Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

elric

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• elric

Hi there. Just walkin around and found this site. Wow. This is a book I read like decades ago.. Never really thought much of it exept it helped me learn about Norse mythology and I aligned myself to it when I played D&D. Anyhoo... glad to see geekdom is alive and well. Carry the torch with pride.

Hmm, I read Elric, and I used to play D&D...

IS HE CALLING ME A GEEK??? Why you dirty...

Never really thought much of it
    Cool, come to the author's website and dis him!!! lol Nice one.

Comment

Originally posted by TheEighthSon
      Hmm, I read Elric, and I used to play D&D...

IS HE CALLING ME A GEEK??? Why you dirty...
      Me too! I guess we're all geeks on this board! "Smile when you say that, pard . . . :D "

I don't recall much about Norse mythology in Elric, though . . .
      Madness is always the best armor against Reality

Comment

It's THINKERS! Not geeks....

Comment

Originally posted by Theocrat
          It's THINKERS! Not geeks....
          O.K., I'll take the promotion, but only if the pay raise is good!
          Madness is always the best armor against Reality

Comment

Isn't a geek a performer who bites the heads of of small animals. Technically Ozzy Osborne is a geek.

Comment

Well since everybody here is a computer user, the current application of "geek" is pretty hard to escape. The higher the post count, the bigger the geek...

As for Norse mythology in Elric, I think what we have here is a first edition Deities and Demigods reader who got his sections a little mixed up (same artist for both and all...) I wonder how many of us actually first heard of Elric in that context. I did.
              My Facebook; My Band; My Radio Show; My Flickr Page; Science Fiction Message Board

Comment

Originally posted by Dead-Air
                Well since everybody here is a computer user, the current application of "geek" is pretty hard to escape. The higher the post count, the bigger the geek...
                According to my dictionary:

geek n informal boring, unattractive person

Which seems a little harsh really... I'm not saying that doesn't apply to me, I'm just saying it's a very harsh judgement. It completely fails to mention what a great dancer I am.

I think these days, when people say "geek" or "nerd", they tend to mean someone with a solitary and obsessive interest in something, and sadly sci-fi or fantasy fans tend to get the worst of it. Personally I believe that knowing the name and stats of every player on a football team is just as obsessive as knowing the names and stats of every character in the Elric saga, but Sport is a "cooler" subject to be a geek about so they get called "enthusiasts" instead. Not that I'm trying to reinforce the classic Jocks v Nerds dichotomy, as I know many of the posters to this list could kick serious behind in the martial arts arena.

Of course there are many people who would consider themselves "cool" who wet their pants over the LotR films, while I (a man who has been mocked in the street an a nerd and a "trainspotter") couldn't care less about them... or Harry Potter... or The Matrix... are these people "neo-geeks"? Or are we all just geeks under the skin?

Brothers and sister, let's all join together and place our hands on the monitor and swear our allegiance to trivial pursuits (not the board game, obviously... although if you're into that, I'm not judging you).

D...
                "That which does not kill us, makes us stranger." - Trevor Goodchild

Comment

Originally posted by DeeCrowSeer
                  Personally I believe that knowing the name and stats of every player on a football team is just as obsessive as knowing the names and stats of every character in the Elric saga
                  Too bloody right! The number of times I've been pigeon-holed by some bore who assumes that I know all the tedious ins and outs of "Pompey" Football Club just because I'm unfortunate enough to live there, and then edges away as though he's inadvertently hooked up with a deviant when it becomes apparent that I care about football even less than I know about it!

Don't get me wrong - I've got friends who are enormous football fans, and that's great - but why assume that everyone else is into it and then slag them off if they're enthusiastic about something different?

Is this just a bloke thing? There seems to be more and more women into football, but perhaps they're more sensible about it!
                  \"...an ape reft of his tail, and grown rusty at climbing, who yet feels himself to be a symbol and the frail representative of Omnipotence in a place that is not home.\" James Branch Cabell

Comment

Originally posted by Mikey_C
                    I care about football even less than I know about it!
                    If geekiness is defined by spending more time at a computer than watching sports on the tube, I'll be the first to plead guilty to the charge. Maybe we should adopt a Black Panther sort of strategy towards such rhetorics: "Yes, we're geeks, and fiercely proud of it!"
                    "If the environment were a bank, we would already have saved it." -Graffitti.

Comment

Hi all,
                      guess what, I still don't have a clue what "geeks" are. Always sounded like kiddy-language to me, or like Greeks throwing unnecessary weight over board, or whatever.
                      So now, what are they? Are they contagious?

Comment

Originally posted by Anonymous
                        Hi all,
                        guess what, I still don't have a clue what "geeks" are. Always sounded like kiddy-language to me, or like Greeks throwing unnecessary weight over board, or whatever.
                        So now, what are they? Are they contagious?
                        Sorry, that was me asking, forgot to log in after killing several hundred cookies on my office pc.
                        Yours truly etc
                        Google ergo sum

Comment

I was listening to a local radio station the other day on my drive home from work, and the DJ was talking about how people who collect comics, read fantasy, play D & D etc., are losers. It got me thinking. I do all of the above with the exception of play D & D. I dont consider myself a loser. I do however consider myself a geek, but in a good way. Id rather be labeled a geek than be categorized with one of the millions of GAP and Abercrombie and fitch kids that are slowly but surely taking over this portion of the multiverse. I mean, if thats your thing then cool, im not gonna hate you for it. I wear what I like, read what I like, Collect what i like, and Watch what i like. And if that labels me as a social outcast, then so be it. I have a wonderful Wife and dog who lovingly tolerate my geeky ways, and friends who may not be interested in ALL the same things as me, but still prove time and again what being a real friend is all about. So screw you Radio DJ guy, and long live the Geeks! :twisted:

(Thanks for tolerating my Ranting...) :lol:

Comment

Originally posted by Anonymous
                            I still don't have a clue what "geeks" are
                            Kitsune's right - a geek was originally a freak show performer who would bite the heads off chickens and any other revolting objects that the audience would care to throw at him. Exactly how this came to apply to lovers of fantasy, D&D and computers is beyond me. I suppose it just refers to a despised person - but why this in particular? Perhaps because such individuals are believed by their tormenters to have low social skills. (Well, otherwise we'd be out and about talking about football, wouldn't we!)
                            \"...an ape reft of his tail, and grown rusty at climbing, who yet feels himself to be a symbol and the frail representative of Omnipotence in a place that is not home.\" James Branch Cabell

Comment

Next week, we'll expain what "Dork" means. :lol:

Comment

Working...
                              X