Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Dark Horse Elric graphic novel *cancelled*

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dark Horse Elric graphic novel *cancelled*

I may have missed it, but I've not seen this mentioned here:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/1...pf_rd_i=468294

I'm assuming it's a reprint. Does anybody have any more information?

It's the old 70s Roy Thomas/P. Craig Russell adaptation of 'Elric of Melnibone.'

Comment

If it's happening nobody told me! Negotiations were begun years ago via Mike Friedrich but then appeared to collapse. My contact at Dark Horse also went away, so I assumed the reprint had, too. If anyone out there can clarify, I'd be grateful!!

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in Europe:
      The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
      Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in the USA:
      The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
      Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

We're seeing lots of Internet links to pre-order the Thomas/Russell Elric GN reprint in our RSS feeds (the same ones Sir John BB uses these days) Mike, so it certainly looks like it's happening. There's probably a Dark Horse contact address that we could get you if you need to follow this up.
        _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
        _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
        _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
        _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

"Elric of the Emerald Isle"? I've seen no references to Elric supping stout or wearing a shamrock emblazoned on his armour??

Comment

Thanks, David. I was in the middle of negotiations with another company in the belief that the deal had fallen through several years ago. Not a single person has responded to my queries and I'd had no notification. This was originally tied into other work I'd been doing with DH and which also seemed to fall through since I had no response whatsoever from anyone there. I'd also done them a long Conan outline, negotiations for which suddenly were dropped. This is pretty frustrating and mystifying, but since spin-offs (of Elric or Conan) aren't exactly my main work, I stopped trying to get a response after a while. This hasn't just wasted my time but the time of several other people.

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in Europe:
            The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
            Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in the USA:
            The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
            Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

I seem to recall reading that the Dark Horse reprint is going to include the 'One Life' adaptation by Neil Gaiman as well as the Thomas/Russell EoM adaptation. (Certainly Gaiman is being listed as an 'Author' on the Amazon listing but perhaps he's only providing a foreword or something?)

DH have a 'Contact Us' page at their site for electronic communications, but also include the following details, which may be more helpful:

For written correspondence or phone contact (business partners only):
              Dark Horse Comics
              10956 SE Main Street
              Milwaukie, OR

Telephone: (503) 652-8815
              Fax: (503) 654-9440
              _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
              _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
              _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
              _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

Is this a reprint of the First Comics edition which sold for $1.75 in the mid eighties?

Comment

The original 6-issue series was published by Pacific Comics and each issue cost $1.50 so I suspect the First Comics graphic novel probably cost a bit more than $1.75,* but otherwise yes.

http://www.multiverse.org/imagehive/...bum31/album74/

*This resource suggests a $14.95 cover price for the 1986 GN reprint.

Comment

Dark Horse

Dark Horse is Mike Richardson's company. You might contact Randy Stradley, VP of Publishing. If Randy doesn't get back to you promptly,
                    call Mike Richardson--you'll no doubt get his secretary, but Mike's good about returning calls...hope this helps!

Comment

Looking at the add it seems to be a the old graphic novels reprinted as one as its 400+pages . The add also says it has not yet published

Comment

And I think I am going blind I did not notice the posting dates of most of this thread, so please ignore my post if its way out of date.

Comment

Dear all,

There's no reference at all to this publication (that I can find) on Dark Horse's website.

That's not to say it ain't happenin', but it wouldn't be the first time the likes of Amazondotscum have jumped the gun somewhat (or got things completely wrong).

If anyone actually sees or comes to own a copy, do please let us all know.

Best,

John.

Comment

it'd be great if if amazon weren't jumping the gun (john ) and it really was happening as i'm abit scared of getting my ones out, seen as their now quite old for comics
                            but i've pre-ordered it, so now we'll just wait and see if it is true
                            and mike, you should get yer mitts in on this as they owe you money!

Comment

Did this get resolved?

Was someone at HMA able to get through to Dark Horse? Their latest
                              catalog (Fall 2010) lists it as: "Collecting the long-out-of-print comics adaptations of the first two novels in the celebrated Elric sequence -- Elric of Melnibone and The Sailor on the Seas of Fate -- prefaced by Neil Gaiman and P. Craig Russell's one-shot, One Life, furnished in early Moorcock..." Amazon and Ingram still list the pub date as Sept. 14, but Dark Horse's catalog says 12-1-10 with Worldwide Rights. Hope it's now contracted!

Comment

Working...
                              X