Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Time in elric books

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Time in elric books

In the Elric saga how was time told?
    minutes, seconds, hours? did they have clocks? bells?
    thanks

does anyone know??

Comment

I can't off the top of my head think of any references to the measures of time you mention, though there are plenty of mentions of years, and sometimes days, so you'd have to figure that those could be broken into smaller units.

By Elric, I'd assume that you are speaking of Melnibone and the Young Kingdoms and not some of the other realms including Tanelorn, where time often works in quite strange ways (note how Oona grew to be an adult while Elric was still a young man.)
      My Facebook; My Band; My Radio Show; My Flickr Page; Science Fiction Message Board

Comment

yes. i have little time for the computer so i am usualy in a rush when im writing like i am now. i did not mean tanelorn. im trying to understand how, in fantasy, time is told

Comment

By saying "in fantasy" you broaden the potential for consideration well beyond Elric, or even Moorcock! There are an infinite number of ways it could be told.

Moorcock's world of the Young Kingdoms doesn't seem particularly obsessed with time, though the sun does set at night and rise in the morning. His model appears to be to some extent our own world's medieval time, and I don't think the common person was to concerned with time broken into very small units now. That's a relatively modern and increasingly pervasive way of looking at things.

J.G. Ballard's story "Chronopolis" looks at that concept in a very interesting way (it's a science fiction story, not fantasy, but it was published in New Worlds when Moorcock was the editor) in a society where revolutionaries have made clocks illegal in reaction to a previous regime of extreme "time management."
          My Facebook; My Band; My Radio Show; My Flickr Page; Science Fiction Message Board

Comment

There are references to "years" passing by but you have to understand the Young Kingdoms world isn't a very meticulously developed world, serving as a backdrop to Elric's adventures before anything else.

Comment

Re: Time in elric books

Originally posted by Anonymous
              thanks

I think you will find on careful reading of 'Elric of Melnibone' that Elric has a Timex watch built into Stormbringer,so that he can stop slaying his mates in time to go down the pub for a swift pint of the wine of Bakshaan.The rest of the Young Kingdoms had to make do with specially bred alpacas that bellowed once every half hour.These were established by King Oxythrod the Chronulator, after the fall of Fwem Omeyo.In Filkhar they have the system of ingesting lime green crickets which they then regurgitate every 3.2 seconds.That system of time measurement was introduced by the heterodox Phlegmatids of the Dragon Isle in the year of the spotted wyvern.I hope that this has come some way to answering your question.
              yours chronically Chronos.

Comment

MM mentions years, days, hours, and minutes in many places in the Elric saga.

Comment

thanks

And in the Elric saga how did they hold up their trousers,kilts,trews,hose?
                  belts?braces?string?elastic?did they have zippers?velcro?

Comment

Despite the feeling I have that all this hostile sarcasm may injure a few people asking innocent questions, I do have to chuckle at the idea of Elric in suspenders!

Comment

Originally posted by Clueless
                      thanks

First of all I dont understand why you would insult someone you do not know. Second.. I meant in what way did they tell time as in....clocks? waterclocks? sun dials? You misunderstood my question. I hope you see your mistake and apologise.

Comment

thanks
                        :o

I am not the mocker of your original message, but it does look inane.Why the nitpicking fascination with extremely minor details? Are you looking for data for a role playing game?If Moorcock won't go into detail about such things do you reckon he might have good reason?

:lol:

Who ever wrote this is being funny.I suggest that you grow/buy/purloin a sense of humour. :(

First of all I dont understand why you would insult someone you do not know. Second.. I meant in what way did they tell time as in....clocks? waterclocks? sun dials? You misunderstood my question. I hope you see your mistake and apologise.
                        If your inane question can be treated seriously-why can't the trousers question be just as serious? If you want to know about the intricacies of young kingdoms timekeeping or bee keeping-why cannot someone else ask about trouser belts etc?

Comment

thanks
                          :o

I am not the mocker of your original message, but it does look inane.Why the nitpicking fascination with extremely minor details? Are you looking for data for a role playing game?If Moorcock won't go into detail about such things do you reckon he might have good reason?

:lol:

Who ever wrote this is being funny.I suggest that you grow/buy/purloin a sense of humour. :(

If your inane question can be treated seriously-why can't the trousers question be just as serious? If you want to know about the intricacies of young kingdoms timekeeping or bee keeping-why cannot someone else ask about trouser belts etc?

-your insulting me, goodbye

Comment

-your insulting me, goodbye[/quote]

Guys! Please! No more message within a message within a message.It's bad for my eyes!The correct english is you're insulting me OK?Stop fidgetting at the back of the class and pay attention boy!

Paul. :?

Comment

Actually, if we'r going to nail down the fantasy writer and ask him questions of realism from this world, my wife hit me with a doozy. I've recently succeeded in getting her into Elric, but she wondered out loud how come if he's an albino, he never gets sunburned?

This is an especially valid question when you picture him riding through the desert low on his drugs and having stolen no soul recently. His skin ought to turn pinker than his eyes!

Comment

Working...
                              X