Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Custom Action Figure of Elric

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Custom Action Figure of Elric

Howdy, all;

I'm a fresh, brand-new spanking noobie about these parts, so be gentle with me if this sort of thing is frowned upon. I discovered the site while searching for reference pics of Elric to sate my geekish desire for an action figure of him; and I joined up thinking maybe y'all might like to see it.

When I do the figures, I also do an 'encyclopedia entry' or a little plot synopsis telling how all the characters and scenarios from all the different creative properties I love are actually all in the same universe (just one randomly chosen universe out of the great wide Multiverse, of course). So far I've got stuff from Marvel Comics, DC Comics, Grendel comics, Hellboy comics, Star Wars, StarGate SG1, Aliens and Predators, Lovecraft, a few one-off characters that don't really qualify as having their own whole 'universe' like Nexus and Space Ghost, and a few things I just pull out of my backside and throw in for flavor.

And since Mr. Moorcock was gracious enough to gift us with the 'Multiverse' term, I figure at least some of his characters deserve to be in there as well, even if they weren't cool enough to deserve my fandom in their own right.

So, here's Elric, using Whelan's cover to the first book as my guide. Please, let me know what you think. I'd love for the Elric movie to get made, if only so Hasbro or MezCo could get the action figure license and I wouldn't have to go through all this trouble!

Again, if it's just for your own use, no problem. I have to admit I'm looking forward to an action figure, but I doubt there'll ever be anything as beautiful as Amano's figurine done some years ago.

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in Europe:
    The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
    Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in the USA:
    The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
    Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

I've never seen said figurine, Mike. Is there an image posted somewhere on the Miscellany that I might oogle?

BTW, how's Paris treatin' yer?
      Any fool can make a rule, and any fool will mind it.

~Henry David Thoreau

Comment

Maybe I'll stumble upon it on my own, or enlist the aid of David. That lad seems to know where everything is that ever was.

Glad to hear Paris is treatin' yer well. Was a scorcher here yesterday as well.

~Henry David Thoreau

Comment

He's not the only one, I'm sure. I think this is the figure Mike's referring to:

http://www.multiverse.org/imagehive/...s/elric_stat1/
          Last edited by Prof. Faustaff; 08-24-2010, 08:30 AM. Reason: Added hyperlink to link
          "They went into the house and were soon rolling about in bed together." - The Wrecks of Time, James Colvin, 1966

Comment

Wow, that is quite the image. Thanks Prof.

BTW, although I love the Whelan cover I'm with Mike on Elric's build. I always thought of him a bit wirey.
            Last edited by Wanderlust; 07-04-2010, 06:23 AM.

~Henry David Thoreau

Comment

If you look to the search options in the right hand side menus WL, you'll see an "image search" choice: Try that with "Amano" and you'll get to see some covers by that very talented chap too!
              Last edited by Rothgo; 07-04-2010, 06:27 AM.

Comment

Great stuff, Rotherz. I like the mention of Amano doing an anime version of Elric. I pay my two bits to see that high-diving act. Oh yeah.

~Henry David Thoreau

Comment

Just to bring this conversation full circle, I thought you all would like to know that AdrienVeidt has been whining and talking shit at another forum after Mike's reply:

Originally posted by AdrienVeidt
                  Yeah, I got a similarly ball-kicking response from Michael Moorcock about the Elric fig I did a few weeks ago:

Again, if it's just for your own use, no problem. I have to admit I'm looking forward to an action figure, but I doubt there'll ever be anything as beautiful as Amano's figurine done some years ago.

Gee, thanks for the praise and encouragement, Mike!
                  And here's another gem:

Originally posted by AdrienVeidt
                  So I'm not seeing something that's not there, right? The first word the guy says to me in response to my first post there is 'Again', not 'Welcome to the board' or the like, but 'again', as if he's lecturing me on something he already told me. Sheesh, Mike; I had no idea that there was such rampant Elric fraud going on out there, stealing you of the profits from all the scads of legitimate Elric product out there

Anyway, it hasn't dampened my enthusiasm for his work; but I doubt I'll post further figs of his inspiration there.
                  Here's a thread where a couple of dopes commiserate with one another over not being allowed to mass produce their models:
                  http://www.joecustoms.com/forums/vie...25032&start=15
                  Infinite complexity according to simple rules.

Comment

Gracious! He's as arrogant as his moniker.

Comment

Wasn't that the second figure thread that week? Seems like there's been several so far this year.

Comment

It was, and that seems to have been the bone of his disgruntlement - that Mike might be answering to a larger audience and a larger context than just him. On the flip side, it wasn't not the worst flame ever either - just a little peeved methinks. But if he thinks that Mike's response equates to constitues a "ball-kicking", he's had a bizarely sheltered life!

Comment

I just read through some of the thread you posted the link to, Rein' . . . . sheltered life ain't the half of it. Send him a virus, indeed. Bloody children.

Oh, and the guy complaining about being legalistic. Jeebus, of course he is, gimme a bloody break.

Anyhoo, it looks like the guy bought a figure and buggered with it a bit. Considering this, I think Mike was being pretty damn gracious. I think the figurine sucks moose.
                          Last edited by Wanderlust; 08-24-2010, 06:56 AM.

~Henry David Thoreau

Comment

Come come now: I thought it was a pretty good bit of work for a hobbiest. A darn site better than I could do for starters (not that I claim to any figure modding skills).

Comment

Working...
                            X