Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

The Web of Fear and The Mornington Crescent Code

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by white wolf's son View Post

Postodave , you are uncanny !!! recently I have turned up in many places without knowing how or why I got there...one time was on top of a bus in Tooting....another was in The Moorcock Inn with a Pole Dancer....I do remember several pints and a few single malts had something to do with it.....so that being said , I'm still lost ....the nearest street sign says Wandsworth Common.....am I still in London ?????
    Wandsworth Common is a masterstroke. Hesitantly East Putney. I want to be clear that any of us could be under the control of the Intelligence. We would be looking for someone who was showing remarkable aptitude at some skill which relied on concentrated rational thought, a complex game for example. Who was prone to turning up in places without knowing how they got there. We would also be looking for changes in speech patterns, so that speech became slow and ponderous and words seemed harder to form. We might also find a change in gait as if the person was not not fully in control of their limbs. So far it could be any of us.

Comment

Posto , it sounds like a night at The Moorcock Inn or a bit like the foreword to the History of the Runestaff..Then the earth grew old , it's ways becoming whimsical and strange....yep , it's karaoke night in the Bill Shankly Suite . I think I'm still on Wandsworth Common , I've been wandering about for ages and met these lovely little creatures looking to clear up all the litter...when I asked where I was they mentioned something about Wimbledon but I don't see anyone playing tennis ...must be the social distancing but I think I am lost again....and there's no sign of a pub here .....ochhhh I'll keep on walking....oops I think I just stepped on of the wee litter pickers .....for small creatures their language is nearly as bad as Jerry Cornelius with a hangover .....I think I need some help

, [Ok Emerson ...oot the motor !!!!

Comment

Posto , it sounds like a night at The Moorcock Inn or a bit like the foreword to the History of the Runestaff..Then the earth grew old , it's ways becoming whimsical and strange....yep , it's karaoke night in the Bill Shankly Suite . I think I'm still on Wandsworth Common , I've been wandering about for ages and met these lovely little creatures looking to clear up all the litter...when I asked where I was they mentioned something about Wimbledon but I don't see anyone playing tennis ...must be the social distancing but I think I am lost again....and there's no sign of a pub here .....ochhhh I'll keep on walking....oops I think I just stepped on of the wee litter pickers .....for small creatures their language is nearly as bad as Jerry Cornelius with a hangover .....I think I need some help

Actually it sounds like the opening of Iris Wildthyme and the Polythene Terror. In this story Iris is put on trial by her mysterious superiors the Good Night Ladies and exiled to Earth in the year 1976. She had been travelling around the universe in a double decker bus which was slightly smaller on the inside than the out. The bus is sent to Earth and lands on Putney Common where a group of children have just been attacked by a pile of rubbish in human form. She then joins forces with the secret military organisation Miaow (Ministry for Incursions and Ontological Wonders) to fight the polycenes who she meets in a bar called the Grapes of Wrath over a gin and tonic.

Wandsworth Common. Wimbledon Park then.

Do you think Pietro could have been taken over?

Comment

I shall enter the timeslip - take a jump to the left - and then a step to the right and so end up in Richmond.

Comment

Originally posted by sandy View Post
            I shall enter the timeslip - take a jump to the left - and then a step to the right and so end up in Richmond.
            Given what has been happening you will understand why we are wary of newcomers. I would play Chancery Lane at this point. I don't think that is giving too much away. A few questions though.
            1. Have you been having memory lapses, periods of time you don't remember?
            2. Do you sometimes speak in a deep spooky voice?
            3. Do you have a fondness for fur?
            4. Are you now or have you ever been dead, or given up for dead?
            5. Do you work for the BBC?
            6. Are you science or military?
            You will understand we have to be careful.
            And, I almost forgot, have you been to Tibet recently and have you ever used a name that is also that of a Buddhist master?

Comment

After turning up, slightly out of phase at Stratford (East), I Found myself, sidestepped, alighting at, Maastricht Centraal. Luckily, I have been keeping a small, temporary, pied à temporal, in that ancient city. Despite the recent pestilence which has ravaged this reality, the constant reminders to vigilance, hygiene & distance, I was able to visit favourite haunts. I could read, under a parasol on the terraces, whilst enjoying the region's excellent beers. I particularly enjoyed the town brewery's, Maltezer (6.5%). However, the still looming sense of recent catastrophe dampened my spirit & I forwent the chance to travel south into Belgium, to visit ancient, Outremeuse, birth place of Georges Simenon, Maigret & Tchantchès, again.

https://wepa.unima.org/en/thantches/

So, it may take me some time to make my way back to Liverpool Street.
              Last edited by Pietro_Mercurios; 06-20-2020, 05:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Pietro_Mercurios View Post
                After turning up, slightly out of phase at Stratford (East), I Found myself, sidestepped, alighting at, Maastricht Centraal. Luckily, I have been keeping a small, temporary, pied à temporal, in that ancient city. Despite the recent pestilence which has ravaged this reality, the constant reminders to vigilance, hygiene & distance, I was able to visit favourite haunts. I could read, under a parasol on the terraces, whilst enjoying the region's excellent beers. I particularly enjoyed the town brewery's, Maltezer (6.5%). However, the still looming sense of recent catastrophe dampened my spirit & I forwent the chance to travel south into Belgium, to visit ancient, Outremeuse, birth place of Georges Simenon, Maigret & Tchantchès, again.

https://wepa.unima.org/en/thantches/

So, it may take me some time to make my way back to Liverpool Street.
                Again, we need to be wary, after this interval for travel you are coming from outside our bubble and so we may rightly suspect that you are under control of the Intelligence. No one is beyond suspicion. I have noticed a lot of play has been around the Putney area but no one has tried East Putney yet. I'll go with that. Meanwhile Pietro, why should we trust you? It could be any of us.

Comment

Posto , I managed to get on a bus for free ( used my OAP travel pass ) but I was thrown off at East Putney as the driver didn't believe I was over 150 years old . I'm now again totally lost but I see an edifice called The Dog and Flag , the social distancing must still be in force as the barmaid threw my pint at me , I salvaged about a quarter of it and I'm not paying ........I think I should look for another bus.....if I can find Hyde Park I may well do a speech...

, [Ok Emerson ...oot the motor !!!!

Comment

Originally posted by postodave View Post

Again, we need to be wary, after this interval for travel you are coming from outside our bubble and so we may rightly suspect that you are under control of the Intelligence. No one is beyond suspicion. I have noticed a lot of play has been around the Putney area but no one has tried East Putney yet. I'll go with that. Meanwhile Pietro, why should we trust you? It could be any of us.
                    You're quite correct, it could be any of us. Anyway, weather being so hot, I'm off to 1967 & Camden Town to see if I can track down some decent cheesecloth shirts at the market.

Comment

Posto , I managed to get on a bus for free ( used my OAP travel pass ) but I was thrown off at East Putney as the driver didn't believe I was over 150 years old . I'm now again totally lost but I see an edifice called The Dog and Flag , the social distancing must still be in force as the barmaid threw my pint at me , I salvaged about a quarter of it and I'm not paying ........I think I should look for another bus.....if I can find Hyde Park I may well do a speech...
                      Hyde Park Corner? Then I would play Holland Park. Or was the move East Putney. Really we should be putting the moves in capitals. Pietro has played Camden Town so he would have to be following East Putney unless he was reversing the polarity from Hyde Park Corner. Okay, let's say he was then NOTTING HILL GATE. Definitely. Let's see what that does for the Neutron flow!

Comment

I think now would a good time to review where we are up to. Originally I had hoped to find a solution to the Unit dating conundrum or at the very least to resolve once and for all all the occult mysteries of the last 2,000 years. We seem to have made some if limited progress.

The game has rambled a great deal and been quite slow. No one has been near Tooting Beck. This would suggest that the Web of Fear took place in the late sixties when longer slower games were more common. That would place the Pertwee Unit stories in the seventies albeit 10 minutes in the future. We have detected some influence of an outside force directing game play. There seems to be a nexus around Putney Common and another around Notting Hill. This suggest a need for a broader canon including at least two persons who have appeared in extended Who media but not on TV. I think we may need to take the game closer to the references in the Web of Fear in order to make progress. I will not make a play at present as that would be playing out of turn but I think it is clear where I would be going.

Would anyone disagree?

Comment

Working...
                        X