Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

ARIOCH'S SWORD..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ARIOCH'S SWORD..

Is Arioch's sword in the Knight of the Swords (Corum's world) one of the runeblades, Stormbringer or Mournblade? It is described as black and carved with intricate patterns and runes...

Maybe it is like Terry's Choccolatte Orange (It's not Terry's... it's Mine!)

Comment

My guess is it's the same sword. Has anyone ever thought that Mournblade, like the other 'brothers' of the sword could be an aspect of Stormbringer, too ?

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in Europe:
      The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
      Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in the USA:
      The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
      Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Moorcock View Post
        My guess is it's the same sword. Has anyone ever thought that Mournblade, like the other 'brothers' of the sword could be an aspect of Stormbringer, too ?
        Yeah, I've wondered that. It certainly makes the whole timeline thing fit better in a way.
        "Self-discipline and self-knowledge are the key. An individual becomes a unique universe, able to move at will through all the scales of the multiverse - potentially able to control the immediate reality of every scale, every encountered environment."
        --Contessa Rose von Bek, Blood part 4, chapter 12

Comment

If aspects of the Champion can co-exist, I'd guess aspects of Stormbringer can also co-exist. In my head's a multiplicity of spheres, as John Dee sang in Gloriana.

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in Europe:
          The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
          Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in the USA:
          The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
          Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

Iconic Archetypes that penetrate/permeate/project into the En Soph.
            Ani Maamin B'emunah Sh'leimah B'viyat Hamashiach. V'af al pi sheyitmahmehah im kol zeh achake lo b'chol yom sheyavo.

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." - Phillip K. Dick

Comment

Originally posted by dacrydium View Post
              Is Arioch's sword in the Knight of the Swords (Corum's world) one of the runeblades, Stormbringer or Mournblade? It is described as black and carved with intricate patterns and runes...
              Re Stormbringer, and presumably Mournblade, Elric on obtaining it states~
              " 'But I know the sword can only be borne by me. You cannot bear it, Arioch, or you would. Only I- or another mortal like me-can take it from the Pulsing Cavern. Is that not so ?'
              'You are clever, Elricof Melnibone.' Arioch spoke with sardonic admiration. 'and you are a fitting servant of Chaos'."
              ( Elric of Melnibone, Bk3, Chapt4. )
              Also Melniboneans refer to Arioch as the 'keeper of the Two Black Swords' not the owner or weilder.
              John

Comment

Originally posted by redcoat View Post
                Re Stormbringer, and presumably Mournblade, Elric on obtaining it states~
                " 'But I know the sword can only be borne by me. You cannot bear it, Arioch, or you would. Only I- or another mortal like me-can take it from the Pulsing Cavern. Is that not so ?'
                'You are clever, Elricof Melnibone.' Arioch spoke with sardonic admiration. 'and you are a fitting servant of Chaos'."
                ( Elric of Melnibone, Bk3, Chapt4. )
                Also Melniboneans refer to Arioch as the 'keeper of the Two Black Swords' not the owner or weilder.
                John
                In the sphere of the Young Kingdoms this is probably true, but in the donut shaped world of the Vadhagh and the Mabden?
                remember that in the YK Arioch was a god of the Melniboneans, while in Corum's world he was a god of the (dirty, dirty) Mabden

Comment

What a funny way for you to phrase that! I'm pretty certain you implied as much pretty heavily somewhere in one of the latest Elric books, though I can't recall exactly where or which one.
                  My Facebook; My Band; My Radio Show; My Flickr Page; Science Fiction Message Board

Comment

It is pretty much stated in the Quest For Tanelorn as I recall. The whole biz of 'two spirits that the sword makers thought were different, but were atually one' sort of thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Nathaniel View Post
                      In the sphere of the Young Kingdoms this is probably true, but in the donut shaped world of the Vadhagh and the Mabden?
                      remember that in the YK Arioch was a god of the Melniboneans, while in Corum's world he was a god of the (dirty, dirty) Mabden
                      Corum's world is shaped like a donut?

What kind of donut?
                      "Self-discipline and self-knowledge are the key. An individual becomes a unique universe, able to move at will through all the scales of the multiverse - potentially able to control the immediate reality of every scale, every encountered environment."

Comment

Though that's certainly news to me, I think he is refering to a Toroid shape.
                        Ani Maamin B'emunah Sh'leimah B'viyat Hamashiach. V'af al pi sheyitmahmehah im kol zeh achake lo b'chol yom sheyavo.

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." - Phillip K. Dick

Comment

Originally posted by Kyrinn S. Eis View Post
                          Though that's certainly news to me, I think he is refering to a Toroid shape.
                          Wow. I'd have trouble fitting a dozen of those in a donut box, shaped like that.

Now, a world shaped like a donut-hole, that makes sense. Or maybe even a jelly-donut. Those are kind of flat and round at the same time, like a fat pancake, except maybe with a jelly-lava core.

So now I'm more confused.

Actually, and maybe this has been brought up, but in Elric: the Making of a Sorcerer, issue 2, the world of the Young Kingdoms is called a planet. And in issue three, it's got an edge that you can fall off. To me, planets are round, and edges imply a flatness. And this in back to back comic books. Which makes me think... the Young Kingdoms is an odd donut!

Comment

Originally posted by J-Sun View Post
                            To me, planets are round, and edges imply a flatness.
                            I only bring this up because you have an interest in etymology: etymologically speaking, planets are things that move around in the sky, so shape isn't really an issue.

Comment

Originally posted by johneffay View Post
                              I only bring this up because you have an interest in etymology: etymologically speaking, planets are things that move around in the sky, so shape isn't really an issue.
                              Yeah, yeah, yeah. That's why I majored in linguistics, not science or physics. Descriptive linguistics vs. prescriptive and all that Sapir-Whorf stuff.

But I'd say Round is in fact part of the description:
                              http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planet
                              Admittedly, we take Wiki with a grain of salt, but this one aint bad.

I think that in the semantic domain of English that the word falls under, most of us who hear the word planet think spheres, like Earth. Birds move in the sky, while planets aren't in the sky but in outer space. At some point we either nitpick definitions or go with what us common folk think the words mean. Hence descriptive linguistics.

No, I recognize that my definition of a planet aint exact. On the other hand, it may not be used exactly in Making of a Sorcerer either. But that's why I prefaced what I said with, "To me..." To avoid the idea that the definition of a planet is rather vague, although Wikipedia has one that seems pretty good in this case.

But John, you know I love linguistics and will happily talk etymology all day long (and semantic domain, etc.). Thanks for engaging the discussion on that level.

Comment

Working...
                              X