Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Why is it important to read Revenge of the Rose before Bane?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why is it important to read Revenge of the Rose before Bane?

At least thats the order stated on the reading list. Why so ?

Cause its chronologically before that one?
    Batman: It's a low neighborhood, full of rumpots. They're used to curious sights, which they attribute to alcoholic delusions.

Robin: Gosh, drink is sure a filthy thing, isn't it? I'd rather be dead than unable to trust my own eyes!

Comment

You don't really have to- Rose was written ages after Bane. But the beginning of Rose makes it obvious that the events contained therein occur between The Vanshing Tower and Bane of the Black Sword. Just like Fortress of the Pearl was written long after Sailor on the Seas of Fate, but it comes before that story in Elric's chronology.

Comment

There isn't any particular order you HAVE to read the books in, because I didn't write them in chronological order. They've been published in chronological order most recently, but you wouldn't have read them like that when they were originally appearing. It's best to begin with Elric of Melnibone (or even the current comic, which predates Elric of Melnibone)
        and end with Stormbringer, but what you do in between is entirely a matter of taste or circumstance.

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in Europe:
        The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
        Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in the USA:
        The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
        Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

When I first started to read the EC saga they'd all already been written and were on my dad's bookcase- maybe a year before the release of Dreamthief's Daughter. (Hadn't found this site yet).

Considering the sheer volume of books present there I decided to find out which order to read them in- figured with all those books there must be some preferred order...

The inside covers tell which order the books come in each case, chronologically, but I wanted to know whether there was an order to the serieses themselves- I knew there were crossovers and such. Do I read Elric, then Hawkmoon, then Corum, then Erekose? Or do I do it this way? Or this way? Hmmm... Where does the End of Time stuff fit in? Oh, and there's Jerry too! And...

Decided to have me a quick looksee on the net, found the old Nomads site and a few others, and spotted a few bibliographies, then sat there for the better part of a day referencing what I had against what these lists said had been published, spotting which were under alternate titles, and which I had in omnibus versions and so forth, all the way down to short story/novellas contained within other books.

(I have this thing where if I'm reading a series I need to have all the books in the series before I start- don't want to get half way through and find the author died or quit or something, so I needed to know what I was missing first- turned out I wasn't missing anything (thanks dad!) The downside to this is if I have all these books I then have to read them all so as not to have wasted the money- it's ok if I like them, but this mentality had me read through all of David Eddings' then-released works- just prior to The Elder Gods (?)- even though his style turned me off half way through the Belgariad, and making my was through the rest of that, plus Malloreon, Elenium, and Tamuli was the most frustrating thing I'd ever done to that point! Hard Work! But, I digress...)

Eventually just sat down and started reading- Elric first, naturally- and then spun a Cube of Chaos (a die) to see which of the main serieses I'd read next.

I went straight from Elric of Melnibonأ© chronologically through to Stormbringer, then onto Tales of the White Wolf. Looking back on Elric alone I'd have preferred to have read the 'main' Elric books, then Pearl and Rose after Stormbringer, then Tales and so forth, if for no other reason than to keep the main story thread whole.

Continuing that reflection to include all Mr M's stuff, I'd have probably preferred to read all his books in published order, to have the same expreience of the Multiverse and it's many crossover threads revealing themselves as Mr M wrote them as all the older (should I say more experienced? :D ) readers had back in the day.

Comment

The reason I put the omnibus series together with John Davey was exactly in order, initially, to give readers an idea of where and when to start the EC series. They were slightly different in the UK and US, as it happened, for logistic reasons and the fact that the Michael Kane books weren't then available to include in the UK series. I would now prefer it if the books just went back to their ordinary individual volumes and personally have a soft spot for the old DAW editions (themselves often reprints) from the 70s. Those even had interior illustrations in many cases. If I had the choice, I'd reissue them all with the old yellow backs of the DAW editions, even if they hadn't originally been done by DAW.
            That isn't to say that I didn't prefer, in many cases, the Berkley (later Ace) editions, which were all of a piece, with covers by Robert Gould, but I now feel rather sentimental about the DAWs, maybe because they are more strongly associated with pulp traditions, as indeed was Don Wollheim for many years, an editor with whom I had the odd philosophical disagreement but with whom I always enjoyed working.
            My own affection is still for the American pulps rather than English 'high fantasy', just as I tended to prefer American fantasy writers, from Cabell to Howard and Anderson, as a boy. There's a hint of snobbery about the Tolkienoids which Tolkien himself would have hated, having read and enjoyed a great deal of American sf and fantasy, as did Lewis.

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in Europe:
            The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
            Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in the USA:
            The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
            Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

I love those old yellow DAW editions as well. A used book store near my house used to have several. I have a few of them now, even though they are repeats of stories I already owned.

Bu for my money, I like the silver and the bronze Gould covers the best. I wish the entire series of EC books could be reissued like that.

Comment

Working...
              X