Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Blogspot: 18th c Elves of Melniboné

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blogspot: 18th c Elves of Melniboné

Melnibonéan Elves in the 18th century

I began this blog in December of 2008 to bring cohesion to my growing Prussian and French SYW armies. The direction also served to give new life to existing collection such as my Africans and Asians. Fantasy had also been set with the creation of the archipelago Amerigo. The maps gave the archipelago a location, but who inhabited the islands, the geography and wildlife would have to wait as we then focused our attention on the European armies and campaigns.

Periodically, I would find some kernel of an idea, an image or a figure on the Internet and add this to a growing file of links and documents. Over the past year, the ideas were taking shape as I knew I wanted the rulers of the archipelago (Atlantis) to be a cross between High Elves and Dark Elves, sorcery would be present but not dominant, weaponry and clothing would have an 18th century influence, but the technology would be slightly ahead of the other races. Some of these possibilities were discussed at the TMP forum.

Just last month I began reading again the Michael Moorcock classic series - Elric of Melniboné. After finishing the third book, I began to shift gears and actually ordered figures, sketching uniforms, flags and buildings. The Melnibonéan army was marching.

Evil, proud and arrogant race, very militaristic and one that still made use of sorcery. Within the six book series by Moorcock, I encountered the Pan Tang; an Island nation, much like Elric’s and are described in some detail as to colour, armour and use of sorcerers and in addition used in the field, Saber-toothed Tigers. My model army was taking shape.
    Read more...

We know, we know; Melnibonéans *aren't* elves but we won't tell Mike if you don't. Still, sounds like an interesting project.
    Last edited by David Mosley; 07-30-2010, 09:54 AM.

It is a great shame that no wargames company produces an official range of Moorcock fantasy miniatures. Maybe if the Elric movie ever gets made that would spark a little interest...

Comment

Mike has recently mentioned that he's (due to be) signing a contract with a company to make a range of Elric (EC?) miniatures. [See here.]
      _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
      _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
      _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
      _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

Eureka have already done an excellent Jerry and Catherine Cornelius and plan to do other Cornelius figures as well as Hawkmoon/Dark Empire figures.
        The contracts were recently signed with Eureka, an Australian based company. Other figures are likely to appear later.

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in Europe:
        The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
        Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in the USA:
        The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
        Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

Interresting.
          Papi

Comment

Here's a thread at The Miniatures Page, where Nic Robson of Eureka talks a bit about their plans for the Moorcock miniatures range, with emphasis on Hawkmoon. (Note it dates from April/May before the deal was signed.)

Eureka's site is here (although it doesn't have any news about the range yet).
            _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
            _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
            _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
            _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

Well this is good news indeed Eureka are suggesting that they will make 28mm and 10mm scale figures. I, for one, will look forward to collecting and painting this range

Comment

Citadel Miniatures ( pre-Games Workshop ) produced a line of Elric Figures in addition to an Eternal Champions set. My favorite was the Pan Tangians with trained tigers. They were 28mm so the tigers were quite large. The Jerry Cornelius figure was also a standout, as he had the requisite sixties lounge outfit on ( think Austin Powers ).

I've seen a few of them for sale on Ebay.

http://www.collecting-citadel-miniat...ernal_Champion
                Last edited by therazorsedge555; 08-11-2012, 10:06 AM.

Comment

When lead was lead...

Comment

Working...
                  X