Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you!
See more
See less

The Web of Fear and The Mornington Crescent Code

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CandyFlossCow
    replied
    Originally posted by porcus_volans View Post

There’s a fungus among us, as Nik Turner once sang.
    The Inner City Unit Dating Conundrum? Another clue is provided by the Yeti "roar" -- a toilet flush processed by the Radiophonic Wizards -- evidently revealing the hand of the Great Incontinence.

Leave a comment:

• porcus_volans
    replied
    Originally posted by postodave View Post
    I can't really make a play until I know how we are dealing with Tooting Beck. Either Lancster Gate or High Barnett depending on the whole Yeti on the Loo thing. Obviously both would be played on an assumption that Mawdryn Undead has only semi-canonical status.
    You need to go one or t’other Dave. I’ll force your hand a bit by going Green Park, which means that you can only have played Lancaster Gate. Of course, that puts High Barnet in the DFS Sale room for all eternity. Or at least until Tom Baker learns to whisper.

Leave a comment:

• postodave
    replied
    I can't really make a play until I know how we are dealing with Tooting Beck. Either Lancster Gate or High Barnett depending on the whole Yeti on the Loo thing. Obviously both would be played on an assumption that Mawdryn Undead has only semi-canonical status.

Leave a comment:

• porcus_volans
    replied
    Originally posted by postodave View Post
    I would avoid the fungus by playing Bond Street and using a cart on a pulley with covering fire. Am I allowed to continue after I get killed do you think?
    There’s a fungus among us, as Nik Turner once sang.

You can have as many lives as you like Dave, as long as you keep watching the 15 second video.

I’m going for the Pertwee variation and a short skip to Pimlico.

Leave a comment:

• postodave
    replied
    I would avoid the fungus by playing Bond Street and using a cart on a pulley with covering fire. Am I allowed to continue after I get killed do you think?

Leave a comment:

• porcus_volans
    replied
    I’ll begin with Tom Baker Street.

Leave a comment:

• postodave
    replied
    I have been thinking about this and I think a game based on The Web of Fear would be possible as long as you found a good way to deal with the Tooting Beck issue. You could either ban any landing on Tooting Back and so have a very slow game, one that might actually never end, or make Tooting Beck wild which would lead to a rapid game with potential Fool's Crescent in 4. However an alternative would be to allow the Tooting Beck gambit as long as you avoid the WCs. I suppose you could call any move with the toilets engaged Pertweeing and call people out if they seemed to be doing that.

As long as Pertweeing isn't confused with pert weeing which is a quite different problem.

Leave a comment:

• postodave
    started a topic The Web of Fear and The Mornington Crescent Code

The Web of Fear and The Mornington Crescent Code

Not sure if this belongs here, on the Doctor Who forum or on whatever forum we should put uncovering the occult mysteries that have baffled Western Culture.
    Watching this classic Doctor Who serial I noted some interesting references to the great game. In episode three the Brigadier seems to be describing a game in progress when he says 'Queensway, Lancaster Gate, Strand, Chancery Lane all in half an hour' Earlier there were references to Chancery Lane, South Ken, Holborn and the Post Office Tower. In episode 4 the Brig discusses tactics with Captain Knight:
    Knight: There's just a chance, sir, we might be able to get to Holborn via Piccadilly
    Lethbridge-Stuart: Fungus on the Central Line only eh?
    Knight: Well,it's worth a try sir.
    Lethbridge-Stuart: Yes right, Tottenham Court Road, down to Leicester Square and up past Covent Garden.

Stirling stuff as Harold Chorley might have said. But and this is the puzzler, not the kind of direct play one would have expected when the serial was made back in the sixties - this is so stripped back its almost punk. We did see this kind of direct approach at an international level in the seventies and eighties. Is there a clue here then to the Unit Dating Conundrum? There is an ongoing argument about when these stories are set and it could be anywhere between the mid sixties and the late seventies. Was the writer giving us a clue. But how could someone writing in the sixties use tactics that were more common decades later?

I don't know, but this story was co-written by Henry Lincoln, the man who uncovered a conspiracy running all through Western History involving Newton, Da Vinci and many others and found that a bunch of people who everyone, including apparently themselves, thought were a group of French neo-fascists were really the direct line descendants of Jesus Christ, so anything is possible. Could it be that the entire script contains references to a game of Mornington Crescent and might that game if replayed enable us to discover the secret of the Templars and at the same time resolve the Unit Dating Conundrum?
Working...
X