Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Corum's World

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Corum's World

Submitted for your approval: A full-colour map of the world in which Corum once walked!

First off I'd like to thank Mike for creating the excellent Corum saga - without them there would have been no point in this map!
    Second, I'd like to thank the Governor of Rowe Island - Guv, your ability to ferret out distances and locations was second to none!
    Last, I'd like to thank googlemap, from whence I pinched all of the pieces to put the map together!

Practically everything on there is based around parts of our Earth (although I moved a great deal of bits around until I was satisfied that they looked right), so see if you can figure out which parts are which!

All that remains to be said is, I hope this meets with your approval Mike, as well as everyone elses - never again will I have the frustrating fun of figuring out how far one could fly in the time it takes to have a shave and a haircut!
    Amid Chaos, Order arises; but even in Order there is Chaos.

Understands now that Corum did have a happy ending after all!

I think you've done a great job, Max. I reckon I'll always think of this one when I read the books. It wasn't any trouble tracking down the hints of distances, I could never have converted them like you did!
    You see, it's... it's no good, Montag. We've all got to be alike. The only way to be happy is for everyone to be made equal.

-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-

Image Hive :-: Wikiverse :-: Media Hive

:-: Onsite Offerings :-:

"I am an observer of life, a non-participant who takes no sides. I am in the regimented society, but not of it." Moondog, 1964

Comment

All I can say is: hooray for tape-measures!

Comment

Good job, Max. I like this one far better than... another map... I've seen (and shouldn't admit to where, I suppose.) This one looks geologically realistic. You can tell where the mountain chains are, and where they would continue underwater, etc. And teh vague similarities to our own world... Yep. A+
        "Self-discipline and self-knowledge are the key. An individual becomes a unique universe, able to move at will through all the scales of the multiverse - potentially able to control the immediate reality of every scale, every encountered environment."
        --Contessa Rose von Bek, Blood part 4, chapter 12

Comment

I only remember about half those places; now I'm going to have to re-read the Corum books just to check up on your map

Seriously though, it does look nice

Comment

Thanks everyone - that's made my week!

I took a small liberty with the name of the map - just my little joke as it roughly translates as "Planet Cornwall"!

Comment

Greetings, Von Bek!

Lovely map you have conjured up.
              Truly a work of art.
              I am amazed. I have not seen one as good as this yet!
              It is acceptionally perfect.
              This truly inspires me to go back and redraw all of my maps I have just finished with my own book!
              Such marvelous work!

Thank you so much for sharing this with us.
              A true artist of map making.

-Dark Magus
              They're all true... Especially the lies.

Comment

Hello Max von Bek,

That is a superb map!

Fantastic!

I would very much like to see you make more of them for different worlds!

That would be very cool,an array of charts.

"With a deep, not-unhappy sigh, Elric prepared to do battle with an army." (Red Pearls)
                - Michael Moorcock

Comment

I definitely wouldn't tackle the Elric map, as the Young Kingdoms have been pretty well mapped for years.

Erekose's world is one that I want to have a good look at (and it'll give me a good excuse to re-read the Eternal Champion to boot!).

It should be a bit easier, as it was less nebulous than some areas of Corum's world, and has only three main continents (which thanks to a suggestion from Forbin will probably be based around the Nordic countries).

Hawkmoon's Earth is an easy one as well - we already know what it looks like, but Erekose and Corum had never really had one (and at least Corum does now ). It makes me wonder if its worth doing Urlik Skarsol-Erekose and Flamadin-Erekose as well (although wasn't Flamadin somewhere in the Middle March?).

Comment

Hey Max.

Let me know if you end up making the map of the Ice World from Silver Warriors and from Ice Schooner.

You might consider making a "Maps of the Multiverse" collection. Get Mike's approval, toss in some paintings from Lemec... man, I'd buy that in a heart beat.

You go, Max.
                    "Self-discipline and self-knowledge are the key. An individual becomes a unique universe, able to move at will through all the scales of the multiverse - potentially able to control the immediate reality of every scale, every encountered environment."

Comment

Max, if you have a larger copy of the map, would you like to email it to me for inclusion in the Image Hive? Or even add it yourself? I've saved a copy of the one above, but, of course, if there's a better quality version...

If you want me to have a look at 'The Eternal Champion' and do the same thing as I did for the Corum books let me know.

J-Sun, I'm pretty sure 'The Ice Schooner' starts out

So you just have to work out how high the ice should be and what's left above it.
                      Last edited by Governor of Rowe Island; 03-22-2008, 12:39 PM.
                      You see, it's... it's no good, Montag. We've all got to be alike. The only way to be happy is for everyone to be made equal.

-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-

"I am an observer of life, a non-participant who takes no sides. I am in the regimented society, but not of it." Moondog, 1964

Comment

That is the impression I got from reading the Ice Schooner. I think the last chapter pretty much says where all the cities are. But since so much of the world is effectively under (frozen) water, the map would be a lot of fun to have. And I'd love to see the cities in the Silver Warriors pluged in, and Max is clearly the guy for the job.

Comment

Originally posted by J-Sun View Post
                          That is the impression I got from reading the Ice Schooner. I think the last chapter pretty much says where all the cities are. But since so much of the world is effectively under (frozen) water, the map would be a lot of fun to have. And I'd love to see the cities in the Silver Warriors pluged in, and Max is clearly the guy for the job.
                          It's been a while since I read it so I wasn't certain. And I'd agree, Max would certainly seem to be the man for the job.

Comment

Aw you guys!

I had a quick look on googlemap, and heres the relative positions from the Ice Schooner:

The bottom red dot is the Mato Grosso region of Brazil (I remember being freaked out by that when I first read it), and the top dot is New York as we know it today (although perhaps not as Konrad knew it (I'm going to have to re-read the book as my brother reminded me of a load of things I'd forgotten about it, like ice-whales!

Comment

Working...
                            X