Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Death of Oliver Postgate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Death of Oliver Postgate

Oliver Postgate, 1925-2008

The name won't perhaps mean very much to non-UK domiciles but Oliver Postgate, working with the artist and puppeteer Peter Firmin, bequeathed the nation's children of the 1960s and '70s a wealth of animated series that rightly became beloved classics, such as Bagpuss, Noggin the Nog, Ivor the Engine and my personal favourite, The Clangers.

_"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
    _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
    _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
    _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

The Soupdragon will never be forgotten.

Comment

I feel like a little bit of my childhood has passed away.

The Clangers will always be my best children's series, but everything Postgate and Firmin produced was great. Magical TV from a more innocent time.

Comment

Thay did actually show some of Clangers on my local PBS station back in the early 70's. It was one of those things I saw when I was a kid and remembered vividly but never found out what it was until I was grown. Then of course there's the episode of DW with the Master watching them ...

Comment

You can get both series of The Clangers on DVD. It gets watched constantly in our house.

My favourite Postgate series was Pogles' Wood; probably because it was one of the first TV series I ever watched. The first comic I got regularly was Pippin.

Even better than Pogles' Wood, though is the legendary first series The Pogles:
          http://www.dragons-friendly-society....les/pogvhs.htm
          Shown once and never repeated, it is seriously weird.

The only childrens' TV that has ever come close to Postgate and Firmin is Wallace and Grommit imho.

Comment

Originally posted by johneffay View Post
            The only childrens' TV that has ever come close to Postgate and Firmin is Wallace and Grommit imho.
            Magic Roundabout forever, mate...

Sorry to hear about Oliver Postgate: I knew the name rang a bell somewhere. He brings back a lot of happy memories.

Des
            Spacerockmanifesto on Facebook

Hawkwind tabs

Comment

Originally posted by UncleDes View Post
              Magic Roundabout forever, mate...
              Fair point. I'd probably blotted it out of my memory owing to the recent film version (not The Blue Cat, obviously, because that's brilliant). If you have not seen it, do not give in to temptation! It's so awful that even my tiny daughter (as she was then) hated it.

Comment

Much as I loved - and still love - the Clangers and Bagpuss, there were so many other sides to Oliver Postgate, all clever, kind and fascinating.

Have a read of his website, http://www.oliverpostgate.co.uk/ and if you can, try get copies of the Elastic Planet radio series. Great mix of surreal, intelligent and funny.

Comment

Very sad to hear this news. His output looms large in memories of my childhood, and they are about the only thing from back then that I can still watch and unreservedly enjoy. As Jherek said, it's as if a little bit of that has gone forever. A magnificent legacy to leave behind.
                  You see, it's... it's no good, Montag. We've all got to be alike. The only way to be happy is for everyone to be made equal.

-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-

Image Hive :-: Wikiverse :-: Media Hive

:-: Onsite Offerings :-:

"I am an observer of life, a non-participant who takes no sides. I am in the regimented society, but not of it." Moondog, 1964

Comment

Working...
                  X