Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Krezscenti Morninktomsk!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Michael Moorcock
    ...showy and cheap ...
    As a Moskvich 433 outside GUM! Which reminds me (DON'T ASK) of a late night taxi ride I once took from Malyj Novopeskovski (just there behind Smolenskaya) to Ladozskaya per. I could have taken the metro, but my companion had a severe attack of vertigo brought on by the metro escalators!!!

So in memory of that night I will advance to:

Baumanskaya
    Does it follow that I reject all authority? Perish the thought. In the matter of boots, I defer to the authority of the boot-maker.
    Bakunin

Comment

Not my move yet, but I'd like to murmur a word of warning about nostalgic moves of this kind. .PV.Stanislavski wrote a very good volume or two on the subject and I must say I agree with all his observations.
      Specifically, p. 1006 on deals specifically with a Baumanskaya move of this kind. Not that you're in any kind of serious trouble, but Stanislavski
      advises what he amusingly calls an Oetz-wing-over on principle.

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in Europe:
      The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
      Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in the USA:
      The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
      Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

Stanislavski always had a brilliant sense of irony - The Oetz-wing-over certainly gave Petlyura an edge at Kiev!

Have you ever seen Kamarov initiate a Kozakov reversal? It's very elegant in a typical pre-plutocrat sort of way - very similiar to an Oetz but only able to be used, according to Orlov, on suburban lines north-east of Dynamo.

At the risk of being nostalgic (again!!!!) it has always reminded me of the sensuous plaster fluting and magnificent mosaics of Smolenskaya (not a move you understand, just a reminiscence....)
        Does it follow that I reject all authority? Perish the thought. In the matter of boots, I defer to the authority of the boot-maker.
        Bakunin

Comment

North-EAST, you say?

If you're sure of that, my friend, then Tarkovsky, Stanislavski, Nye and the infamous, legendary, oft-quoted but never read Dark Tsar's Handbook (no relation, nb) all concur on the inevitable - and destructive - next move. The bearings scream out, the points are red-hot, but my hands are tied to the dead man's handle:

Zyablikovo.

This has taken its toll. I may not be able to continue on this level. Beware, the whole field will be massively unstable. Where are you, Garcia?!

Comment

Well I'm glad I' ve chosen the transsiberian alternative, though the tension now created at the core of the map may well make my re-entry a bit problematic...
            As for now, I'll move on to wang fu jing

Comment

Comrade - such a casual disregard for one's own personal safety is.... well it leaves me speechless! No wonder the stations are dug so deep!

Yugo-Zapadnaya - no that's a duplication isn't i! Damn!

To hell with it! North East it is! If my interpretation of Taras Schevchenko (1957 revised) is correct my only legal, and I emphasize legal, not necessarily moral, move is:
              Timirjaveskaya

I don't think my liver can take much more of this....
              Bakunin

Comment

Emkay, if you don't mind old chap, I'll hitch a ride with you awhile; take a breather, clear the head and unglaze the brain, what?

Comment

So we're bringing in the rechnoy tramvai are we ? Complicated when you move to water, so to keep it simple (for my own sake -- my head's
                  'drowning in the vodka of verisimmilitudinism' as Bely' had it) I'll play

Kiev River Station

And hope the sound of my wake doesn't summon the 'ghosts of the Volga boatmen' .

By god, the blood sings when the play gets as wild and reckless as this.

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in Europe:
                  The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
                  Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in the USA:
                  The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
                  Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

damn your eyes this Mocbva vodka is closer to turpentine than methylated spirits.... But I digress...

I've checked the Stavka minutes for 16 May 1946. The forward to the preface indicated that the Dymer Zagal'tsy concurrence with the Dniepr option could provide an excellent governance framework.

Now stifle your mirth - this is a serious move

Oshitki

For further discussion on the merits of this I point you to:
                    http://wwics.si.edu/index.cfm?topic_...document&id=46
                    Bakunin

Comment

Since Krezscenti Morninktomsk does not exist, would it be impertinent to ask where is the destination for this game?

Comment

Mornington Crescent of course

Comment

By the beard of my mother, Guest-Khan!! 'Does not exist'!!! May the Golden Horde ramage your entrails in mare's milk and arrak! How quothe you such blasphemous utterances against the exalted game? As the old, old song goes:

On my horse,
                          across the steppe,
                          where the grass grows -
                          Oh, oh, oh,
                          Where my arrows fall like rain,
                          on the brows of mine foes,
                          And the yurts spring up like saplings,
                          Spring, spring, spring;
                          There my love did founder,
                          After too much bloody vodka,
                          And she tumbled like
                          The falling cherry-blossom,
                          Flutter, flutter.
                          Til the steppe rose up
                          To kiss her backside,
                          With much bruising.
                          Shit! shit! shit!
                          She cried as her
                          knickers got caught
                          in the stirrups
                          on the wind-blown steppe
                          where the horses run
                          and the marmots play
                          on the steppe
                          where my love
                          Did go arse over tip...

So take heed! And take not the piss out of the game, the Great Game of my olden race!

By the ancient power vested in the seven tribes by Chinggis himself, I now play:

Khovd

which is a most inhospitable place of rock and steppe and horses. And probably a station.

(Free translation from: The Ancient History of the Mongols, by Fred Ganzurig, Ulan Bator Press, 1927)

Comment

Thanks, MK. Phew. I think the nosebleed's stopped now.

The trouble with the Dark Tsar's Handbook, as you all know, is that it won't let you go once you invoke it. Ohhhhhhh, Lord help me, I'm in trouble now.

Anino, via Ulaanbaatar

Shee-it, folks.

Comment

That last move was pusillanimous. Don't be distracted by it. Ignore it. I'm invoking Verhovensky's Alzheimer Option to render it null as far as the progress of the game's concerned.

However - and I know it's not my turn, but something's got to break the appalled silence that's settled over the board - I've had a blinding flash of inspiration. Or maybe my recent episode really has done irreversibe neural damage. But, anyway, blame Conrad.

Hampton Wick.

Or call an ambulance.

Comment

Working...
                              X