Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Jim Cawthorn

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jim Cawthorn

A third close friend died this year and I'm pretty devastated. Jim Cawthorn and I had worked together since the mid-fifties, from Burroughsania to New Worlds and on. He illustrated some of my DAW books, including Elric books. Indeed, he and I worked out Elric's appearance together before I had written a complete story. He was also an excellent writer.
    He died Tuesday December 2nd, some days before his 79th birthday (21 Dec).

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in Europe:
    The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
    Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in the USA:
    The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
    Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

I am very, very sorry for your loss, Mike.

A loss to us all.

This is distressing to hear. I really enjoyed looking at his artwork in books and online and liked reading about him here and also checking out his stuff on the Savoy site.

I greatly admire Jim Cawthorn and his work.

He will be remembered.

My deepest sympathies go to Jim's family and friends.
    Last edited by lemec; 12-03-2008, 07:23 AM.

"With a deep, not-unhappy sigh, Elric prepared to do battle with an army." (Red Pearls)
    - Michael Moorcock

Comment

I'm so sorry to read this, Mike.
      My condolences.
      Ani Maamin B'emunah Sh'leimah B'viyat Hamashiach. V'af al pi sheyitmahmehah im kol zeh achake lo b'chol yom sheyavo.

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." - Phillip K. Dick

Comment

Oh my goodness Mike, this is a shock, and must be very hard to bear, especially after so many recent losses.

Jim C seemed like one of those names who would always be around, as long as two or more readers got together and talked about Elric, or his splendid 100 Best Fantasy Novels book, or many other things.

The current highly respectful, and history-rich, Elric paperback series is a great tribute to one of his major contributions to the culture.

My deepest condolences, Mike.

Comment

Unbelievably terrible luck this. Best wishes Mike. Condolences too.
          Infinite complexity according to simple rules.

Comment

Wow. When I read the name on the thread heading I almost thought (hoped) it was a bad joke. So very sorry to hear this, Mike. 2008 has taken far too much from you and us. My heartfelt condolences.

Comment

I'm very sorry for your loss, Mike. Given Jim's long association with both you and Elric it's hard not to feel that we've lost one of Elric's 'parents' as much as you've lost a close and life-long friend. My deepest condolences to you.
              _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
              _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
              _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
              _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

Very sorry to hear of his passing Mike,
                I always enjoyed his art vision of your work.

Found this recent self-portrait at the Savoy site,
                if it's not copyright kosher to post it then please remove it.
                Last edited by Talisant; 12-03-2008, 04:28 PM.
                "A man is no man who cannot have a fried mackerel when he has set his mind on it; and more especially when he has money in his pocket to pay for it." - E.A. Poe's NICHOLAS DUNKS; OR, FRIED MACKEREL FOR DINNER

Comment

So very sorry to hear this Mike. My sincere condolences to you and all his friends and family.
                  You see, it's... it's no good, Montag. We've all got to be alike. The only way to be happy is for everyone to be made equal.

-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-

Image Hive :-: Wikiverse :-: Media Hive

:-: Onsite Offerings :-:

"I am an observer of life, a non-participant who takes no sides. I am in the regimented society, but not of it." Moondog, 1964

Comment

Really sad to read the news about Jim Cawthorn, Mike.

Comment

This is terrible news, especially coming so soon after the passing of Barry Bayley. My heart sank when I saw Jim's name at the head of the new post lists and was hoping it was to do with something else. Sincere condolences Mike on this latest loss of one of your oldest friends and collaborators.

I hope its not inappropriate to post a link to the interview with Jim from the Savoy site that originally appeared in his adaptation of Jewel In The Skull. It's a nice overview of his career to the end of the 1970s:

http://www.savoy.abel.co.uk/HTML/cawth.html
                      'You know, I can't keep up with you. If I hadn't met you in person, I quite honestly would NOT believe you really existed. I just COULDN'T. You do so MUCH... if half of what goes into your zines is to be believed, you've read more at the age of 17 than I have at the age of 32 - LOTS more'

Archie Mercer to Mike (Burroughsania letters page, 1957)

Comment

I'm so very sorry that this year has taken so much.

Comment

I'm sorry for yet another terrible loss. We all wish you peace.
                          "It has been argued that God demands only that men and women should demand much of themselves."

Lucifer

Comment

Sorry to hear about this. He was a talented artist.

Des
                            Spacerockmanifesto on Facebook

Hawkwind tabs

Comment

I'm very sorry to hear you lost another good friend Mike.
                              Kevin McCabe
                              The future is there, looking back at us. Trying to make sense of the fiction we will have become. William Gibson

Comment

Working...
                              X