Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Elric taught in NYC high Schools

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Elric taught in NYC high Schools

This post is mainly for Mr. Moorcock but if anyone else has anything to say I would appreciate the feedback.
    I'm an English teacher for the NYC Dept. of Education, which in itself can be a war between Chaos and Law, I have been using Elric as an example in teaching literary elements to my kids (Elric is a shining example of the four basic conflicts in literature).
    So far I've had success in showing the kids that literary elements can be used in practically any aspect of life: telling stories, movies, comic books, TV shows etc. I use movies and comic characters as examples to spark interest in the subject.
    The problem I have (and the problem all teachers face) is competing with attention spans. Since kids base a lot of what they know on TV, movies and music, teaching in front of a classroom full of 37 kids becomes archaic in broadening their horizons.
    I've used Elric in my classroom in many ways, such as excerpts (which hopefully they read), artwork and poetry (Elric's spells, Wheldrake and "Veteran of the Psychic Wars") and I've met with some success.
    Now, however, I'm faced with a new program that includes 90 minutes of various instruction. Keep in mind I teach in an inner city school so these programs usually don't work but my job is riding on following "The Script".
    Since listening is an essential part of their curriculum and we are encouraged to use books read on CD or tape I was wondering if anyone knew of resources concerning the Elric books whether it be audio, video etc.
    I'm paying out of pocket so price for me isn't that much of a concern I just need to be pointed in the right direction. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

No doubt someone else will get in before me while I'm typing this, but there is a thread concerning audiobooks here:

[broken link]

And that could also lead to the official site for the audiobook at:

http://www.audiorealms.com/main.html

There are also downloadable sound files (on this site) here:

[broken link]

Hope that is of some help.

D...
    Last edited by Rothgo; 04-08-2010, 02:31 PM.
    "That which does not kill us, makes us stranger." - Trevor Goodchild

Comment

Many Thanks

I REALLY appreciate the help!!

Comment

Thank you DeeCrowSeer

:D Thanks, you don't know how much this will help

Comment

It was the least I could do for such a noble cause! The site was supposed to be down for maintenance this weekend, so a lot of the regulars aren't around, otherwise you would have had far more replies to your post. We're quite a helpful bunch around these parts... and we don't even get a commission! :D

D...

Comment

Commissions

:lol: Neither do teachers!!!

But this has inspired me to try and create a new class even there is no money for books, with the success of "Lord of the Rings" I may be able to reach out to the administration and create a Sci-Fi/ Fantasy Literature class if my use of the literature and resources is successful

Comment

D: the site transitioned from one web host to the other while you were sleeping. The "weekend outage" was precautionary. Besides, these guys need to get out of the house from time to time.

Straasha: Use the feedback link to contact me. I have something for you.
              The cat spread its wings and flew high into the air, hovering to keep pace with them as they moved cautiously toward the city. Then, as they climbed over the rubble of what had once been a gateway and began to make their way through piles of weed-grown masonry, the cat flew to the squat building with the yellow dome upon its roof. It flew twice around the dome and then came back to settle on Jhary's shoulder. - The King of the Swords

Comment

Feedback

:? My computer is most likely being stupid the link under modules isn't popping up I keep getting "Page unavailable"

Comment

Nevermind

OK my computer is back to normal ignore last post!

Comment

Originally posted by Berry Sizemore
                    D: the site transitioned from one web host to the other while you were sleeping.
                    Shhhh! Don't tell anyone. I'm enjoying the elbow room.

Straasha: Good luck with the class, and be sure to put Elric ahead of LotR on the syllabus! Hobbits are sooo over.

D...

Comment

Keep fighting the good fight, Straasha. Good high school teachers are one of our most undervalued resources.

For what it's worth, I've used a bit of MM's stuff in my classes, usually with and pretty good responses. Anything to keep their attention and make their minds move...

Comment

Really, doc? How so?
                        \"Bush\'s army of barmy bigots is the worst thing that\'s happened to the US in some years...\"
                        Michael Moorcock - 3am Magazine Interview

Comment

Originally posted by Jerico
                          Really, doc? How so?
                          Off the top of my head...

I've compared reactions to Behold the Man and the Passion of the Christ, and have also used Behold the Man to talk about issues of taste. I've referenced Mother London and the Second Ether to describe non-linearity in postmodern fiction, and talked about most of MM's work when describing the boundaries and devices of genres and their forms.

I've also used MM's stories about rapists who call themselves Elric or Jerry Cornelius as springboards to talk about the relationship of author and audience and the difference between intent and interpretation.

I'm (very) lucky to teach classes that let me touch on many very ecclectic topics and ideas.

Comment

Hopefully you have mostly good students.

Student 1: Wut'd he say?

Student 2: ::giggles:: More cock.

Student 1: ::raises hand:: Umm.. Where can we find More cock?

--------------------
                            I know. Stupid.

I have at least two friends who did the
                            bit when I revealed my favorite fiction.
                            \"Bush\'s army of barmy bigots is the worst thing that\'s happened to the US in some years...\"
                            Michael Moorcock - 3am Magazine Interview

Comment

I get a similar response, Jer.

Some of my students assume I only read "the big-headed books" in my office. When they find out I actually like to read for pleasure, I'll always suggest authors based on what I know about the student and the author. So far, nearly everyone I've suggested read MM has been glad I did-- after they got through snickering, of course. "My professor said More Cock!" :o

Comment

Working...
                              X