Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Afraid of the Elfs!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Afraid of the Elfs!

I notice that in the Multiverse comics and the recent Elric:The Making of a Sorceror that both Elric and his fellow Melniboneans have lost their almost pointed ears.Some of the elfin Melniboneans look more like overweight middle aged humans.Even Yyrkoon has had a skin head hair cut and his elven ears doctored.My question for Mr Moorcock is: why the toning down of the elfishness of the Melniboneans? Are elves so uncool after the LOTR trilogy of films that you specifically had the poor creatures doctored so as not to get them associated with the Tolkienistas and their ilk?

Big Headed Bolorhiag. :)

Deffo pointy - in the Corum books (iirc), the relationship between Melniboneans, Vadagh (sp?) and Elves is explicitly stated.
    Arma virumque cano.

Comment

Looking at art work and reading the first book I never got the impression that the Melniboneans resembled elves physicaly or mentaly.

Comment

If I Melniboneans had any elvish influence it would have been the Elf King in The Broken Sword, but it's only since the predominance of Tolkien style fantasy that Melniboneans have been called 'elves' or 'elf-like'. Frankly, I don't want them to be considered versions of Tolkien
        creations. They have tapered, but not pointed, ears. See Jim Cawthorn's earliest drawings!

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in Europe:
        The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
        Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in the USA:
        The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
        Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

Slightly off the topic... anyone think Cymoril looks, well, a bit blonde in the comics... I was certain she had black hair... just curious? Maybe she'd been at that hair dye again, I dunno :D

Comment

Erm...I could have sworn that Oona, Elric's Daughter was described as having 'slightly pointed ears' implying that her father's were obviously far more (I hate to say the word) 'elf-like' :? ...maybe I should go back and re-read that part just to make sure...from what you are now saying I imagine Melniboneans should have ears much like Eldar in LOTR, tapered and not too pointy. As the saying goes, "The proof is in the pudding":

PS: Miss Dreamy I too have a bit of a problem with Simonson's portrayal of Cymoril. When I first picked up the GN I was like, "Woah, what's Jane Fonda doin' there?" Despite his otherwise excellent and visually distinctive work...there was some dark elf character he invented for Marvel's Thor run named Malekith that became one of my favorite all-time crazed villains. However despite the fact that he was supposed to have ears like those of his liosalfar 'cousins' (pointed) I never saw ONE picture of him where you could actually see the damn things. Simonson would always draw elves with yards and yards of hair...if you ask me he just hates drawing ears .

Comment

As I've just started reading the books again to refamiliarise myself with the themes and general feel of the cycle (as I said on another thread, I've decided to write my own Elric roleplay for my group, in protest at Chaosium - I'll be damned if I buy their products), I can provide the following quotation from near the beginning of the very first book: Elric of Melnibonأ©:

Elric stretches down to touch her [Cymoril's] fine, fair hair. 'Does Yyrkoon know?'
              So there you go - Cymoril is (at least according to this quotation), fair-haired.

I find this particularly funny as I had, as a kid, always imagined she was blonde. When I bought the Stormbringer roleplaying game, and checked out all the art within, I changed my mental image in line with the pictures.

More fool me.

H.
              Hapimeses.com

Comment

I think the adjective 'fair' is used there to indicate that Cymoril's hair is 'beautiful' Hapimeses, as there is a part when Elric and Cymoril are together and it speaks of their hair blowing in the wind :"His white, hers jet black" it might not be phrased exactly like that (I don't have the book with me), but it does specifically indicate she is raven-tressed, as is her brother. Why would MM favor Aishwarya Rai and Michael Wincott to play those roles? Hmmm? *grin*

Comment

Well, when I get there again, I'll post the exact quotation.

:)

And Yyrkoon is definitely dark-haired; indeed, the book even describes his features as 'dark' - but, I suppose, you could apply the same logic you used above with 'fair' here.

:D

H.
                  Hapimeses.com

Comment

Aha! I knew it :D ...*opens and thumbs through 'The Elric Saga, Part 1: Elric Of Melnibone'* Page 9, paragraph 3:

"Down on the mosaic floor of the court Prince Yyrkoon can be seen in all his finest silks and furs, his jewels and brocades, dancing with a hundred women, all of whom are rumored to have been mistresses of his at one time or another. His dark features, at once handsome and saturnine, are framed by long black hair, waved and oiled, and his expression as ever, is sardonic while his bearing is arrogant."

From the last paragraph on page 20 through the first paragraph of page 21:

"Seabirds wheeled in the clear sky and their cries were distant, serving only to emphasise the sense of peace which both Elric and Cymoril now had. In silence the lovers tethered the steeds and began to walk across the sand, their hair-his white, hers jet black-waving in the wind which blew from the east."

Comment

Hmm... well, if Simonson hates drawing ears, then why did he portray Yyrkoon as being bald as a coot! :lol:

I do have a bit of a problem with Cymoril, yes - in my imagination she a little less 'busting out all over' and covers herself up a bit more - doesn't she catch her death in those outfits :lol: Everything else is stunning, however - I love his portrayal of Elric. It's a shame about her, that's all, and the lack of hair on Yyrkoon... maybe he got a bit tired of drawing hair, as there's some pretty amazing hairstyles in the comic, that's for sure!! But not all of our individual imagings can be satisfied, eh? :D Imagine what it's going to be like when the film comes out... 8O

It'll be interesting to see what MM says... over to you Mike??

Comment

Hence my winking smilie :lol:, because it truly does not make sense for him to do so. Simonson made Yyrkoon look like Imhotep from 'The Mummy', I suppose this was done in order to make him as different from his Pantene loving cousin Elric as possible? If he would have drawn Cymoril more like Ankhesenamun from the same movie and less like Barbarella I wouldn't whine about it. The outfit I designed for Cymoril is a bit revealing, but not terribly so like Simonson's version...who looks like a blonde Lorelie from his Thor run...again. He does hate drawing 'pointy' ears apparently...also what's up with human-looking Melniboneans? Aren't they supposed to look a bit *different* from standard issue Homo Sapiens...Sapiens? The two peoples can interbreed so they must belong to a different subspecies, but they are still clearly not the same *twitch*...

Comment

@Athenys:

Originally posted by Athenys
                          From the last paragraph on page 20 through the first paragraph of page 21:

"Seabirds wheeled in the clear sky and their cries were distant, serving only to emphasise the sense of peace which both Elric and Cymoril now had. In silence the lovers tethered the steeds and began to walk across the sand, their hair-his white, hers jet black-waving in the wind which blew from the east."
                          Bah and bah!

I was just about to post that very quotation. I was at a diabetes clinic with the book when I read the above, and just got home 10mins ago.

:D

Well, glad that's easily sorted, and glad my childhood imaginings were just rubbish.

;)

H.
                          Hapimeses.com

Comment

Athenys wrote:

Simonson made Yyrkoon look like Imhotep from 'The Mummy'
                            That's it! I knew I'd seen him somewhere else before! :lol: He also reminds me somewhat of Yul Brener... Maybe I'm on my own here... I'm thinking 'The King and I'... :oops:

Comment

I bet the plastic surgeons would love it if you stuck to pointed ears. If they became en vogue just imagine the ads:
                              "Dr. Cleancut offers:
                              Your pointed Melnibonean Ears for only ₤ 199,95 ----
                              Special Weekend Rebate!"
                              Google ergo sum

Comment

Working...
                              X