Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

You guys noticed how "RPG" like Elric is?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MalcolmSheppard
    2) As for originality . . . meh. D&D has evolved into its own thing over time. Elric stories do have missions and such, but they aren't group centered. I've spoken with MM about how the group orientation of RPGs makes them a bit wierd to port EC stuff into (everybody would want to be the champion!). The assumed D&D setting is also much more of a Fantasy Europe than a Hyboria or Barsoom, though some new material (such as Eberron, the new campaign hardback) is changing this.
    Well, an idea my RPG group came up with:

Say you have 4 players. One could be an incarnation of the Eternal Champion,
    the other 3 his/her companions. But, to not ruin the fun for all, have
    4 parallel scenarios, where the player controlling the aspect of the EC
    rotates (as a different incarnation). The scenarios can all be linked,
    but not directly so there is no foreknowledge. Then, the climax would
    be all 4 aspects of the EC joining for the final battle.

That would work and have the right feel, no?

Ian
    Diplomacy: The ability to tell someone to
    go to hell so that they will look forward to
    making the trip.

Comment

championic scenarios.

Originally posted by Ian
      Originally posted by MalcolmSheppard
      2) As for originality . . . meh. D&D has evolved into its own thing over time. Elric stories do have missions and such, but they aren't group centered. I've spoken with MM about how the group orientation of RPGs makes them a bit wierd to port EC stuff into (everybody would want to be the champion!). The assumed D&D setting is also much more of a Fantasy Europe than a Hyboria or Barsoom, though some new material (such as Eberron, the new campaign hardback) is changing this.
      Well, an idea my RPG group came up with:

Say you have 4 players. One could be an incarnation of the Eternal Champion,
      the other 3 his/her companions. But, to not ruin the fun for all, have
      4 parallel scenarios, where the player controlling the aspect of the EC
      rotates (as a different incarnation). The scenarios can all be linked,
      but not directly so there is no foreknowledge. Then, the climax would
      be all 4 aspects of the EC joining for the final battle.

That would work and have the right feel, no?

Ian

Moorcock's more recent work shows that all the folk of the multiverse have avatars in the various different levels of existence ('War Among The Angels').Scenariowise I looked at what happens in 'The Dreamthief's daughter' as a way of players being able to fuse with their avatars on different planes.I have used the parallel scenarios idea myself to show my players how the Multiverse idea functions and it has produced a lot of enjoyable roleplaying for my group.

OI

Comment

You guys noticed how "RPG" like Elric is?

Yay! My first post.

I just dropped in to make a couple of quick points:

Steve Jackson of Fighting Fantasy fame is a different Steve Jackson to the one who runs Steve Jackson games and created GURPS.

Speaking of "Who ripped off who"

1) Fritz Leiber's "Fafhrd and the Grey Mouser " books share some occasional and unusual similarities with the EC stuff. In more than one of the stories, Farhd and the Mouser are translated into another world, with some of the same memories, but with radically different backgrounds, and encounter evidence that they themselves were present in the same location, doing pretty much the same deeds."

By the way, F&TGM, with their emphasis on looting, drinking, wenching and betraying each other (but only a little bit) to my mind most closely represent how my RPG groups have behaved over the years...and the anecdotal evidence I've gathered suggest others feel the same.

2) Pratchett's early books rip off Leiber to a huge extent.

3) Unseen University is arguably stolen from Tom Sharpe's Porterhouse Blue and Grantchester Grind novels. And you can go and read them, noting his descriptions of the Bursar and the Senior Wrangler, if you don't believe me!

Hugs

Jeremiah

Comment

Steve Jackson of Fighting Fantasy fame is a different Steve Jackson to the one who runs Steve Jackson games and created GURPS.
          You know what? You're right. I knew that, but I'd clear forgotten it until you mentioned. Hmm... Stems from the days of Fighting Fantasy where TWO DIFFERENT STEVE JACKSONS wrote the books. The 'main' one went off and founded Games Workshop, while the 'other' one did GURPS.

Mr Jeremiah, sir, thank you so much for jogging my memory on that. It might not seem like much, but I do like to be complete on things.

How could I have forgotten that??? (Apart from it being some several years since picking up a FF book, other than to move them from one dusty box to another up in the attic- yes, I still have the originals, well, some of them, the one's that didn't get mashed to bits in my childhood schoolbag or had coke spilled on them, or were 'borrowed' by friends and never returned... Ahem. I digress.)

Ta. :D

Comment

Working...
          X