth exploring. Read then own is almost as good as own then read.

When I first read your post I wondered if it was Cali, Colombia you were posting from. MM gets to some strange places...

Comment

:lol: Yea I bet he does but then again he is a very good Author. But Nah I've got the insanity of California which I want to escape from...but meh. IT's okay I guess...

My local library seems to have it tough when it comes to buying books for themselves. The next local library has never heard of MM and the next nearest one is in the next city which nethier of my parents want to drive me too just for a book. :?

Comment

You should tell your parents to drive you to the other library. Otherwise, you'll be compulsively collecting MM's books twenty years from now, making up for what you couldn't find and read when you were sixteen. No wait, that's me... :oops: :lol:

Comment

:lol: hahahahahaha! Nah I'll just end up driving my husband up the walls in books. Chances are that'll be when I acn afford them is when I'm married and have a job.

Comment

Working...
                              X