Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Books of Corum Boxed Set - Which Books?/How Many?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Books of Corum Boxed Set - Which Books?/How Many?

Hi Everyone,

This is my first post, so apologies if I c*ck it up!

This isn't really a question for Mr. Moorcock, really just a general inquiry which I hope someone will be kind enough to answer.

I've a bit of a weakness for buying MM Boxed Sets - and I've seen in the Image hive that there's a Books of Corum boxed set. I would love to own this, but suspect I'll have to wait some time - but could someone tell me what it contained: was it all 6 of the books of Corum (I think Granada had editions of all of them when the boxed set appeared) or was it some smaller number, like the first three?

Thanks.

Yours in anticipation,

Jherek C.

Hi Jherek and welcome.

Somewhat bizarrely that Books of Corum boxset only contained the first four Corum novels: Knight/Queen/King of the Swords + The Bull and the Spear.

A couple of copies have turned up on eBay within the last year, so there's a good chance of another turning up eventually.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by David Mosley; 02-07-2008, 03:13 PM.
    _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
    _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
    _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
    _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

Classic publishing mess up. That sort of mindlessness turned up in a few other boxed sets -- boxing miscellaneous titles. I suppose it COULD have been a cunning plan....

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in Europe:
      The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
      Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in the USA:
      The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
      Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

Thank you

Thank you very much for your replies, Michael and David, and your welcome, David. I've been checking out this site so often since I discovered it that I thought I should finally take the plunge!

Yeah, that is a really strange way to do a Corum boxed set - why not just the first three? But nowhere near as strange as the seemingly random mixtures in the Quartet boxed sets - Mighty M and Multi-dimensional M - I'm guessing those are the ones you're thinking of, Michael. They even have the same book (The Sleeping Sorceress) in both sets! Though, as you said: "It could have been a cunning plan" - like, maybe if you'd mistakenly printed far too many copies of that book you might think you could shift a few more by doing that!

Anyway, one more question, if I may: I think I saw John Davey write, in an old post on this site, that there are 8 boxed sets (with unconfirmed rumours of a 9th Elric set) but there are only 7 in the Image Hive. Is one missing? Or was he counting the two versions of the History of the Runestaff as two separate sets? (seems unlikely)

Thanks again,

JC

Comment

These boxes were generally put out at Christmas and were not especially cheap to produce, so I'm not sure it had much to do with overstocks. Generally it was a way to get people to buy a bunch of paperbacks in a nice presentation. It's more likely the whole thing was done by the sales dept. without reference to editorial.

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in Europe:
          The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
          Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in the USA:
          The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
          Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

Originally posted by Jherek Cornelius View Post
            Anyway, one more question, if I may: I think I saw John Davey write, in an old post on this site, that there are 8 boxed sets (with unconfirmed rumours of a 9th Elric set) but there are only 7 in the Image Hive. Is one missing? Or was he counting the two versions of the History of the Runestaff as two separate sets? (seems unlikely)
            Thanks again,
            JC
            The Elric boxed set is real. It's the first six DAW Elrics in a nice box. I was the first of the Miscellanists to find one, after some years of searching (listed on eBay with no photo, so a risky punt). There has been one other sighting of the rare beast since.

I hadn't realised there is no image in the Hive. I will have to rectify that.

How do I love boxed sets? Let me count the ways. Or count the sets different ways.

You could say there are two Runestaff sets. You could also say there are two Brass sets; one Count and one Castle. As some around here may remember, I've always had a "thing" about those two Brass sets...! Ever since John Davey alerted me to their existence. Easy to find on the Bay most of the time in both forms.

I still haven't bagged a Multidimensional. It can surely only be a matter of Time. Or possibly, given my small flat, Space.
            Last edited by GuyLawley; 02-10-2008, 03:50 AM. Reason: typo

Comment

!

There's an idea for Savoy. The Englebrecht Surrealist Boxed set.

Of course, it couldn't actually BE a box of books.

Comment

Guy,
                Would you consider doing an article on the boxsets for the Wikipedia? Doesn't have to be much - a listing will suffice.
                Statistically 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy.

Comment

Dear all,

As a brief recap:-

The History Of The Runestaff, Mayflower box set, circa 1973,

Mighty Moorcock, Quartet, c. 1974,

Multi-Dimensional Moorcock, Quartet, c. 1975,

The Chronicles Of Count Brass, Mayflower/Granada, c. 1977,

ditto, as The Chronicles Of Castle Brass, Granada, c. 1978,

The Dancers At The End Of Time, Mayflower, c. 1978,

The Jerry Cornelius Quartet, Fontana, c. 1979,

Six Science Fiction Classics From The Master Of Heroic Fantasy (i.e. "the first six DAW Elrics"), DAW, c. 1979,

The Books Of Corum, Granada, c. 1980.

Apart than the Elric, which is the other set missing from the Image Hive?

Best,

John.

Comment

They are all there, John (except Elric) but Brass has just the one album for the 2 variants or editions.

And thanks for typing out the full name of the Elric box; I tried but lost the will.

I haven't figured out the Wiki thing yet. Anyone else like to put together a thing based on John's list (with his permission)?

Comment

Elric boxset album now added to Hive (thanks to Guy).

If people would like to see separate albums for the Count/Castle Brass boxsets that can be arranged easily.

Interesting Daw describe the Elric books as 'science fiction' while simultaneously calling Mike "the master of Heroic Fantasy".
                      _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
                      _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
                      _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
                      _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

Dear all,

Guy says "Anyone else like to put together a thing based on John's list (with his permission)?" To which I'd answer... hey, go for it!

Meanwhile, a small, rather picky little point for David to take note of, in his Image Hive description for the Elric box set (and doubtless others): "Daw" should be shown as 'DAW', as they were the initials of the publisher's founder, Donald A. Wollheim.

I was picked up on this by his daughter, when I was first in contact with them back in the late-'80s/early '90s. It seemed to matter a great deal to them, so I thought I'd pass it along...

Best,

John.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnDavey View Post
                          Meanwhile, a small, rather picky little point for David to take note of, in his Image Hive description for the Elric box set (and doubtless others): "Daw" should be shown as 'DAW', as they were the initials of the publisher's founder, Donald A. Wollheim.

I was picked up on this by his daughter, when I was first in contact with them back in the late-'80s/early '90s. It seemed to matter a great deal to them, so I thought I'd pass it along...
                          I always wondered on the correct 'spelling'. Happy to oblige John.

Comment

Originally posted by David Mosley View Post
                            Interesting Daw describe the Elric books as 'science fiction' while simultaneously calling Mike "the master of Heroic Fantasy".
                            If anything, you would expect it to be 'heroic fantasy' by 'the master of science fiction'.

Comment

Working...
                            X