Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Death of Robert Jordan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Death of Robert Jordan

It appears that Robert Jordan, author of The Wheel of Time series, has died. He had been suffering from the debilitating disease amyloidosis for over a year. He was 58.

http://www.dragonmount.com/RobertJordan *

*(Web site may be unresponsive at times due to increased traffic because of the news.)

Also now on http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/6999578.stm
    Last edited by David Mosley; 09-17-2007, 01:24 PM.
    _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
    _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
    _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
    _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

That's sad - and only 58 too... younger than my dad.

I guess someone else will finish his Wheel of Time series... Like David Gemmell - these guys are dying off too young these days..

I got into Robert.E. Howard via one of Jordan's pastiche efforts in the mid 80's.
    Last edited by devilchicken; 09-17-2007, 07:03 PM.
    Batman: It's a low neighborhood, full of rumpots. They're used to curious sights, which they attribute to alcoholic delusions.

Robin: Gosh, drink is sure a filthy thing, isn't it? I'd rather be dead than unable to trust my own eyes!

Comment

Damn... I did not know anything of this. He was one of my favourite authors... I cannot believe he died!

Nobody could finish the Wheel Of Time series for him, his talent is- was so unique... If someone else finished it, it would be so different... This is so terrible, I'm pain-stricken.

He was such a good person, very lovely talent. He was inspiration to me, as are a few other authors....

May his soul rest in peace and his legacy live on... He will be remembered as inspiration to some of us who loved his work, and will live on in the hearts of his fans.

Rest In Peace Robert Jordan.
      They're all true... Especially the lies.

Comment

From what I understand he started jotting it out the rest of the book in note form when he realised that he probably wouldn't be able to finish it himself.
        Batman: It's a low neighborhood, full of rumpots. They're used to curious sights, which they attribute to alcoholic delusions.

Robin: Gosh, drink is sure a filthy thing, isn't it? I'd rather be dead than unable to trust my own eyes!

Comment

That is good to hear, though I hope that if someone does finish it, they will do a good job...

Comment

hey maybe he will pop back up next year like all the people in his stories... lol

the dead dont always stay dead you know
            XXVIII

Truth - We are not Free.
            Dogma - We must obey.

Comment

I know of at least one other person who died from this. There is a charitable foundation in his honor.

http://www.chipmiller.org/

Tony

Comment

Originally posted by Samson View Post
                hey maybe he will pop back up next year like all the people in his stories... lol

the dead dont always stay dead you know
                I seriousely wish that was the case...

Comment

Originally posted by tvissoc View Post
                  I know of at least one other person who died from this. There is a charitable foundation in his honor.

http://www.chipmiller.org/

Tony
                  Thanks for the link Tvissoc.

That's really good to here... I wish they could find a cure for it... So sad that he had to go like that though.

But at least his mark is made in this life and that he was known as someone of such great talent.

Comment

Although I did not think much of his "Wheel of Time" books, I did think very highly of the man himself (and he wrote a few half decent "Conan" books, which is always a plus). And though I may not have liked his books, many did, a sad loss

Comment

Working...
                    X