Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Elric's Helmet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Elric's Helmet

Hey fist time poster here!

Anyway I am trying to figure how Elric's Helmet looks. I have seen many different versions of it in the image gallery. The reason why I bring this up is I was reading the first book and it said that when he was fighting against the Memory Mirror, he pulled his helmet down to cover his eyes. In some of the drawings his helmet does not look like it could do that. So what I am saying is: is there an artist that captures Elric's helmet the best?

Why yes! Its the artist that dwells in your imagination!!

Comment

Well read Moorcock readers enjoy the variations you will encounter. You definitely need to get to the comic shop and pick up Elric The Making of a Sorcerer. Episode I is rock steady.
      The cat spread its wings and flew high into the air, hovering to keep pace with them as they moved cautiously toward the city. Then, as they climbed over the rubble of what had once been a gateway and began to make their way through piles of weed-grown masonry, the cat flew to the squat building with the yellow dome upon its roof. It flew twice around the dome and then came back to settle on Jhary's shoulder. - The King of the Swords

Comment

Re: Elric's Helmet

Originally posted by nightrider
        I am trying to figure how Elric's Helmet looks.
        Like anyone else's I expect, but a whiter shade of purple!

(Fnarf, fnarf.....) :lol:
        \"...an ape reft of his tail, and grown rusty at climbing, who yet feels himself to be a symbol and the frail representative of Omnipotence in a place that is not home.\" James Branch Cabell

Comment

Re: Elric's Helmet

Originally posted by nightrider
          Hey fist time poster here!

Anyway I am trying to figure how Elric's Helmet looks. I have seen many different versions of it in the image gallery. The reason why I bring this up is I was reading the first book and it said that when he was fighting against the Memory Mirror, he pulled his helmet down to cover his eyes. In some of the drawings his helmet does not look like it could do that. So what I am saying is: is there an artist that captures Elric's helmet the best?
          IIRC, the Melnibonean helmets in that story were modified to allow for
          the eyes to be shielded.

I've always liked my own interpretation (which I have yet fully realized on
          paper or in sculpture).

The "cup" is a dragons body, with the head/mouth over Elric's face.
          The wings are flared up as if about to take flight, kind of arched towards
          the back of the wearer's head as if the wings were about to flap down
          at any second. The wings also hinge somehow, so that they fold down
          over the wearer's cheeks/sides of head during combat. The tail of the
          dragon comes down a little to help protect the nape of the neck. The top
          of the helm would be the spine of the dragon, so there would be some
          spikes/ridges, which continue down to the tail.

Maybe I need to get this drawn or start sculpting a 90mm statuette ...

Ian
          Diplomacy: The ability to tell someone to
          go to hell so that they will look forward to
          making the trip.

Comment

Apologies for my dismal sense of humour, by the way. I was culturally weaned on a diet of "Carry On" films (still love 'em) and moved on to Viz Comics. There was no hope for me, really.
            \"...an ape reft of his tail, and grown rusty at climbing, who yet feels himself to be a symbol and the frail representative of Omnipotence in a place that is not home.\" James Branch Cabell

Comment

Originally posted by Mikey_C
              Apologies for my dismal sense of humour, by the way. I was culturally weaned on a diet of "Carry On" films (still love 'em) and moved on to Viz Comics. There was no hope for me, really.
              See they're dropping the Fat Slags from Viz, apparently the movie was so abysmally bad they don't want to do them any more. :(
              Arioch, aid me! Blood and souls for Arioch!

Comment

Working...
              X