Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Barrington Bayley (1937-2008)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Barrington Bayley (1937-2008)

Mike's dear friend Barry Bayley died yesterday, October 14th.
    Infinite complexity according to simple rules.

Obituary on revolutionsf website (actually Rick Klaw's blog).

Deepest condolences to Barry's family, Mike and everyone else who knew him.
    Last edited by David Mosley; 10-16-2008, 12:09 AM.
    _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
    _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
    _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
    _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

My condolences to you, his family and all his other friends.

Comment

My sympathies to Barry's friends and family.

"With a deep, not-unhappy sigh, Elric prepared to do battle with an army." (Red Pearls)
        - Michael Moorcock

Comment

http://www.locusmag.com/2008/News_Ob...tonBayley.html

Obituary: Barrington J. Bayley

UK science fiction writer Barrington J. Bayley, born 1937, died
          yesterday, October 14, 2008, at the age of 71, from complications
          following bowel cancer.

Bayley's first published story was "Combat's End" in Vargo Statten
          Science Fiction Magazine in 1954. In the 1960s he published regularly in
          New Worlds magazine and then various New Worlds anthologies, with
          notable stories including "All the King's Men" (1965), "The Ship of
          Disaster" (1965), and "The Four-Color Problem" (1971).

His idiosyncratic, complex, sometimes gloomy novels began with Star
          Virus (1964, US publication 1970) and included over a dozen novels
          published in the US by Ace and later DAW, among them Collision Course
          (aka Collision with Chronos, 1972), The Fall of Chronopolis (1974), The
          Soul of the Robot (1974), The Garments of Caean (1976), and The Zen Gun
          (1982).

Most recent works include novel The Sinners of Erspia (2002, Wildside
          Press) and short stories "The Multiplex Fixative" in Fantasy Annual 5
          (2003) and "Party Smart Card" in Nature March 30, 2006.

John Clute in The Encyclopedia of Science Fiction (1993) noted Bayley's
          influence on writers such as M. John Harrison, and wrote

"..perhaps because BJB's style is sometimes laboured and his lack of
          cheerful endings is alien to the expectations of readers of conventional
          space opera, he has yet to receive due recognition for the hard-edged
          control he exercises over plots whose intricate dealings in time
          paradoxes and insistent metaphysical drive make them some of the most
          formidable works of their type. "

Fan site Astounding Worlds of Barring Bayley includes this profile of
          his career, with a photo of the author, who is called the "zen master of
          modern space opera".
          Infinite complexity according to simple rules.

Comment

That's very sad news indeed, and a great loss.

Comment

Moonglum passes Very very sad to hear this. Condolences to Barry's family and to Mike on losing such a close friend. I didn't realise when I first read it years ago, but Barry has a 'guest spot' in Warlord Of The Air and Mike has said Jephraim Tallow was based on Barry also. Of course, their early writing careers were very closely intertwined.

For anyone who hasn't seen it, there's a great article at Fantastic Metropolis, The Bayley-Moorcock Letters - a fascinating discussion between these two great men, and very illuminating:

http://www.fantasticmetropolis.com/i/bayley/
              'You know, I can't keep up with you. If I hadn't met you in person, I quite honestly would NOT believe you really existed. I just COULDN'T. You do so MUCH... if half of what goes into your zines is to be believed, you've read more at the age of 17 than I have at the age of 32 - LOTS more'

Archie Mercer to Mike (Burroughsania letters page, 1957)

Comment

Very shocked to read this. My sympathies to Barry's family, and to Mike and all others who have lost a close friend.
                You see, it's... it's no good, Montag. We've all got to be alike. The only way to be happy is for everyone to be made equal.

-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-

Image Hive :-: Wikiverse :-: Media Hive

:-: Onsite Offerings :-:

"I am an observer of life, a non-participant who takes no sides. I am in the regimented society, but not of it." Moondog, 1964

Comment

I'm pretty badly cut up. Anyone interested can go to this site, which is a bit out of date http://oivas.com/bjb/ but otherwise pretty thorough. Most of Barry's books are available in POD editions. I usually recommend The Knights of the Limits as the best book to start with (substantial short stories). John Clute will be doing an obituary for The Independent and I'll be doing a memoir for LOCUS.
                  He was my oldest friend, apart from a childhood friend, and we wrote many features and comics in partnership.
                  Shared digs off and on until I was married.

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in Europe:
                  The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
                  Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in the USA:
                  The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
                  Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

So Sad. Deepest sympathy to friends and family alike.
                    Does it follow that I reject all authority? Perish the thought. In the matter of boots, I defer to the authority of the boot-maker.
                    Bakunin

Comment

Sympathies and condolences.

Comment

Sorry to hear of the loss of your friend Mike.
                        My deepest condolences.
                        "I hate to advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone,but they've always worked for me"

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

How sad. Sorry to read about your loss, Mike.

My condolences to Barry's other friends and family too.

Comment

Barry Bayley

Originally posted by Michael Moorcock View Post
                            I'm pretty badly cut up. Anyone interested can go to this site, which is a bit out of date http://oivas.com/bjb/ but otherwise pretty thorough. Most of Barry's books are available in POD editions. I usually recommend The Knights of the Limits as the best book to start with (substantial short stories). John Clute will be doing an obituary for The Independent and I'll be doing a memoir for LOCUS.
                            He was my oldest friend, apart from a childhood friend, and we wrote many features and comics in partnership.
                            Shared digs off and on until I was married.
                            Mike: I'm extremely sorry to hear about Barry's death. I was exchanging e-mails with him just a matter of months ago -- but I hadn't known he was seriously ill.

Like you in NW, we published quite a number of stories by him in Interzone. Some of those quirky stories of his stick in the mind, many years later.

-- David P.

Comment

Very sad and sorry to hear of the passing of B.J. Bayley.

My heartfelt condolences to Mike, and all of Barry's friends and family.

Tom Beament

Comment

Working...
                              X