Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Regarding STORMBRINGER!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What I would like to see is more on Stormbringer as a character.

At the end of 'Stormbringer' the blade itself takes on another form (which in my mind's eye is a woman) :lol: and mocks Elric's lifeless form. We are also told many times that both Stormbringer and Mournblade are sentient creatures with personalities and desires of their own.

It would be cool if perhaps we could see the world through Stormbringer's "eyes".

Comment

Possible SPoiler
      Aren't Stormbringer and Mournblade aspects of the same entity? At least that was one of the implications of the end of the Hawkmoon Saga.

Comment

Nice idea. Maybe I can do it as a graphic novel sometime.
        The Mournblade and Stormbringer who appear in The White Wolfآ´s Son
        donآ´t appear as characters. I felt it might weaken the overall impact of the final novel (Stormbringer) if I made the swords have too much personality of their own. Maybe when things have had time to settle down a bit... :)

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in Europe:
        The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
        Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in the USA:
        The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
        Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

Thank you Mr. M!!!

I've always been fascinated with the blades themselves. The last scene in 'Stormbringer' was quite chilling and made me think differently when I reread the series.

Comment

Chilling, ummm. I wouldn't have said chilling so much as enlightening, finally we understan precisely what Stormbringer is. As it is a sentient being, and actually personified in the final paragraph, is Stormbringert he ultimate manifestation of Chaos. It can banish Chaos, it can banish Law and kills whimsically. However, it is purposeful, always seeking to slay and feed itself, rather than just alter the world or dominate it, as Chaos is usually wont to do. So, could Stormbringer be the most powerful Chaotic Force in the Multiverse? Alongside its brethren, of which there are thousands, so, they're virtually invincible.

Or am I just reading too deeply into it?

Comment

Alongside its brethren, of which there are thousands, so, they're virtually invincible.
              On that point. . . I’ve a reckoning that Stormbringer and the ‘brethren’ are one and the same entity. Initially, I thought that the Black Sword in all its incarnations was actually an echo of some original and whole manifestation, but upon further reflection, it occurs that (As in the ‘dream within a dream’ scenarios: Sword within a sword within a dream within a sword within a dream within a sword within a sword.) they are all echoes of each other, and none of them are whole, even as the EC itself is never entirely whole. Hence, a gathering of the ‘brethren’ as happens in Stormbringer can be seen neither as ‘coming together of a whole divided’ or as ‘many different entities’ but as a collection of slightly different echoes, which if amalgamated, would not make an even whole, but which are not complete unto themselves. Also, I think the incarnations tend to adapt their shape according to what plane of reality (or dream) they are in, hence there are more similarities between the two Black Swords than between Stormbringer and Cornelius’ needle-gun, and Stormbringer seems to lose or gain power depending where it is in the Multiverse. I’ve often wondered if the Iron Orchid is an incarnation of the Black Sword. . . the trick that she pulled at that party with splitting herself made me quite suspicious.

Comment

And you have every reason to be suspicious, given that Lord Jagged and a certain Lord Arioch are also apparently related...
                Oh, no! Now my headآ´s started to hurt again.
                :)

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in Europe:
                The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
                Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in the USA:
                The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
                Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

Was that a yes? Awww . . . Poor Mr M. . . :(

Comment

True. "Alas poor Elric I was a thousand times more evil than you" has stuck with me for years.
                    Originally posted by Straasha
                    Thank you Mr. M!!!

I've always been fascinated with the blades themselves. The last scene in 'Stormbringer' was quite chilling and made me think differently when I reread the series.

Comment

It seems that Stormbringer is actually the most evil out of all the other incarnations.
                      Von Bek's sword Ravenclaw doesn't seem nearly as evil as Stormbringer. Then again there is the different plane of existence in which the power of the sword waxes and wanes.

There was one Eternal Champion novel I read, it was one of the first Moorcock novels I read, but there was some talk about Mournblade and a reference to 'the other one' and how the main character felt absolute dread at the thought of the other Runeblade. I don't remember the name of the novel only that the Ursine Princes played a big part.

Anyways, Stormbringer seems to be 'The Big Bad' of the Runeswords.

I'm glad you share my sentiment Kitsune, I often come back to that quote when I read anything dealing with Elric and the blade.

I wonder what the swords will sound like when there is a movie adaptation made.

Comment

Originally posted by Straasha
                        Von Bek's sword Ravenclaw doesn't seem nearly as evil as Stormbringer.....
                        ...and as for Von Bek's other sword, the unfortunately-named Hufflepuff....well...that one he just never took out of the armory. :lol:

Comment

Originally posted by Poetgrrl
                          as much as i love Mr. Moorcock's works, this is my biggest gripe. i really hate sad endings. i hate it when our heroes die. scratch that: I REALLY HATE IT WHEN OUR HEROES DIE! (but he never listens to me.) seriously though, he fills the hero void for me with Corum and Hawkmoon and Jhary and so forth, so i'm not completely empty.
                          Since when is Elric a hero? Isn't he billed as somewhat of an anti-hero?

~Clangador
                          \"The word liberal, like liberty, derives
                          from the Latin liber (\"free\").\"

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Moorcock
                            And you have every reason to be suspicious, given that Lord Jagged and a certain Lord Arioch are also apparently related...
                            Oh, no! Now my headآ´s started to hurt again.
                            :)
                            Interesting. I'm just now reading The Dancers at the End of Time right now. I read somewhere that Jagged might be Arioch, but I don't recall where. Very interesting indeed. Elric of Melnibone was one of the first novels I ever read, and the second fantasy novel I was exposed to after The Hobbit. So, I've been reading eternal champion stuff for 25-30 years now. I didn't start reading early. I was in high school before I really began to read for pleasure. (And, in high school, I got teased about reading Moorcock all the time. Like someone's last name has any bearing on anything.) Now I have all these Michael Moorcock books all over the place. On my bookshelf, in boxes, and at my mom's place. I must say, I'm just now getting into some of the more subtle nuances of the stories. I’m finding the Jherek Carnelian to be one of the most interesting incarnations of the eternal champion. Good stuff indeed.

Oh, and as a side note. Arthur C. Clarke is my favorite hard scifi author. Michael. Moorcock is my favorite fantasy/literature author. I read somewhere here that hard scifi fans were unlikely to like your work, but you have at least one of us.

~Clangador
                            \"The word liberal, like liberty, derives
                            from the Latin liber (\"free\").\"

Comment

Count me in as another hard-SF lover who also loves MM's works. (And most of the better fantasy out there, as my nickname might imply.) Larry Niven, M. Moorcock, Tad Williams, A.C. Clarke, Storm Constantine, James P. Hogan.... I've found that, where possible, I try to alternate reading SF and fantasy books; keeps the mind fresh...with the occasional out-of-genre work thrown in for spice. :D

Comment

Originally posted by Lurue-Blackheart
                                yeah there is a whole other series of elric that is recently being released. the dream theifs daughter, the skrayling tree and the white wolfs son. and the white wolfs son is the last EC novel :(
                                O.o
                                Really??? That's too bad for me!! I mean, now I'll be dying until I can get a copy of each one (or borrow it, at least) and read it!
                                Sweet moons!

Comment

Working...
                                X