Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

ARIOCH'S SWORD..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by J-Sun View Post
    But I'd say Round is in fact part of the description:
    Round? Well, I guess this has to count as round:

_"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
    _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
    _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
    _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

I was coming to that, but David beat me to it

Comment

Originally posted by dacrydium
        Is Arioch's sword in the Knight of the Swords (Corum's world) one of the runeblades, Stormbringer or Mournblade? It is described as black and carved with intricate patterns and runes...
        Originally posted by Michael Moorcock
        My guess is it's the same sword. Has anyone ever thought that Mournblade, like the other 'brothers' of the sword could be an aspect of Stormbringer, too ?
        Originally posted by redcoat
        Re Stormbringer, and presumably Mournblade, Elric on obtaining it states~
        " 'But I know the sword can only be borne by me. You cannot bear it, Arioch, or you would. Only I- or another mortal like me-can take it from the Pulsing Cavern. Is that not so ?'
        'You are clever, Elricof Melnibone.' Arioch spoke with sardonic admiration. 'and you are a fitting servant of Chaos'."
        ( Elric of Melnibone, Bk3, Chapt4. )
        Also Melniboneans refer to Arioch as the 'keeper of the Two Black Swords' not the owner or weilder.
        My take on this whole issue is that the proper black blakes (Stormbringer, Mournblade, etc.) are aspects of the same with Stormbringer, perhaps, as the archetype. Arioch's sword, on the other hand, I see more as a copy of that archetype than a proper aspect. The sword(s) was created to challenge chaos and given the results of what eventually happens in "Stormbringer", I'd have to say that Arioch is likely incapable of weilding even a minor aspect of the sword. I think he wanted so badly to weild that power he attempted to create an "Arioch-safe" version of it. More a manifestation of his own desire than a proper aspect of the black blade.
        "In omnibus requiem quaesivi, et nusquam inveni nisi in angulo cum libro"
        --Thomas a Kempis

Comment

Cool picture!!!

And, of course, Dyson Spheres are round, too.
          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dyson_sphere

But I think the ability to exert their own gravity has some influence on the discussion, so there's that to factor in. I don't know how gravity on Dyson Spheres work. Next time I see that chick Lila Cheney, I'll ask her.
          "Self-discipline and self-knowledge are the key. An individual becomes a unique universe, able to move at will through all the scales of the multiverse - potentially able to control the immediate reality of every scale, every encountered environment."
          --Contessa Rose von Bek, Blood part 4, chapter 12

Comment

Mmm...Donuts!
            "They went into the house and were soon rolling about in bed together." - The Wrecks of Time, James Colvin, 1966

Comment

Chopped in half, reforged, chopped in half, reforged, ad infinitum (and no, I have no idea where Mournblade finally ends up - probably down a crack in the sub-strata of the Multiverse! )
              Amid Chaos, Order arises; but even in Order there is Chaos.

Understands now that Corum did have a happy ending after all!

Comment

Working...
              X